Hip Movement Drills

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to notice how important using your hips are for nearly everything I learn in Hapkido, and I'm guessing it plays a big role in most other martial arts.

Do you have exercises that can help train hip movement to encourage better use?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Salsa dancing.

Actually kali has a whole section of footwork drills that work on generating proper foot to hip to shoulder movement patterns.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, hip movement is important. Without hip movement humankind would have gone extinct within one generation. It's a fact.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious answers are in short supply today...

You cannot really practice hip movements, because although it's vital (not merely important) to used your hips, you can't drill the hips. The techniques require that entire body. It would be like practicing a wrist lock by moving just your elbow.

However, you might consider twerking. Post video...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Most not definitely not twerking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your hip can perform the following function:

1. spring,
2. strike,
3. sit,
4. draw,
5. flip,

All 5 functions will need special training.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you were training with Sensei Mal he may have done some warm up exercises like ikkyo undo, udefuri undo and funakogi undo. These are all exercises to train your centre and practise broken timing among other things. What you want to develop is the correct movement of your centre, not necessarily your hips as such. If you decide to do these exercises, don't look at Youtube. Sensei David knows how to do those exercises correctly.
:asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you were training with Sensei Mal he may have done some warm up exercises like ikkyo undo, udefuri undo and funakogi undo. These are all exercises to train your centre and practise broken timing among other things. What you want to develop is the correct movement of your centre, not necessarily your hips as such. If you decide to do these exercises, don't look at Youtube. Sensei David knows how to do those exercises correctly.

Would that be as in Oddy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shadow sparring without using your arms.

Resistance bands.

new.era.player

White Belt
Reaction score
Zumba :lol:

On a side note, and a little off-topic... I think Hapkido is a very fascinating martial art style. :)

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah, I do keep forgetting those.

I may ask if we can include Zumba-Twerking.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For understanding hip movement, the dancing suggestions are actually really good ones. A lot of dance methods teach a lot about hip/waist movement. Understanding the difference between the hip and the waist and being able to articulate it physically is huge.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would that be as in Oddy

No as in 'Eke'. Dave Oddy is part of the Kenkyukai but I haven't had the privilege of training with him as yet. Other David is jezr's Hapkido instructor whom I have trained with. Goju is big on hips as well but it is a different type of hip movement to what jezr needs to make his Hapkido techniques work.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I think I have the tools in front of me, just needed a light bulb moment.

I do get sore hips, but guess I need to give it time to strengthen.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I think I have the tools in front of me, just needed a light bulb moment.

I do get sore hips, but guess I need to give it time to strengthen.

Sore hips, like your hip flexors are sore or something else?

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sore hips, like your hip flexors are sore or something else?

Yep, I can barely get my turning side kicks up to the waist on a good day. It becomes painful, and kind of clicks\pinches.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yep, I can barely get my turning side kicks up to the waist on a good day. It becomes painful, and kind of clicks\pinches.

So if you do a front kick it doesn't hurt? What happens if you swing your leg straight forward and back?

What happens if you do a lateral straight leg lift?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No as in 'Eke'. Dave Oddy is part of the Kenkyukai but I haven't had the privilege of training with him as yet. Other David is jezr's Hapkido instructor whom I have trained with. Goju is big on hips as well but it is a different type of hip movement to what jezr needs to make his Hapkido techniques work.
I'm only familiar with two types of hip movements. The wrong kind as in what I learned early on and the GoJu kind. :)

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front and back can go well with no major pain, just plain lack of flexibility I belive, but as soon as it goes sideways it becomes painful, and can click and pinch.

Latest Discussions