Hook Kick

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey. Right this just a question that while watching "White House Down" the other day. A random thought turned into this question I would like to ask. The "Hook Kick" what does this mean to you all, and how is that mechanics of that kick?, that may or not be something different. One I thought of was in Capoeira behind the knee, if I understand correctly of course.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Wado Ryu karate this is the hook kick we were taught. It's a very useful kick, one I like using.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We teach it as a Sidekick that swings at the end. It should literally come out straight like a sidekick with your target just to the side and then swing across. My personal favorite use it the hook/roundhouse combo. Hard to block both and I grew up watching old Superfoot videos so I'm a tad biased.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I understand it can be broken down into a thrusting side kick next to the target which then converts the thrusting motion into a sweep through the target with the back of the heel or the foot sole.

Works to sweep the opponents feet out from under them, or through the ankle, calf, knee, thigh, kidney, ribs, solar plexus, guard (to expose a target, with a view to connecting shortly after with another kick from the same foot), neck, jawline, back of the head or temple.

The kick demands great hip strength to be used with any real oomph and has to be trained constantly to keep the weapon sharp.

To me it is more of a sport kick, but it has some devious and wicked applications if one is so inclined.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand it can be broken down into a thrusting side kick next to the target which then converts the thrusting motion into a sweep through the target with the back of the heel or the foot sole.

Works to sweep the opponents feet out from under them, or through the ankle, calf, knee, thigh, kidney, ribs, solar plexus, guard (to expose a target, with a view to connecting shortly after with another kick from the same foot), neck, jawline, back of the head or temple.

The kick demands great hip strength to be used with any real oomph and has to be trained constantly to keep the weapon sharp.

To me it is more of a sport kick, but it has some devious and wicked applications if one is so inclined.

Mmm, Interesting take Gnarlie. I do see that the approach has merits, but not sure above the hips?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah cool. Seems expensive to me though.

It's set up the same as a roundhouse kick only at the last minute you can change it to a hook kick, or you can roundhouse then hook kick or hook kick then roundhouse. The video is showing the demo done slowly you can really get it out fast and it confuses your opponent. We do train to do more than one kick at a time, doing double kicks off one movement or even three is quite easy.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nobody said the opponent's head has to be above your hips.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do the spinning hook a bit. And sometimes a cheeky heel to the leg while grappling.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hook kick is possibly the only kick that's easier to do well as a spinning kick.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

EklectikButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
There are two kicks that have become the bane of my existence and that's the run jump sidekick and the hook kick. At our school they tell us the hook kick is a sidekick that kind of sweeps and hooks back at the end. So an outward sidekick and then angle the foot to sweep back, make sense? BUT in my quest to differentiate the kick I end up making it an almost sideways inside outside kick. I just need to practice that sweep in the end! Then I'll tackle that run jump sidekick... someday ;)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well then, I am confused.com. You mentioned the neck?
Yeah, it's fairly useful after kicking out the opponent's front leg, leaving them unbalanced and on one knee, lowering the height of their head to comfortable kicking height for the hook kick.

Also works great if you have control of an arm.

I'm not a great believer in the practicality of high kicks, but the doesn't mean the high targets cannot be moved lower.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never done it as you would a sidekick, it's always been as a roundhouse but you turn it into a hook, hitting with the heel is always good though.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's fairly useful after kicking out the opponent's front leg, leaving them unbalanced and on one knee, lowering the height of their head to comfortable kicking height for the hook kick.

Also works great if you have control of an arm.

I'm not a great believer in the practicality of high kicks, but the doesn't mean the high targets cannot be moved lower.

Right get it now thanks :)

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hook kick is possibly the only kick that's easier to do well as a spinning kick.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Interesting. Did you use that as a common kick if you will in a tournament?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Did you use that as a common kick if you will in a tournament?

I've used it in a number of tournies, yes. It's an excellent combo to throw a spinning hook, and then immediately referse and throw a roundhouse from the other side.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used it in a number of tournies, yes. It's an excellent combo to throw a spinning hook, and then immediately referse and throw a roundhouse from the other side.

Would you consider the kick a high percentage move. IE, a lot of energy used executing it?

Latest Discussions