How do you rate this jeans and boots roundhouse kick?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It think it's the best angle.
Well, that is rather subjective. If you want a glamour shot to look your 'best' doing the kick, then I suppose so. If you want constructive criticism to improve that is not going to work. What do you want us to do with that photo?[/QUOTE]

Well I was told I look like I never kicked a day in my life....

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, that is rather subjective. If you want a glamour shot to look your 'best' doing the kick, then I suppose so. If you want constructive criticism to improve that is not going to work. What do you want us to do with that photo?

???
What are you looking for? You have posted videos that prove otherwise. If you are looking for help/improvement then ask questions. That photo with no commentary is just tacky.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
???
What are you looking for? You have posted videos that prove otherwise. If you are looking for help/improvement then ask questions. That photo with no commentary is just tacky.

Tacky
Vulgar, of bad taste, loud, flashy, stupid and ugly.

I'm quite proud that a kick could accomplish that.

Maybe work on your language..

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I was told I look like I never kicked a day in my life....
I wouldn't worry about comments like that "It comes with the meal". If you show what you can do then you are going to get comments that you won't agree with. Best thing is not to let the comments get you. You'll also hear things that are true but you don't want to believe it. Best thing is not to let the comments get to you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tacky
Vulgar, of bad taste, loud, flashy, stupid and ugly.

I'm quite proud that a kick could accomplish that.

Maybe work on your language..
That is great to hear. If you feel you are improving that is awesome.
Doesn't change the fact that posting a photo with no query or explanation is weird and/or tacky. I can choose plenty of words; just rolled with tacky.

Seriously, it is hard to tell much from the photo.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are right. That kick is perfect. Wow... I wish I could kick like that.

Can you teach me to kick like that?

Since you do Karate I would advice you to stop turtling your back and straighten your posture

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes I am ok, thank you for asking. I don't kick for his sake.
there getting your leg in to that position and then there is the mechanics of the kick, you know, speed and power which is impossible to ascertain from a best angle still, in fact any still!

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since you do Karate I would advice you to stop turtling your back and straighten your posture
Excellent! I will work on that right away. What about my footwork? How do I make my footwork as clean as yours?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It also helps to visualize a good blueprint in your head while doing the motion.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It also helps to visualize a good blueprint in your head while doing the motion.
Wow! The difference in my kicks is huge now. I stopped turtling my back and I am visualizing a good blue print... it even cleaned up my footwork. How are my kicks now? Are they getting closer to the quality of your kicks yet? How is my speed and power?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow! The difference in my kicks is huge now. I stopped turtling my back and I am visualizing a good blue print... it even cleaned up my footwork. How are my kicks now? Are they getting closer to the quality of your kicks yet? How is my speed and power?

Let's see.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not really. You're leaning WAY back for a kick that's not all that high, and your supporting foot isn't pivoted as far as it should be.
Also, make your bed, ya slob...

My supporting foot has the toes pointing to the side, that is a pivoted supporting foot.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
but yeah I was just trolling, it's OK, not perfect

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My supporting foot has the toes pointing to the side, that is a pivoted supporting foot.

It's not pivoted far enough. And you're leaning way too much. Between them, that tells me this kick is higher than you can kick effectively (even though it's not particularly high) and is going to leave you off balance, slow to recover, and lack power.
So, not perfect.

shutterstock85400269.jpg

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not pivoted far enough.

More pivot is double edged. It's very bad for mobility, since you get stuck in the mud.. Try kicking instantly off the KKW extreme pivot.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not pivoted far enough. And you're leaning way too much. Between them, that tells me this kick is higher than you can kick effectively (even though it's not particularly high) and is going to leave you off balance, slow to recover, and lack power.

Do you think this guy leans too much also?
_20210402_171649.JPG

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think this guy leans too much also? View attachment 23725

A more than ideal, perhaps, but he's pivoted properly, and he's kicking quite a bit higher than you. Higher kicks will usually require more of a lean. However, the more you lean, the longer it will take for you to recover after the kick. A rapid recovery requires incredible core strength.

d83d5e92b5f370fbfa5572efb1c935d5.jpg

Notice the pivot.

ChuckRoundhouse.png

Notice the pivot. And how little he leans for a kick that is MUCH higher than yours.

Do you think you know more about kicking than these two?

The picture you posted shows what I would consider an acceptable kick from a medium to high geup ranked student. But perfect? Please. Not even close.