How do you rate Black Belts?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many posts revolve around time in grade or years of study, but what about skill level? When you walk in a room of Black Belts or just martial artist for that matter, how do you measure up? The question I pose is this what do you think makes a Black Belt? No times in grade or combo #482, but skill level. Anyone can learn a new technique but how many of us truely understand what we are doing and why?

Skill and understanding of the material is what matters most to me. Someone can have 1 stripe or 50 on their belt, I could care less. What matters to me is: a) do they understand the material, b) can they make it work, c) can they teach it. The belt doesnt matter IMO, because I'm sure we've all seen some crappy people out there, who're wearing a high rank, and look like garbage.

My teachers make sure that I understand and can apply the material. Honestly, I have never been a rank chaser, and I would hate to think that I'd get a promotion if I really didn't deserve it.

This is why I think that once you reach Black Belt, its not so much about learning new things, but instead, constantly making what you already know better. On a related note...I was taking a lesson last night with one of my Arnis teachers. The subject of material and rank came up, and I asked if there was more material after black. I asked this because I just tested for my Arnis black in Jan. He said aside from a few more forms, no, there was no 'new' material per se, but instead, just refining the material that I already knew. The same can be said about BJJ. A blue belt in BJJ pretty much knows the same things as a black belt, the difference being that the BB has a deeper understanding and working knowledge.

So..back to Kenpo...I feel the same way. During my weekly private lesson with my Kenpo teacher, I've recently started going back over the techs and katas, making sure I'm doing them right, fine tuning things, etc. You can know a thousand techniques, but if you can't make them work, what good are they? :)

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Skill and understanding of the material is what matters most to me. Someone can have 1 stripe or 50 on their belt, I could care less. What matters to me is: a) do they understand the material, b) can they make it work, c) can they teach it. The belt doesnt matter IMO, because I'm sure we've all seen some crappy people out there, who're wearing a high rank, and look like garbage.
And one of the reasons why we wear no stripes. There is no confusion. You are either impressed with the man, or not. The belt and all its markings are put into proper perspective. If the man truly makes the belt, it shouldn't matter that its plain.
... its not so much about learning new things, but instead, constantly making what you already know better. ... there was no 'new' material per se, but instead, just refining the material that I already knew.

... I've recently started going back over the techs and katas, making sure I'm doing them right, fine tuning things, etc. You can know a thousand techniques, but if you can't make them work, what good are they? :)

Amen Brudda, spread the gospel. :) (as the Old Man would say)

Reactions: MJS

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And one of the reasons why we wear no stripes. There is no confusion. You are either impressed with the man, or not. The belt and all its markings are put into proper perspective. If the man truly makes the belt, it shouldn't matter that its plain.

Black by popular demand? ;)

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Skill and understanding of the material is what

This is why I think that once you reach Black Belt, its not so much about learning new things, but instead, constantly making what you already know better. On a related note...I was taking a lesson last night with one of my Arnis teachers. The subject of material and rank came up, and I asked if there was more material after black. I asked this because I just tested for my Arnis black in Jan. He said aside from a few more forms, no, there was no 'new' material per se, but instead, just refining the material that I already knew. The same can be said about BJJ. A blue belt in BJJ pretty much knows the same things as a black belt, the difference being that the BB has a deeper understanding and working knowledge.

Mike

Personally, i like to remind the people i teach...and myself often that the best thing about kempo is not testing, not new material, not a black belt, but that you can get better and better with what you learned the first day of class as long as you are willing to work at getting better and place that above anything else in the class. I love what you said above, and i submit that it is not just for black belts...although they are the ones more likely to forget it. My teacher Shihan Ingargiola makes it mandatory at black belt to do indepth analysis of the beginner material (white to orange), at 2nd degree in depth study of the intermediate level marterial( purple to green stripe) and at 3rd study the advanced stuff from green to brown...some of my best learning and teaching has come from understanding demonastrating "advanced" "hidden" "secrets" from the white belt requirements! this is part of why i love martial arts and why i credit my students for any current and futur rank i may achieve, if it were not for them at black i had enough material for a,life time of study and improvement. The new stuff is great and fun but without teaching i do not know if i would have bothered to get the new stuff let alone rank. But the new stuff is fun to learn has helped me improve and well...i am beginning to ramble, apologies

respectfully,
Marlon

KempoKop

White Belt
Reaction score
I am NOT a black belt. I was in the martial arts about 20 years ago and just recently got back into it. I went to several schools and watched students some of whom were "Black Belts".

For me and every persons opinion is different but I know what a "Black Belt" is not in my eyes. I think some schools tend to "hand out" belts. I came from a school that was pretty much a belt a year on average in progression.

That means that you had about a years worth of study in those techniques in that belt and were responsible for those techniques as you progressed.

I've seen black belts who may know techniques and they may have knowledge of their art. But I've also seen poor balace and poor application of techniques.

I understand that Dojo's have rent to pay but if in my mind even with all the knowledge those individuals who lack balance, correct application, or poor form they should be held to say a brown till they demonstrate a high level of proficiency and skill. Nothing bothers me more then to see a 10 year old kid with a black belt.

Just one guys opinion.

Latest Discussions