The Axe Kick... Is it ever useful?

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Hi everybody! My name is Bee. I'm new here.

My question is this... Is there ever a point to training the axe kick? It seems so impractical. And I can imagine that by the time you raise your leg at the highest point, your opponent would've moved out of the way. I mean, if the guy is down on the floor and you're trying to murder him, I can see how the axe kick would be effective. It's a powerful move. But even then, you can always resort to stomping him to death...

I have fuzzy memories of Mirko Cro Cop (famed fighter in Pride FC, UFC, and K-1) successfully hitting an opponent with an axe kick, but outside of that fuzzy memory, I don't know of any professional martial artist ever using it against anybody ever.

Compare that with a roundhouse kick (Muay Thai style, not that shitty-*** Chuck Norris style) or a front kick, and you make the axe kick into an abomination by comparison. Roundhouse kicks and front kicks, with training, can be delivered with great speed. They are practical and useful both in martial sports and self defense. The axe kick looks sooo clunky it's not even funny. Why on earth was it even invented?

Or am I wrong in thinking it to be useless? What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes you are wrong and frankly your attitude seems a bit bad to me

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes you are wrong and frankly your attitude seems a bit bad to me

I'm sorry if I seem like I have a bad attitude. I have no intention of sounding offensive, I guarantee you that. This really is just the way I talk sometimes.

Again, I'm sorry.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never used an axe kick in sparring but could you potentially use it as part of a set-up, if you know your opponent is going to react predictably to it? Sure it won't be the finishing blow, but it could still be useful to make your opponent do something you want.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ax kick was one of my favorites and the go to kick of my instructor who won many tournaments, he was a 6'3 monster. He could kick a cigarette out of your mouth with a spin kick and could rip a heavy bag off its chain at will. The kick may not be effective for everyone. You need size, strength, speed and flexibly. If it's not for you, then that's ok. It's not that the kick doesn't work, it's that it doesn't work for you.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Useless for KO, perhaps. I have never seen a knockout from this kick, neither on competition or Street.

I think it is fun to do in training and, as a quite rare kick, makes you more unpredictable. Or vulnerable if badly executed. Can be used in combination and improve your flexibility...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My question is this... Is there ever a point to training the axe kick? It seems so impractical. And I can imagine that by the time you raise your leg at the highest point, your opponent would've moved out of the way. I mean, if the guy is down on the floor and you're trying to murder him, I can see how the axe kick would be effective. It's a powerful move. But even then, you can always resort to stomping him to death...

I have fuzzy memories of Mirko Cro Cop (famed fighter in Pride FC, UFC, and K-1) successfully hitting an opponent with an axe kick, but outside of that fuzzy memory, I don't know of any professional martial artist ever using it against anybody ever.

Compare that with a roundhouse kick (Muay Thai style, not that shitty-*** Chuck Norris style) or a front kick, and you make the axe kick into an abomination by comparison. Roundhouse kicks and front kicks, with training, can be delivered with great speed. They are practical and useful both in martial sports and self defense. The axe kick looks sooo clunky it's not even funny. Why on earth was it even invented?

Thank you.

Thank you.
I think you are mostly right, in that its one of those techniques' that can only be used if your very very good at it or your oppoinent is very poor.

if you can pull it off with out having your leg caught and ending up on your backside its pretty devistating

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Useless for KO, perhaps. I have never seen a knockout from this kick, neither on competition or Street.

Did you see the Andy Hug video? Pretty sure there were a couple axe kick KOs in it. I didn't watch that one in particular, but Andy Hug KOed quite a few people with an axe kick.

Granted, he's Andy Hug, but still.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you see the Andy Hug video? Pretty sure there were a couple axe kick KOs in it. I didn't watch that one in particular, but Andy Hug KOed quite a few people with an axe kick.

Granted, he's Andy Hug, but still.
Yep, many cases at the beginning. Now I can say only Hug can KO people with axe kicks. Until someone proves me wrong, again. This is way MA foruns are instructional. :)

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, many cases at the beginning. Now I can say only Hug can KO people with axe kicks. Until someone proves me wrong, again. This is way MA foruns are instructional. :)
Just YouTube axe kick ko.

Kicking is one of those skills whose effectiveness is entirely down to training. You simply need to be faster than the average and understand the nature of the kick and it will work

maxstronge

White Belt
Reaction score
Like any kick, it's usefulness is affected by how much you train it. My instructor's axe kick is incredibly fast, and he nails me with it a lot. Axe kicks are hard to block, and they're coming from an angle most people aren't used to worrying about.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't pretty much every technique fit that description?
yes i think that's a trueism. But id view it differently than a high % techneque, that will most probably work in most situations and will not leave you in a very bad position if it doesn't cone off

Latest Discussions