Double roundhouse kick

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I forgot about those stretches. We used to do those alot in Tang Soo Do. Your right, those are the stretches that really get your hips and muscles all loosened up for high kicking more than the stationary stuff.

Yoshi, Beaned is a cute way to say "Hit". I love how he does that front kick right to the face like it's nothing while in arm range of him. wow.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the TST lineage we do use a short range hook kick , but this is mostly aimed at the legs . There is the odd occasion when we feel the need to slam our shin into somebodies gut or side of the ribcage but this is done only if we have control of an arm in a wrist latch .

This serves three purposes (A) It drags the attacker down into the kick , which increases the force of the kick . (B) It takes the arm out of the equation so that it can't be used to hit you or grab your leg . (C) It pulls the attacker off balance .

The type of kick you are describing must come from another art because it is the exact polar opposite of everthing I've ever been taught . Learn this kick if you must , to pass the requirements of your school . But then forget it and don't even think about using it in a real fight , it sounds very risky in my opinion and the chances of you being thrown onto your **** are very high .

Don't forget even untrained people still have reflexes , and one of their natural reflexes is for them to grab at any leg that comes up high enough for them to reach . One of the great strengths of Wing Chun is our ability to attack upper body targets and lower body targets at the exact same time in extremely close range from a stable stance , the ability to have three limbs working together in unison .

While flashy high kicks do look spectacular they are not part of the Wing Chun system , in my opinion your time would be better served trying to improve the speed and power of your Wing Chun chain kicking , in our school we used low heel kick , followed by hook kick on the same leg and then finish off with the other leg doing a stamp kick .

This barrage of low kicks can be completed in under a second and is used in conjunction with wrist latching and striking to the head . So in under a second you can completely destroy some ones leg with out having put your balance at risk and can be done in very little space , its not flashy , it probably won't impress your friends , but it is Wing Chun and it works.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You Rock, Mook! :)
Totally, totally agree. three limbs at the same time.
p.p.p. pow!

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a lad:) a long time ago......

I practised Northern Kung Fu, the 3 forms we studied were Gung Li, Tam tui and long fist.

The spellings of the first 2 are wrong but maybe the long fist is from Northern Kung Fu??

We definatley done round houses etc, I actually had some flexibiilty then too, but I was only 15.

Whilst I dont think the roundhouse is WC it wont do any harm to learn it as part of your long range game.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that this doesn't sound like WT/WC kicking, but that's not what you asked, you wanted advice for flexibility, so here'e my two cents worth.

Most people train for flexibility by doing static stretching, ie. trying to touch their chest to their leg while sitting on the floor, or any type of variation of that. The problem with that type of stretching is it doen't mimic the movement that you are stretching for, namely kicking.

To remedy this you should practice dynamic stretching.

first exercise: swing straight leg to the front as high as you can. Hold your outstretched arms out in front for a target.

second exercise : swing your leg out to the side stretching the inner thigh, again having your outstretched arm held out for a target.

third exercise : looking over your right shoulder swing your right leg to the rear as high as you can, torso will be inclined forward on this stretch. (And then repeat for left side)

IMPORTANT: warm up before doing these stretches. Many people think of streching as warming up, it's not. Run in place, do a stationary bike, jump rope, whatever to get a light sweat going and heart pumping a little, then perform these stretches. I do 3 sets of 10 of each stretch. Also don't try to go too far too fast. You may throw something out you'll want later. So progress slowly.

Then after your workout do the old fashioned static stretching as your cooldown.

Another tip. When kicking, practice slowly to bring more muscle memory into the kick instead of just relying on momentum.

Hope this helps.

Best advice I've read here in awhile.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are no roundhouse kicks in wing chun. By definition, they don't adhere to any of the laws in wing chun

However, his school may have adopted the technique for his brand of wing chun. However, I would be very dubious if the instructor was claiming it to be traditional wing chun

In Kamon we do sparring that involves hooks, uppercutts and overhands that are not part of the wing chun system (ie they aren't the hooks/uppercutts from chum kil/bil gee etc), but Sifu ensures that his students know this

Any technique which isn't wing chun, he will tell us. Or explain where a technique has come from

I hate wing chun schools where they see a 'wild' technique, adopt it and call it traditional wing chun. Certainly wing chun does evolve, but when it goes outside the principles of wing chun (economy of motion, centre line etc), then it should be a separate move

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting Kamon. For once we agree on something...lol...Well we agree on alot of things outside of wrestling,

My Sihing an I often practice Round House kicks together. We practice them as a two man drill. One man defends the other attacks. An we do this one after the other.

Its a pretty good drill.

I saw a school which taught both Hung Gar and WC. They tell you specifically which is WC and Which is HG.

There are no roundhouse kicks in wing chun. By definition, they don't adhere to any of the laws in wing chun

However, his school may have adopted the technique for his brand of wing chun. However, I would be very dubious if the instructor was claiming it to be traditional wing chun

In Kamon we do sparring that involves hooks, uppercutts and overhands that are not part of the wing chun system (ie they aren't the hooks/uppercutts from chum kil/bil gee etc), but Sifu ensures that his students know this

Any technique which isn't wing chun, he will tell us. Or explain where a technique has come from

I hate wing chun schools where they see a 'wild' technique, adopt it and call it traditional wing chun. Certainly wing chun does evolve, but when it goes outside the principles of wing chun (economy of motion, centre line etc), then it should be a separate move

Latest Discussions