How long was yur black belt test?

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Before my old instructor truly took the money rather than quality route
-1st dan: About 13 hours. Started Friday night at 7pm and went until 230am then we were back at 7am for another 6 or 7 hours. Couldn't walk for a week!!!

After my old instructor truly took the money rather than quality route
- 2nd dan: 3 hours and pretty much a joke.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First black belt test (Nahate Goju) - 8.5 hours
Second Black Belt test (ATA) - 3 hours/20 min of activity
Third Black belt test (Jujika Jujutsu) - 12 hours spread out over 6 classes
IKCA Black belt test - haven't taken it yet but soon, I estimate 30-45 minutes

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well let's see if I can remember back then.....Ummm......yes, I do recall it lasted all day(4AM until the sun was long asleep!!!) Something I will always cherish, but never would repeat ;)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My fist one took a little under an hour in TKD
My first one in Sikaran took way more than a couple hours
Others have ranged from 2 to 4 hours.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tough to remember now! I think 3 - 4 hours. 2nd dan was actually done in 3 parts on 3 separate days so probably 9 hours total for that one.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first test was in Karate and it was an 12 hour exam,that was back in 1975. My second was about 4 hours in 1978 and my third was about the same and the fourth was around two hours. MY fifth degree was only an hour and is was informal.

In TKD my first dan was three days, second was eight hours and my third was about six, my fourth I got three oe fours years ago and it was only 3 hours long but it was a great test.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1st Dan - all day... but there were multiple test boards going, and the test included a tournament amongst all of those testing. All present were testing for I Dan

2nd Dan - all day - multiple groups testing, but only 1 board; groups were by rank being tested for - 2-5th dan that day

3rd Dan - 5 hours? - 12 or 13 people testing, for ranks from I-VI Dan

4th Dan - 3 hours - but it was just me and one of my students who was testing for I Dan, and I was on the floor 95% of the time.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1st Dan 1985 was about 4 hours.

2nd Dan 1988 was about 5 hours.

3rd Dan 2007 was 3 hours.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shodan was 6 hours...probably 3 hours of technical review the rest was hazing and physical BS..
Nidan @ 4 hours maybe 5...same mix
sandan was less
yodan was 3 hours...heavy warm ups 50 of every strike from every stance....technical
godan was all technical and lasted a little more than 3 hours
rokudan was again another 3 hours....all technical

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
6 years.

My teacher believed that you are testing every moment that you sped on the mat.

The exam for shodanho was about 30 minutes or so.
Shodan: 1 to 2 hours including the conditioning test.
Nidan 2 hours
Sandan 4 hours
Yondan about 1 hour of physical demonstration and two hours of verbaly explaining teaching theory, concepts and principles.

For those that took 9 to 12 hour tests could you please describe what all you did? I've tested a bunch of folks for black belt and can't find a way to make the test last that long. Not being disrespectful, I curious.

Mark

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a more appropriate and useful question would be,

How much time did you spend on the floor doing technique?

During some tests, there are a lot of folk sitting around waiting to take their turn and show their stuff for a lot of time.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yasashii Do Shodan: Wasn't told I was testing - I gave an hour long demonstration of various forms and principles and was surprise promoted following the demonstration.

Yasashii Do Nidan: About an hour long formal test, informally tested during class for the prior month.

Yasashii Do Sandan & teaching credential: 6 months of supervised instruction of specific material with a variety of students, one scheduled class every week unsupervised instruction of a variety of students, formal test about an hour.

IKCA Black : bout 45 minutes.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My tests have varied a little but not much. First degree was testing for multiple ranks high red to 2nd degree. Second degree was just a few people all testing for the same rank. Third degree students were testing for higher Dans 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. These were all mentally and physically demanding tests.

1ST DEGREE 6 1/2 HR
2ND DEGREE 3 TO 4 HRS
3RD DEGREE 5 1/2 HRS

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My black belt test was 8 hours. It was hard... but I will never forget it.

kosho

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, how long was yur black belt test?

hmmm not there yet. but I know it will be a minimum of 10 hours long, possibly 11 or 12. three of them are a written essay history and vocabulary test. the rest is run and kata and spirit test ... in short I will not be able to do more then stager out after its over when the time comes.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shodan - all day
Nidan - roughly 8 hrs
Sandan - same as Nidan
Yondan - 10 hrs- two 5 hr days
Godan - 4 hrs day one, 3 hrs day two

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine was about 3 1/2 hrs, but I was the only one testing (all the other candidates dropped out one-by-one in the weeks leading up to the test). I felt very much 'exposed' on the floor the whole time - it was really easy for each member of the juidging panel to see if I messed up or not.

I threw several hundred punches/hand combinations/blocks/counters, several hundred kicks, demonstrated I-don't-know-how-many self defense techniques/combinations, did the forms, answered about a hundred rapid-fire questions on Korean terminology and culture, sparred about 15 consecutive rounds (once with each black belt testing that same day for their next dan or next black belt gup level), and then did my power breaks.