How many and differances in Shaolin Kempo

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
You like the style Joe? Have you studied any other styles so you can compare? :)
Good point! Once you have trained at a few different dojos and found one who's instructors KNOWS REAL FIGHTING you can compare better.

Also you didnt teach for them so you didnt see the behind the scenes stuff. And these great masters that you look up to haven't burned you!!!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
In all fairness, If you like something, you know it immediately. If you don't like something, you know it, faster than that. In addition to the fighting side, And let me stress that I'm definitely not a fan of theirs, Mr Demasco, and Mr. Mattera, crappy business practices aside, could "represent" if in a fight.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No I've never been an instructor for ussd, and aside from three semester's of a self defence class I had not been taught the fighting arts formally.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That being said though I am very interested in Kara-Ho and American Kenpo, and Kajukenbo, though I don't know very much about those styles.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That being said though I am very interested in Kara-Ho and American Kenpo, and Kajukenbo, though I don't know very much about those styles.

I don't know how long you've been studying for, but when you are ready to move on sit down and make a list of the specific style you've been studying and include the following.

What you like
What you don't like
What you would like to learn more of
What you really don't care to learn

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, and if I do leave ussd at the end of my contract I am taking all those things into consideration.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mariachi Joe- If you want to learn about those styles just use the SEARCH function. There is a ton of info. on each of the styles you mentioned...Right here on MT

I started into another "rant" about USSD but I am not going to do it-

Good luck

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks and I have learned a lot about Kara-Ho and William Chow here. I just figure that you don't really know a style until you've trained in it for awhile.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Soo true Joe! I know that in Kara-Ho it is fairly common to have instructors transfer into our system, get up to 1st degree BB then quite because it takes so long between ranks. If you read the posts on here from Grandmaster Kuoha you will notice he references the 6-10's (techniques) when someone asks what Professor Chow was teaching and working on toward the end, up until his death in 1987.

These techniques are taught to 2nd degree going for 3rd and they are far more complex than the material up to Shodan. Not very many people get past the probation for Shodan and to Nidan where these are first introduced, thus of the few folks that have trained in Kara-Ho, or seen it up close, even fewer have been taught these techniques.

Mind-blowing stuff to me ;)

Cheers!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well they are designed against multiple attackers and use quick vital point strikes to the opponent. The main difference between these techniques and the material up to BB is the way you move. Your head is never in the same place for more than a moment, and you move vertically as well.

These can be done in a large area or in a broom closet-
They are also not contingent on the type of attack from the uke/ attacker, in other words the 6-10's are used in a free fighting or "randori" style. The first move is designed against a specific attack but that is primarily for memory and to get comfortable when first learning them-

Again hard to explain, but amazing material!

James

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well they are designed against multiple attackers and use quick vital point strikes to the opponent. The main difference between these techniques and the material up to BB is the way you move. Your head is never in the same place for more than a moment, and you move vertically as well.

These can be done in a large area or in a broom closet-
They are also not contingent on the type of attack from the uke/ attacker, in other words the 6-10's are used in a free fighting or "randori" style. The first move is designed against a specific attack but that is primarily for memory and to get comfortable when first learning them-

Again hard to explain, but amazing material!

James

Sounds more practical than ussd stuff.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good point! Once you have trained at a few different dojos and found one who's instructors KNOWS REAL FIGHTING you can compare better.

Also you didnt teach for them so you didnt see the behind the scenes stuff. And these great masters that you look up to haven't burned you!!!

True true. Once you study other styles, you will come to find out how mixed up ussd really is. Granted that their brand of KEMPO is not band, there is more to the art. However, business practices that they do are realllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy shady. I got screwed so hard by the organization, and no, I didn't have a smile on my face afterwards, that I had to leave. Let's just say that I left on really bad terms, had a surgery thanks to the "Professional instruction" they give at a class in HQ. I have since moved on from USSD after training for years in the Shaolin kempo system to find out there is soooooo much more out there. Try to learn as much as you can even if it means burning that USSD bridge.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
True true. Once you study other styles, you will come to find out how mixed up ussd really is. Granted that their brand of KEMPO is not band, there is more to the art. However, business practices that they do are realllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy shady. I got screwed so hard by the organization, and no, I didn't have a smile on my face afterwards, that I had to leave. Let's just say that I left on really bad terms, had a surgery thanks to the "Professional instruction" they give at a class in HQ. I have since moved on from USSD after training for years in the Shaolin kempo system to find out there is soooooo much more out there. Try to learn as much as you can even if it means burning that USSD bridge.

I hear ya, I left them wacky clowns a while ago.Theres some much out there that ussd does not teach.
I am sorry what happened to you at ussd. I saw a lot of injuries at ussd.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I hear ya, I left them wacky clowns a while ago.Theres some much out there that ussd does not teach.
I am sorry what happened to you at ussd. I saw a lot of injuries at ussd.

Thanks. I've seen them too and it's sad that an injury was the icing on the cake to end my career with ussd...that and i was so underappreciated there. they didn't like me at all and i was a good moneymaker...oh well. such is life.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I've seen them too and it's sad that an injury was the icing on the cake to end my career with ussd...that and i was so underappreciated there. they didn't like me at all and i was a good moneymaker...oh well. such is life.

I hear you. If could just own the dojo100% and they change their attitude things would better.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yep. They would put her in a studio and the enrollment would quadruple in 6 months. Plus, she was a good instructor which was extremely rare in the USSD. They treated her like crap, she went form Placentia to Seal Beach and several of us followed her there.That didn't make her too popular either since she was accused of stealing us from the first studio. But the truth was we all went of our own accord. She didn't want to tone down the way she taught and the USSD HQ didn't like that. When she quit, so did a lot of us.

Now I am extremely happy in Kajukenbo.

Tenguru

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As for the animal tests, they are, in a way, another way for United Studios to make money. But at the same time they are a great opportunity to get to know yourself and your own abilities and limits.
The Tiger Test - $50 - tests your endurance and tenacity. It pushes your body to its physical limits, but at the same time is a very mental test.
The Crane Test - $50 - tests your balance and agility.
The Snake Test - $50 - is more a clinic where you learn more about chi and meditation as well as accurate, pinpoint strikes and fluid movements.
The Leopard Test - $75 - is the longest test of all of them (aside from the Dragon). At the beginning of the test, at least at mine, here in Utah, Master Clegg tought us a leopard defensive technique (a kempo technique), and we practiced it on eachother. To this day it's one of my favorite techniques. Afterward we went to the Provo CLAS rope course, where we spent about five hours. This test for me, was a very mental test, being that I'm terrified of heights. And there were a lot of heights involved.
The Dragon Test - $500 (yes, that's right) - is a super-secret test that you can only take after you've taken all four of the other tests. You're given a period of six weeks in which to complete the test. The only thing I know about it is that part of the test involves becoming certified in CPR.

I can't believe I just read that.

Latest Discussions