Why peacocks?

seibukan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know why most rank certificates (karate) have peacocks surrounding the border of the certificate.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
seibukan said:
Does anyone know why most rank certificates (karate) have peacocks surrounding the border of the certificate.

Because they have pretty tail feathers?

Honestly I have no idea why.

R

rupton

seibukan said:
Because the new rank makes you feel a little cockie !?!?!?! :) :)

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you sure that they are peacocks?

Peacocks would surprise me, Cranes wouldn't.

Cranes have a lot of associated symbolism in Far Eastern Culture, largely to do with long life, fidelity, wisdom, purity prudence and vigiliance, peace and happiness.

2 cranes emblem = lifelong fidelity in marriage

It is customary to make long chains of 1000 origami cranes for the those suffering a serious illness - there is a folk custom that folding 1000 cranes pleases the gods enough for them to grant a wish (normally recovery form the illness).

Cranes also carry Bhuddist symbolism - being the flying steeds of immortals, and the carriers of dead souls to heaven.

In Japan the Crane has long been an unoffical national symbol, it has/had? associations with princes of the imperial family.

Since 1955 the Crane has gained strong associations as an emblem of world peace. An 11 year old girl, Sasaki Sadako, suffering leukaemia following radiation exposure exprienced as an infant during the atomic bombing of Hiroshima began folding paper cranes , but died before completing her 1000. Her story is very well known in Japan. http://www.sadako.org/

Post war Japan continues to have a strong pacifist ethic, and to a fair degree martial arts in Japan since 1945 reflect this, tending to have a strong emphasis on ethics and a philosophy of non-aggression.

A classic example of the use of the Crane as a school emblem is Wado-Ryu karate - (Wa = harmony/peace Do - way).

Then again it might be peacocks on the certificates after all; without seeing them I wouldn't know...

Hope this is of some help,

Dan

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peacocks have been used (maybe only in folklore) as "watch dogs" so to speak at manors, Imperial grounds, temples, etc... in China. If a peacock has it's tail feathers down, it's not alarmed or scared or it recognizes people around. If the feathers are up & it's making noise, something's not right.

That's also why in most CMA schools especially the Southern ones, over the altar there are two peacock feathers. If they are placed a certain way, the school accepts all challenges, says they have strong kung fu & doen't mind "sharing". That's a "warning" to any trouble makers that they recognize them & will deal with them.

OP
S

seibukan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info

to better describe what I'm referring to:

there are 2 peacocks facing each other at the top of the certificate, their tail feathers are down and they form the border along the sides of the certifiate, (somtimes joined by a vine of some type along the bottom). I've seen many verisons but they are always peacocks. (not including all the dragons and tigers that many schools like to use)

Thanks Again

If you do a google image search for "karate certificate" there are several examples

Latest Discussions