SL4 Clips

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some cool SL4 clips on youtube! Enjoy! :)

Alternating Maces

[yt]tDG5WqZiYZw[/yt]

Sword Of Doom

[yt]y5WK7aJcItQ&feature=related[/yt]

Sword and Hammer
[yt]42NoMRlEBRY&feature=related[/yt]

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice clips, can I ask why do the do hitting movements after the attack is done. Not trying to be a smartass just do not understand.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And one more!! :)

[yt]UpUWKU7IB30&eurl[/yt]

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice clips, can I ask why do the do hitting movements after the attack is done. Not trying to be a smartass just do not understand.

Hopefully Doc will chime in for this question, as he can answer better than I. :)

Mike

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike it says sorry no longer available.

Hmm...not sure what happened. It played when I went to the youtube site. I put the link in again, and it seems to be working now. :)

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully Doc will chime in for this question, as he can answer better than I. :)

Mike

Hope so. I have no idea what the go is there. Also why do the strike the air before engaging the opponent too?

Cheers
Sam:asian:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hope so. I have no idea what the go is there. Also why do the strike the air before engaging the opponent too?

Cheers

Actually they strike the person, then they strike the air followed by the person and then some more air.

Cheers

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Mike

while this is no doubt true,could you share your understanding? Are these realignment movements, and / or broken rhythm? or something completely different. I would assume the big stompping movement is a BAM and not a stomp...?But all i know of sl4 is from this forum ..so i have read some but know very little of sl4

respectfully,
Marlon

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
can you name these techniques for us non AK people, please.

Marlon

the 2nd looks like a version of" Delayed sword" with the kick and the hand sword at the end, (i may be wrong) :duh: it is the 1st yellow belt tech in parkers kenpo,the thing that is not the same is (i believe) is that in DS you do not cross out that far, (people have been doing all the techs different )
it is what it is.:wink:

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Marlon

Done. Sorry about that. :)

while this is no doubt true,could you share your understanding? Are these realignment movements, and / or broken rhythm? or something completely different. I would assume the big stompping movement is a BAM and not a stomp...?But all i know of sl4 is from this forum ..so i have read some but know very little of sl4

respectfully,
Marlon

In all honesty, Doc, Doc Dave or Bode, would be much more qualified than I to comment on SL4. While we share the same art, Parker Kenpo, Docs version, SL4 is different than how I execute the techniques. I could probably take a guess as to what the extra moves are, but I don't want to risk the chance that I'll say something in error.

Calling Doc, Dave or Bode. Looking for some input on these techniques. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the 2nd looks like a version of" Delayed sword" with the kick and the hand sword at the end, (i may be wrong) :duh: it is the 1st yellow belt tech in parkers kenpo,the thing that is not the same is (i believe) is that in DS you do not cross out that far, (people have been doing all the techs different )
it is what it is.:wink:

Hey George!! Whats up!!

Yes, it is similar to DS without the lapel grab. Hmm..and who said it couldnt be done off a punch. :)

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Marlon

and the 3rd is something called OPPONENTS AT SIDES it is done with 1,or 2 opponents. but someone will say that ,,thats not what it is:erg:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I think that is the "overkill / overskill" ways of Kenpo -- they do more than needed "just in case".

Now to watch the videos!

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hay Mike good to hear from you, if you get a chance give me or i will call you have to tell you something,,:uhyeah:

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Posted by Dr. Crouch (Kembudo Kai Kenpoka on MT) on AmericanKenpoForum about these same clips:
"Doc always gets mad at me when I oversimplify his stuff, but I'm going to risk the earful for the purposes of brevity and clarity. Where you start at -- in terms of suppositions and objectives -- determines next step, and so on. Some fundamental assumptions of SL4 are based in law-enforcement, or certainly in evading legal consequences of excessive force. So, where I might advocate sticking a finger in the eye of a guy who's bum-rushing you, Doc doesn't. Rather, he works techs that optimize your own alignment, while ****ing with the bad guys. In a misaligned state, shots go deeper, take a bigger toll out of the bad guy, and can do a better job of dropping him without permanently maiming him...and all of the legal ramifications that come with it.

SL4 is big on maximizing neromechanical and anatomical alignment. Lots of bopping yourself on muscle groups to facilitate them, or to send asundry signals to the brain to help shore things up. Also big is what he calls AGM or anti-grapple mechanisms. Having been a student of the Gracies for several years, he and I still go back and forth as to the efficacy of them against a trained wrassler, but I've used them in crowd control and one-on-one situations quite effectively. In oversimplified terms, in between strtiking sequences at key points in the techniques, there are points where a guy could more logically collect himself for a second rush at you than at other times in the tech. So we put **** out there for him to run into. I think of it as sticking a Pike out there to safeguard distance while you make adjustments...if he chooses to rush you at that moment, he's gonna run throat first into something solid and unpleasant. If he doesn't rush you, you look like your slapping yourself for no apparent reason. But like I said; that's over simplification.

In contact resistance training, we put on chest shields and all that crap, and go charging after each other balls out. The shileds are for the uke's protection, cuz that **** hurts after only 1 or 2 shots. In the SL4 "cover out", several are inserted for practices sake. Looking at them in video, we look like were just slapping ourselves silly. But each movement is part of an AGM that's inserted to the upper case, rather than just holding up "kenpo hands" in pretty checks. Kinda robotic to look at, but they work when some puke is rushing you.

Somewhere online, there's a clip of Doc doing Alternating Maces in a restaurant. Just before the last blow, he lays what looks like a palm-up ridge hand against the ukes windpipe and collarbone, checking depth and guaging distance for the final blow. That move is one of the moves in the end of the above clips, during the cover out. Another similar move is to throw a particular version of a palm heel, arm internally rotated and fingers pointing medially rather than up. That's another quickie for peple to crash into. You can stack them one after another to slow down an oncoming bum rush, and start backing the guys mass up. Finally, the end point that looks like "left over right meditate position" to the side of a neutral bow is a braced position that creates a nice bumper for the guy to crash into. Again in isolation in contact resistance training, a 5-10% translation of weight to the front leg combined with a slight impulse from both hands into that hand formation not only stops you hard, but hurts right through your chest...feels like walking walking into somebody rushing you with a 4x4.

On video, and even in person, SL4 techs can look like some goofy ****. But you really should get on the mat with the man and try it out before passing judgement. Not everyone walks away impressed; your results may vary. But he made a convert outta me. And I'm a dick when it comes to these things. Like I said; I still argue with him (light-heartedly) about the efficacy of AGM's against a trained BJJ-er of blue-or-better level. But to be honest, I haven't put in a mouthpiece and put it to the test. Two times I decided he was preaching ********. One time challenging it, I got knocked ****-faced loopy by being stopped hard in my tracks on a shoot, then hit on top of the shoulder blade while I was still misaligned & staggering from hitting a truck with a tricycle (and I had more than 30 pounds on the other guy). The second time, I jacked my shoulder up so bad, it'll never be the same again. I'm still on the DL from my car wreck, and not all that interested in finding out what gets hurt next time I call BS on something of his, balls out. In my mind, I'm still sure I could get around the AGM's his guys use, and pull them to the ground...into my territory, where I could mount and own them. I also would not be the least bit surprised if trying to do so left me KTFO'd, or with another permanent musculoskeletal injury. So I'll leave it to the next generation of skeptics to show up on his doorstep with a bag full of doubts. I've got enough creaks and groans for one lifetime, thanks.

D. "
Original post http://americankenpoforum.com/forums/t/2434.aspx

Also - Sword of Doom is a tech vs. a right punch with similar body mechanics to Delayed Sword. Since DS is against a right hand lapel grab, SoD teaches how to use a similar set of mechanics (not identical) for a similar but different method of attack. I might be wrong here and I'm sure Doc, Bode, Mr. King, or Dr. Crouch will correct me - but I believe from what I've read is the similarities are also the differences and starts one on the process of identifying differences in attacks and helps build the motor impulses to respond to a similar circumstance with different avenues of responses.

Latest Discussions