How long did it take to get yur black belt?

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am just curious how long it took people to get their black belt or belts. I know that the average time is a little different in each martial art system, so don't forget to tell the what style you blacked in.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD? 3 years give or take
Kenpo? year and a half (i came in already a brown belt so i didnt have to learn basic technique, just kenpo theory)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A little under two more years. I'm a 3d Brown Belt in (EPAK) Kenpo now.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Karate about 5 year and in TKD 4.5 years, I guess it just took me longer and I trained 6 dats a week for a couple of jours a day.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 years in TKD
more than that in Sikaran ( most took 10 + years when I joined the system)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just under 3 years...however, I was in the studio for 15-18 hours per week for over 2 years of that time.
The average is around 4-5 years.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How many of you Black Belts really feel your rank is equal to what your mind says a Black Belt should be?

It is not the lenght of time to earn a Black Belt? ...but you skills,cardio,speed,timing, and confidence is what makes a Black Belt...ONE who can fight back with proper skills......

IF you cannot beat any of your Brown belts...in a "free for all" light to medium contact type of sparring? .....90% of the time? ????

Try yourself against any boxer? ...most boxers will give you a hard time to most black belts....JUST MY OPINION HERE! ...AND experience here...

Lenght of time....is not the key...but your ability and training time put in? ...is the key. Those who train every day and daily...will improve better than those who only goes to class to train 2-3 times a week.

Aloha

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
2 years 2 months...that was to learn their material...I had been training for 4 years prior to that and my basics were very strong...

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will have been training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 8 years in June, and figure that I have a minimum of 6 months after before I'll be considered for black, probably more like another year.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seem like alot of folk have taken great leangth to getting there BB, so this makes me ask this question why is it we have so many under 25 fourth and fifth degree BB around these days?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It took me 7 years, but I was 1st Gup (brown belt in my school at that time) for a long time. I was very nervous about testing for school bb. I wished to to perfect on that test, and so I did not say "Yes" when my Instructor said to test.

Finally, though, He said, "You will test" -- and of course that is a directive, not a question -- we don't give back talk. And, I passed. 6 months later I was 1st Dan! I was in my early 20s then. MUCH faster than I am now.

Yes, if someone practices very hard every day, you can get a bb in TKD much sooner than I, but my personality kept me back.

There is no way that anyone can be 4th Degree in their early twenties. This is not possible to do. If anyone says otherwise, they are lying.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seem like alot of folk have taken great leangth to getting there BB, so this makes me ask this question why is it we have so many under 25 fourth and fifth degree BB around these days?
Because there are two very broad paths in the martial arts...

On one path, you get quick results, lots of tests, and often the instructor gears the program to what people want... which is that black belt, not the knowledge.

On the other... it's slower, longer, harder, and more painful, but you get the knowledge before the belt.

I'm reminded of a saying:
The rice grows fast, and lasts a season. The oak grows slowly, but lasts a century.

And a poem:
The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that, the passing there
had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no feet had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference
-- Robert Frost

Oh... and it took me 8 years or so, though I was away at college for one of those years. Minimum in my system is 5; average at least used to be around 7 or 8, though a lot depended on who your instructor was.

Latest Discussions