Hip Movement Drills

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm only familiar with two types of hip movements. The wrong kind as in what I learned early on and the GoJu kind. :)
Goju hips generate power, Aikido centre is a much more subtle power. Hard and soft. That is why I incorporated the principles of Aikido into my Goju.

As to your 'wrong' kind ... I'm not even going to ask. ;)
:asian:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can do flexibility exercises for the hips and strengthening exercises for the hips. Both work really well. There's a lot of them on yourtube both from martial artists and from the physical therapy world. Some good solo drills from the ju-jitsu world, too.

Just don't try to push too hard and get hurt. But you'll probably notice a difference in six weeks.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are tons of hip movement drills in BJJ. Probably not the kind that are going to help your hapkido, though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are tons of hip movement drills in BJJ. Probably not the kind that are going to help your hapkido, though.

I disagree. I think the hip movement drills in BJJ would help his Hapkido a lot. A whole lot, actually.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think the hip movement drills in BJJ would help his Hapkido a lot. A whole lot, actually.

Okay, you've got my interest. Care to elucidate? I've never studied Hapkido, but I've watched enough video to have some general impressions of the art.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start doing some extra hip exercises over the next few weeks. I'm starting to think that I may have a orthopedic issue, that was hidden by my minor tear of the meniscus. That has been getting better and am noticing as the pain resides that my knees in general are sore on the lower inside, which I think can be caused by bad foot support (or hips too I guess).

So will try exercising and see how I go, and check in with my GP to get a referral to a Sports Physio.

I'm interested in the BJJ drills though, one of the guys at training has a blue in BJJ and was showing me a drill of alternating on your side and lifting the knee and rotating the hips up and down the mat. Hoping you will know what I'm referring to with your background. We are encouraged to test our techniques with our partners with resistance, and I think getting my hip movement working for me in harmony would work well for breaking some of the pins.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minor update.

I decided to tackle one symptom at a time since I want to try and get a long term solution.

Have got rid of my shoes with no support or bought arch support for them, and actively improving my posture. (I drive 3 hours a day to work and sit in an office chair all day and tend to slouch) I no longer have clicking going on in my hips and the stiffness is nor painful in day to day activities, just appalling flexibility still.

I've now moved on to working on stretching the abductors each morning now as I move into the exercise\stretching part to improve my side kicks. Starting to see minor improvements and no click pain, just good ole hard training pain, and time will tell.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After about six months I no longer have the pain at the hips when kicking, I can get to about mid chest after a good warm up.

I started noticing considerable changes after I started squatting, my legs and hips became stronger and was able to kick higher, no stretching, just warm ups.

Having no pain now means I can focus more on proper form... which still has a long way.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Serious answers are in short supply today...

You cannot really practice hip movements, because although it's vital (not merely important) to used your hips, you can't drill the hips. The techniques require that entire body. It would be like practicing a wrist lock by moving just your elbow.

However, you might consider twerking. Post video...
So if I center my knee so that the ball socket of my HIP properly drops out to withstand the impact of kicking, I can't possibly practice this... why?

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Front and back can go well with no major pain, just plain lack of flexibility I belive, but as soon as it goes sideways it becomes painful, and can click and pinch.

I'm not the only one? That's weirdly comforting.
With me it's not really a flexibility thing. It only happens with my left leg, right where it meets my trunk. Bring my knee straight up to my shoulder makes something... I don't know exactly. Pop or click or settle in a strange position. It doesn't hurt, but it's not comfortable. It's especially odd doings kicks from the outside, or bringing my knee high enough to side kick in the stomach area. After a long day of kicking, it feels strange. It feels like I'm dragging around a vestigal bone in my hip. Or perhaps a badly placed bone that didn't settle back in and got flung out of it's socket repeatedly. It's one of the 2 reasons why I dropped crescent kicks.
I've never had a hip injury. My leg is flexible enough to go well beyond the point where it pops. It's never been an issue with my right leg. Oddly, that leg is immensely more flexible than the other, but not as strong or coordinated. I wonder if it's related, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't call it painful. It sounds like the same actions are causing our issues though. My issue hasn't gone away. It's just more irritating the day following training and then it recovers.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not the only one? That's weirdly comforting.
With me it's not really a flexibility thing. It only happens with my left leg, right where it meets my trunk. Bring my knee straight up to my shoulder makes something... I don't know exactly. Pop or click or settle in a strange position. It doesn't hurt, but it's not comfortable. It's especially odd doings kicks from the outside, or bringing my knee high enough to side kick in the stomach area. After a long day of kicking, it feels strange. It feels like I'm dragging around a vestigal bone in my hip. Or perhaps a badly placed bone that didn't settle back in and got flung out of it's socket repeatedly. It's one of the 2 reasons why I dropped crescent kicks.
I've never had a hip injury. My leg is flexible enough to go well beyond the point where it pops. It's never been an issue with my right leg. Oddly, that leg is immensely more flexible than the other, but not as strong or coordinated. I wonder if it's related, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't call it painful. It sounds like the same actions are causing our issues though. My issue hasn't gone away. It's just more irritating the day following training and then it recovers.
You doubt that, why?

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You doubt that, why?

Everybody has one leg that's more flexible than the other. It seems like my problem could be related to my left leg's increased flexibility, or it it could be that that leg would be more flexible anyway.
My left leg's knee and hip area are both a lot more flexible than my right's. But I can lift the entirety of my right leg higher overall despite this. Maybe because it's stronger, or maybe because my left leg's flexibility let's be twist and extend easier, causing my right to be higher.
I can't reach head height with my left's strength by itself. I need to throw it off the ground. I can reach it easy enough, but I can't get it back up their without putting my foot on the ground again. My right can reach head height no problem.
It's weird. I've learned to kick a little differently with each leg because of strange differences in flexibility. I'm really digressing though. :p
My hip area that has the problem seems to have the same range of motion in a relaxed setting. It doesn't. I don't know for any certainty whether they are related. I think if I can't know, I'd just rather not assume I've been cursed or blessed in some way. I'd rather assume it's pretty much the same as the average baseline for flexibility.

Latest Discussions