Honoring Belts from different schools

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pass our test, get our rank. Though since no other system has our exact material, it's much more a matter of people with the right skills shooting through some phases very fast than it is of them already knowing it all.

The work is so individualized anyway, there's not much problem with it. The fact that we don't use colored belts helps.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right now, I cant really find an EPAK school where I live that I could trace a legitimate lineage from. So, I am looking around, and I am really considering either BJJ or Shorin Ryu, and I have it down to those two, yesterday I went to the BJJ school and saw some guys wearing blue belts and white belts, but they were so proud of the belts they were wearing. I tell you, that pretty much did it for me, no one in there was interested in rank for flaunting, or bb's, or anything like that, they were proud of their achievements and what they were learning. And there is no way, that I or any body else out there with a bb in a different system should walk in there with a bb, and pretty much desecrate what these guys stand for. I am proud to wear a WB with these guys and hope to start classes with them in 3 weeks when finals are over.

There is nothing like truly earning a belt, it brings with it a great feeling, a feeling that people who cut corners will never understand.

S

Satori

Evenflow- Looking at your martial background, I can say you're in for an experience by training regularly in BJJ.

Just like Judo, their ranks tend to reflect the ability to apply technique in live randori, rather than knowledge of technique. Actually, in my last BJJ studio, you earned your first belt after memorizing every technique in the syllabus! Your first belt!

Every belt after that was earned through time in rank and the ability to defeat opponent's through skill. One large, angry bloke left the school because he wasn't promoted, even though he beat some higher ranked practitioners. He relied too much on his strength, and muscled his way through the matches against much smaller guys. The instructor failed him because of that.

Have fun, and remember to keep your limbs tucked in!

May you achieve
Satori

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different Art= White Belt.

No rank jumping...No "But I am a "blank belt" in such and such under so and so."

You start where everyone starts..at the beginning. Whatever you learned,great. Now it's time for you to learn OUR way.

Some people don't care for this approach. I say if you're that full you don't need to eat at my table. :D

I've started over three different times,and I think it's the right way. But...once you have rank,it doesn't magically disappear after an absence,you have it for life..you'll just be a bit rusty..:uhyeah:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Most people come in, wear their old belt for a few sessions, realize what they don't know, and put on the white belt.
Yes, I've seen that happen often enough. Letting people wear old rank is a nice courtesy--but choosing to actually do it is very often a bad choice, in my opinion.

I'm thinking of truly different arts here. If someone from another org. of the same style comes in, that's different tomy mind, even if the requirements are different.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Satori said:
I had to move around a lot and switch schools. This has resulted in 3-1st Kyus, which is can be rather frustrating after twelve years of training. I do agree that in many styles, skill in one easily translates to skill in another.

However, I've always believed in one principal; It is far better to be recognized as a SUPERIOR White Belt than an INFERIOR High Rank.

It is always fun to walk into a new school/dojo wearing a plain gi and white belt. People expect you to act like a completely green, novice student. You get orange belts who offer to "Help you out".

It is definately a gratifying experience to have instructors and students ask you, after training with you, "So...exactly how long have you trained??".
I could have written this! I moved around a lot for school and work and had more green belts than I could count. I had 2 brown belts in other arts prior to getting my black belt in arnis. I do indeed love getting the "So...exactly how long have you trained??" question!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
yesterday I went to the BJJ school and saw some guys wearing blue belts and white belts, but they were so proud of the belts they were wearing. I tell you, that pretty much did it for me, no one in there was interested in rank for flaunting, or bb's, or anything like that, they were proud of their achievements and what they were learning.
As mentioned, it's different in BJJ, where you earn your belt by defeating higher ranked opponents. There's no wondering just how good you are if you do BJJ. You'll know! I really recommend it as cross-training. My confidence on the ground has really shot up because of it.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree 100% on starting back at the beginning, with the exception of same school/ discipline. Even though when way back in the day when I first started TKD training (and I still am in TKD), I had to start over due to the fact that the 2 schools were a good bit "different"- different forms, etc. (even different belt ranking).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yes everyone who starts in a new system should start from a white belt. The color only means of where your learning is at in this new "system", not of your skill levels.

We too had to start all over when my "Shotokan" Sensi left us with no one to train with. My son and I started as white belts in our new school at the Universal Kempo-karate systems, Our new Instructor knew of our backgrounds and knew it would be easier to train us in the new ways of kempo.

If there was a other Shotokan school , then it may be different. If the Sensi says OK to keep our present belt, than we would have. If he say no than we start all over...simple. (some shotokan school have different associations)...............Aloha

B

BaiKaiGuy

I've seen three different versions:

1. New student comes in, keeps rank. This was many years ago when I did TKD/Kickboxing. New student came in, Shotokan, IIRC, and she was allowed to keep her rank. She was even allowed to stand with the upperbelts. That didn't go over too well with the rest of us, she had a bit of an attitude.

2. New student comes in, gives up black belt, trains with the rookies.

If the styles are totally disparate, like going from say TKD to BJJ, it's not a big deal. If it's going from say TKD to TSD or Karate, I think it's a bit unfair. One of the reasons there are beginner and advanced classes is to separate levels of ability. It creates a sense of security for new students. In the case where the styles are similar, I like the next option:

3. New student comes in, gives up black belt, trains with the upperbelts.

In similar styles (IE: TKD and TSD), this recognizes that the student has a certain level of skill, and may only have to learn forms or certain techniques and doesn't have to reinvent the wheel on kicks and punches, for example. It's win-win, I think. The new student doesn't have to feel as though every last piece of former training was useless, it recognizes that this student can handle themselves, and recognizes that this student is not a beginner. But the student still has to earn the right to wear the black belt of the new system.

Latest Discussions