Honoring Belts from different schools

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In another thread someone said we should split the thread so here be.

My two cent worth same style the can keep there belt and learn our cirriculum different style start over from the beginning.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. If the style is different, I have no problem starting over (been there).

What my instructor does is if you are a color belt in one style, you start over. But you can advance a little faster (if the style is similar). If you are a BB (and the style is similar) you are able to keep your rank. But if you come from a totally different style, you start with the rest of the crew (reguardless of rank). I think that's fair.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
My two cent worth same style the can keep there belt and learn our cirriculum different style start over from the beginning.
That sounds reasonable to me.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I agree. If the style is different, I have no problem starting over (been there).

What my instructor does is if you are a color belt in one style, you start over. But you can advance a little faster (if the style is similar). If you are a BB (and the style is similar) you are able to keep your rank. But if you come from a totally different style, you start with the rest of the crew (reguardless of rank). I think that's fair.
Going from TSD to KF was like going from skiing to golf for me. I basically had to relearn everything but the punch, and even that was made far more difficult than before.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is an approach used by most instructors. If you've earned it then you can wear it. I think you should put the white belt back on and work your way up the rank as all the others have. It makes for a good humbling session as well. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I think you should put the white belt back on and work your way up the rank as all the others have. It makes for a good humbling session as well.
Agreed. Unless it's a very similar style, I don't see why one would want to wear the other belt anyway--ego?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
This is an approach used by most instructors. If you've earned it then you can wear it. I think you should put the white belt back on and work your way up the rank as all the others have. It makes for a good humbling session as well. :asian:
Totally makes sense to me. I think perhaps that if a person was a black belt in another system, he or she will probably pick everything up faster and should be considered for testing far earlier.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
In another thread someone said we should split the thread so here be.

I agree!

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. This is currently happening to me. I have a 2nd Dan in Kajukenbo and I am starting new in American Kenpo. My instructor is allowing me to wear my rank, but on my stripes he is covering them with the color rank that I am in AK. That sounds fair to me. Yes?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I visited a Kenpo class last night and the instructor there had one student who took four years of Aikido and gained purple rank in that art. He allowed him to wear his purple belt in class, and puts colored tape on that belt to indicate his rank in Kenpo.

However, after testing the young man last night, he presented him with an orange belt AND an orange stripe on his purple Aikido belt to see what he would do with it.

So, I suppose he's handing him the rank he has achieved in Kenpo in the hopes the young man will eventually wear his Kenpo rank, indicating he is now a Kenpo student (that's the way I see it).

Thoughts?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with starting over. I had to start over when I took up TKD, even though I already had my Go-dan in Chito-ryu. Even though I started at WB again I have had accelerated testing. I want to take my time, but in the dojang I am not the instructor. I guess that if I want things my way I will have to have them at my dojo.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our school policy is that if you earned it, you can wear it.

However, when I switched from Kajukenbo to kenpo, I started over at white, but that was a personal decision, not pushed on me by the instructor. Most people come in, wear their old belt for a few sessions, realize what they don't know, and put on the white belt.

Lamont

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think of it as a test in humility. I agree with starting over.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on the circumstance.

If a yudansha from the same family of style, say that someone came to my dojo, having been a practioner of any of the Wado-ryu systems, I would let him come in, holding the same rank. If the particular Wado-ryu school were significantly different from mine, I would still let him wear his black belt, but would make him take the test for his equivalent rank in my school. If he wanted to, he could test for a lower rank, but I would rather he wait until he were ready to test at his current rank.

If a yudansha from a similar style of martial arts came in, for example, a Shotokan practitioner coming into my Wado school, then I would let him start as an unofficial ikkyu (1st kyu). Some schools would call this the pre-shodan rank, with the understanding that his rank would be an unofficial one, but I would certainly push him to train hard, so he can take the shodan exam in a much shorter time period. This is, of course, assuming that we're dealing with a mature martial artist.

If a yudansha from a significantly different style of martial arts came in, for example, a Chung Do Kwon practitioner coming into my Wado school, I would simply ask him to start out as a white belt, with the understanding that he would be testing and progressing at a significantly faster rate than the others. I would not hesitate to double promote him at each exam, if he demonstrated the knowledge, ability, and maturity needed for ranks beyond the rank for he was "supposed" to test. Of course, once he hits the higher ranks, he would have to realize that going for double promotions there would not be practical, unless he were a phenomenal talent.

If someone in the first two situations wanted to come in as a white belt, I would honor that request, and lump him into the same situation as the third situation (start out at white, possible skipping of ranks along the way).

S

Satori

Having served in the Marine Corps and raised by oft-relocating parents, I had to move around a lot and switch schools. This has resulted in 3-1st Kyus, which is can be rather frustrating after twelve years of training. I do agree that in many styles, skill in one easily translates to skill in another.

However, I've always believed in one principal; It is far better to be recognized as a SUPERIOR White Belt than an INFERIOR High Rank.

It is always fun to walk into a new school/dojo wearing a plain gi and white belt. People expect you to act like a completely green, novice student. You get orange belts who offer to "Help you out".

It is definately a gratifying experience to have instructors and students ask you, after training with you, "So...exactly how long have you trained??".

May you achieve
Satori

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
When our school gets a student who has attained rank in another system we recognize it by letting them wear a white belt with a colored stripe through it the same color as their rank attained at the other dojo. This lets the other students know that this individulal has held rank somewhere else. Once the new student learns our cirriculim we let them take the white belt with the colored stripe off and they will wear the new rank that was earned in our system. This makes the new student feel as though they are not really starting over and that their previous accomplishments were not wasted.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It should be whats inside your head anyway, what's the belt colour matter anyhow? I wouldn't dream of going to another school and wearing my belt/stars, If you start another class with new teacher then you should start as a white belt as as far as i'm concerned. If you know you have ability inside then that's cool but you shouldn't have to make yourself feel better by wearing your belt.
Whether i'm gi'd up or not, the training i have had is inside me so it doesn't really matter whether it shows in my clothing.
If you're any good, you'll be graded quickly in your new one anyway. We've had lots of people come to class and say that they're such and such grade in another martial art, often to embarrass themselves when training by not being much good.
Anyway everyone's entitled to their own opinion and all that so if other people want to wear their belts in new classes, let them, I just know i wouldn't.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if you what my 2 pence I think if you start a new style you should start over at white belt. Because even if it is the same style they can be radically different. For instance near were I live there are 4 tae kwon do schools that I know of. Mr. Belgere teaches one of them. His students right up to his black belts look like there doing white belt material. And he makes it a point to pick on the students he doesn't like. He teaches a little Judo, and by a little I mean like 3 throws. He teaches the Bo staff, terribly. Another, whose name I can’t recall, was taught by him and his students look like they are doing martial arts. He also is treeing to beef up his black belt program by making new katas and teaching knife self defense. The next, Miss. Johnson, also teaches Judo, just more and better, knife self defense, and the Bo staff, also better. Even the forms look different between the 3. The forth I don't know and haven't heard much about, but I think she also teaches Hapkido.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think if it's a different style you really should wear a white belt. Rank in Aikido doesn't mean anything with regard to rank in Kenpo. The past experience will become evident when/if the student progresses at a quicker rate than a "fresh" white belt. I do like the approach the instructor took when he gave the guy an orange Kenpo belt in addition to the stripe for the Aikido belt. Hopefullly, the student will take this not so subtle hint.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Satori said:
However, I've always believed in one principal; It is far better to be recognized as a SUPERIOR White Belt than an INFERIOR High Rank.

It is always fun to walk into a new school/dojo wearing a plain gi and white belt. People expect you to act like a completely green, novice student. You get orange belts who offer to "Help you out".

It is definately a gratifying experience to have instructors and students ask you, after training with you, "So...exactly how long have you trained??".
Very good view to have. I like that POV. It is so much fun.

Latest Discussions