Respecting Black Belts in other arts in your AK school

OP
G

GouRonin

You can call me the "One-armed-bandit" then!
:iws:

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had started my MA training with EPAK through blue belt and then my teacher move and the only thing around was AK so I recieve my 1st BB in that. However, a littel over 2 years ago I started back in kenpo and I was told that I should not wear my AK rank but I did not go back to white belt. I started at blue and progressed on through the ranks and Sat I take my BB exam again. I must say that this was a VERY difficult thing to do in manny ways but in the long run it made me grow as a person and made me a even more detailed kenpoist.

So if I pass my exam this weekend can I add my 2 1st dan ranks and call myself a 2nd dan?

hehehehehe
Great post!

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Atlanta-Kenpo
I started at blue and progressed on through the ranks and Sat I take my BB exam again.

Good luck on your exam!

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Atlanta-Kenpo
I had started my MA training with EPAK through blue belt and then my teacher move and the only thing around was AK so I recieve my 1st BB in that.

Now I'm confused. I learned EPAK here on this board. I thought it was Ed Parkers American Kenpo.

Somehow I also thought that AK was American Kenpo. These two should be identical, but I don't think that Atlanta-Kenpo sees it that way.

So what is EPAK and what is AK?

Thanks in advance. :asian:

P.S. I guess I need Atlanta-Kenpo to answer that for it to make sense but after that if anyone else has another interpretation that may also be interesting. Is there a Glossary on Martial Talk? Could there be? If everyone didn't follow it, I don't guess it would work. :eek:

OP
K

Kirk

I was thrown by that at first too ... but I assumed at that point
that it's "American Karate"

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Mr C, does that mean I can add up my dan ranks too?:D

Of course, but then you have to explain to people the stripes then they may look at you like they look at that Steve Spry character.:rofl:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by shine
I have always wondered what AK folks do when somebody with a black belt rating in a different striking art walks in to an American Kenpo school and wants to sign up. Does the student wear a white, black or something in between?

Does your answer vary with the art the person studied and how compatible it is with American Kenpo?

In the school where I earned my bb, when shotokan and other traditional types came in they were allowed to wear the black belt and could jump into sparring class right away. However in technique time they had to work out with the beginners and earn their American Kenpo rank.

On the other hand, I've worn the white belt at several alternative schools over the years, and it often makes sense.

What policy do you recommend for American Kenpoists?
We have a simple policy. Everybody starts as a beginner. Although some have balked, after a session they realize that is what they need to do if they intend to stay. It terms of what they wear around their waist, it doesn't matter. If I didn't give it, I can't take it away. Everyone must decide for themselves if they deserve to wear what they have and if they fit in with what's going on around them. It has no impact on what they will learn and when they will learn it.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also have everyone who walks in "Start Over", because it is about Principles, Concepts, Theories of Motion ... as well as specific knowledge of anatomy, physiology, techniques, forms, sets, etc.

HOWEVER, I do not require them to take off their belt, the way I was required to do when I started in Kenpo. After a decade of other Martial Arts, boy, was that hard to do ... but worth it. I am a little more liberal, in that the advanced student can wear the belt that they walk in the door with, but they have to put the appropriate "tip" on it, a yellow tab, or orange, purple, etc. Oddly enough, (Doc maybe you can speak to this), the darker belts come off within a few months or so. They, every one of them so far, has opted to wear the belt I present them with following their tests. Some of these guys were from Traco or Tracy Kenpo Systems, others from Kung-Fu or Taekwondo.

My lattitude has resulted in the same humbling experience that schools who require the advanced student to put aside the belt earned in another Art. I understand if you use an educational model, that you have new material, but as was said somewhere else, a kick is a kick and a punch is a punch, I can work on modifying or Tailoring to a more KENPO type of pattern of movement.

Just the way I want to do it! Not better or worse than anyone else. But if you get an Associates Degree in another college, don't some of the hours transfer over? They do in my school, and that is how I like to approach it. I also do not preclude learning something new from my students, and it is good giving my other students exposure to other Arts, so I might have them run basics or shadow box, or whatever kind of drills they bring with them ... alas, they lose lots of them after a half year with me, even when I encourage them to keep the old and just add my "stuff" to their repetoire.

Oss

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After training 10 years in the korean arts I started in Kenpo as a white belt. Now in my 40's and 11 years in Kenpo (Tracy/EPAK blend) I have moved and have visited various kenpo schools. I do admit that I feel more comfortable removing my stripes and just wearing a plain black belt. I have not been asked to wear a white belt. I do understand that I will be starting to learn from the beginning.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Of course, but then you have to explain to people the stripes then they may look at you like they look at that Steve Spry character.:rofl:
one of my friends told me that Steve Spry is a founder of his own art now. In fact, he was recognized for his *foundership* by martial art board sometimes this year. I went to this kenpo forum and found this. I guess I will post it here so that his former students / friends can share their stories about Steve Spry.

http://www.kenpothoughts.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49

GM Steve Spry's web site is www.stevespry.com

Oh No, i'm not his student or associate with him in any way or form.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took a look at his site through the link you posted. It is very misleading at least it is to me. He starts by talking about AK then somehow it switches to say his curriculum is hawaiian kenpo with a bunch of other stuff in mixed in it. The reverse belt thing just has to go! I looked at his black belt family tree and noticed a few names on there I recognized. He may be a good guy, knowledgeable, and good competitor but I can't say as I don't know the man. All I will say is somethin' just ain't right.
:asian:

OP
G

getgoin

I have studied in different schools a few times. I go in and sign up and I try to change the topic when I feel its coming to my rank if I can. I usually get about two classes before I am cornered. I tell them my rank and I have had some of the the instructors tell to wear my BB, they say you've earned it. I tell them that I am uncomfortable doing that and would like it if I could wear a white belt. I usually get the response of "thats OK, if you want to wear it you can" and its dropped. I have come across instructors stressing to me that they want me to wear my belt. I have found that these are the instructors with few or none BB in house. I pack up and find a new school, I don't like being a selling tool.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I took a look at his site through the link you posted. It is very misleading at least it is to me. He starts by talking about AK then somehow it switches to say his curriculum is hawaiian kenpo with a bunch of other stuff in mixed in it. The reverse belt thing just has to go! I looked at his black belt family tree and noticed a few names on there I recognized. He may be a good guy, knowledgeable, and good competitor but I can't say as I don't know the man. All I will say is somethin' just ain't right.
:asian:
i agree with you on this. I find it very confusing. In the end, i honestly don't know what he's teaching. Perhaps, he doesn't want people to know he's teaching AK.???? I hope I'm wrong on this.

*he* is also the one who invited Grandmaster Kuoha (Prof Chow Karaho's successor) to his Hall of Fame this year and gave Grandmaster Kuoha's students and daughter "Hall of Fame" 2004 award for their contribution in MA.

You can find this information in his "Master hall of fame" link.

I will quote your quote again "He may be a good guy, knowledgeable, and good competitor.but I can't say as I don't know the man ". I will leave it that way with no further comment.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He can do what he likes. It makes no difference to me. Being here in Ohio is hard enough to get "any" of the 1st generation students of Mr. Parker for seminar's and whatnot. On this one I'm glad that I'm far enough away from the west coast not to feel the backlash of certain individuals and self proclaimed this or that. What they do is their business and until if directly affects me I don't care. :)

Latest Discussions