high level skill

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you consider high level skill in shaolin kempo or any kenpo? Is there a ceiling to increasing skill or not?
Obviously i am not speaking about odd thoughts of being able to beat the crap out of anyone...
Respectfully,
Marlon

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't think there's a ceiling -- at least not one that can be reached within the limits of a human lifespan.

there is a point of diminishing returns, i think, where new insights come fewer and farther between. by then, continuing to train is almost an act of faith. you know another epiphany will come eventually, so you keep at it.

just my 2 cents.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps i did not phrase my question appropriately. What is the way one defines high level skill in kempo / kenpo? How is it different from a healthy, athletic fast 20 something 3rd degree black belt's skill?

respectfully,
Marlon

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a kempo/kenpo guy, but if you don't mind I'd like to chime in on what I've observed in the study of taekwondo.

One of the areas I see skill growing with years of training is in timing and the ability to "read" people during sparring / fighting.

In the same way a black belt can "see" what a yellow or orange belt is about to do, 3rd degree or master ranks can "see" what a first dan is about to do and counter them.

I know from experience I can often read beginners (and even black belts with less experience) so well that I almost have to pause and WAIT for them to commit enough to the technique they are about to do so my counter isn't launched too soon.

I imagine the same sort of thing proves true in kenpo/kempo.

Does this apply to what you were talking about?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a kempo/kenpo guy, but if you don't mind I'd like to chime in on what I've observed in the study of taekwondo.

One of the areas I see skill growing with years of training is in timing and the ability to "read" people during sparring / fighting.

In the same way a black belt can "see" what a yellow or orange belt is about to do, 3rd degree or master ranks can "see" what a first dan is about to do and counter them.

I know from experience I can often read beginners (and even black belts with less experience) so well that I almost have to pause and WAIT for them to commit enough to the technique they are about to do so my counter isn't launched too soon.

I imagine the same sort of thing proves true in kenpo/kempo.

Does this apply to what you were talking about?

First, you're welcome here anytime zDom, and I hope you come back often. (Hey, I even visited the women's section the other day--got a nice reception, tho they did tell me I had to wear a skirt and wig next time).

Second, not exactly sure what Marlon is asking (and Marlon, this is not criticism, just am not understanding your question I guess :)), but my experience is similar to zDom's. The longer I do the arts and the higher I go, the better my timing, etc. The street-wise teens I teach after school often comment 'You're so fast' (meaning: for an old man :lol2:) , but in reality I'm not that fast. But I've learned how to read body shifts which are preludes to attacks, how to take a better angle in order to ward off someone/beat them to the same spot, and to shake off/ignore the pain of strikes/qinna pressures and just complete my own attack.

I expect that if I can keep practicing/learning/growing for another 15 years, which will make me 70--the age of my current Grandmaster, all these areas will just be that much better. If I can move like he does at 70, I'll be a happy man.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I read an account of 2 9th dan in kendo having a match. One struck 7 times, the other never struck, and did not even evade or parry the blows. yet the one who did not strike was the winner.

When I figure that out, then I will know the answer your question.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read an account of 2 9th dan in kendo having a match. One struck 7 times, the other never struck, and did not even evade or parry the blows. yet the one who did not strike was the winner.

Where is this? This is a "must read" for me.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Perhaps a story that's not true? Just a guess
icon12.gif

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a high level is acheived when one can not only perform the art, but also understand the reasons "why" behind the techniques.
Being able to lead others effectively in learning, being a contributor to the art, self mastery, and setting the good example also factor in.
There is no substitute for experience and it takes lots of that to get there! :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where is this? This is a "must read" for me.

I read it in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Miyamoto-Musa...9155346?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176497960&sr=8-9

0834805677.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings (Paperback)
by Kenji Tokitsu

Kenji Tokitsu is himself a high dan ranking in Kendo, and he wrote at length about the match and why it was the way it was, and how most of the students of kendo today don't understand this match and how sad that makes him for the state of kendo today.

This book is composed about 50% writings of Musashi, 50% by Tokitsu about the writings of Musashi. I recommend this book HIGHLY, and I haven't even started on the stuff written by Musashi himself!

It describes almost all of his 60 duels with a level of detail that is amazing for something that happened 400 years ago. That is just the beginning, it goes very deep into the developemnt of bujutsu, and later budo, the philosophical side of training the sword, and how it became intertwined with religion for the Japanese of the Edo through pre-WW2 periods. Since the author is himself a high rank in kendo and jujutsu, that seems to give him an excellent perspective into the material.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A high level of skill to me has to do just as much with understanding of what it is your doing as well as how well you do it. I'm a brown belt that's been teaching at my school for several years now. I know the techniques I teach very well. Yet every time the school master runs us through details of techniques, it turns out that there are layers upon layers of information contained in the material that less skilled, experienced student is not ready to learn yet.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First, you're welcome here anytime zDom, and I hope you come back often. (Hey, I even visited the women's section the other day--got a nice reception, tho they did tell me I had to wear a skirt and wig next time).

Second, not exactly sure what Marlon is asking (and Marlon, this is not criticism, just am not understanding your question I guess :)), but my experience is similar to zDom's. The longer I do the arts and the higher I go, the better my timing, etc. The street-wise teens I teach after school often comment 'You're so fast' (meaning: for an old man :lol2:) , but in reality I'm not that fast. But I've learned how to read body shifts which are preludes to attacks, how to take a better angle in order to ward off someone/beat them to the same spot, and to shake off/ignore the pain of strikes/qinna pressures and just complete my own attack.

I expect that if I can keep practicing/learning/growing for another 15 years, which will make me 70--the age of my current Grandmaster, all these areas will just be that much better. If I can move like he does at 70, I'll be a happy man.

Criticism is never an issue with me. I guess reading an opponent is one thing i would also consider high level skill. I am just asking what are the end goals of your training. Are we seeking to be stronger better faster all the time. in which case age would eventually force diminishing returns on us. I look at Doc and his skill level doesnot depend on being faster or a certain body type or age. What is it we seek to master in mastering shaolin kempo? speed cannot be the answer

rerspectfully,
marlon

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a high level is acheived when one can not only perform the art, but also understand the reasons "why" behind the techniques.
Being able to lead others effectively in learning, being a contributor to the art, self mastery, and setting the good example also factor in.
There is no substitute for experience and it takes lots of that to get there! :)

Thank you. When you say the 'why' behind the techniques are you speaking of anotomical reasons and tactics or something else?

Respectfully,
Marlon

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A high level of skill to me has to do just as much with understanding of what it is your doing as well as how well you do it. I'm a brown belt that's been teaching at my school for several years now. I know the techniques I teach very well. Yet every time the school master runs us through details of techniques, it turns out that there are layers upon layers of information contained in the material that less skilled, experienced student is not ready to learn yet.

i know i expirence something like this myself..even in discussions here on MT. Can you give an example of some of the layers of info you speak of?

respectfully,
Marlon

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Criticism is never an issue with me. I guess reading an opponent is one thing i would also consider high level skill. I am just asking what are the end goals of your training. Are we seeking to be stronger better faster all the time. in which case age would eventually force diminishing returns on us. I look at Doc and his skill level doesnot depend on being faster or a certain body type or age. What is it we seek to master in mastering shaolin kempo? speed cannot be the answer

rerspectfully,
marlon

The end goals of my training...What do I seek to master in the end...? Ok, that helps a lot, thanks Marlon.

I said s.th. close to what I'm going to answer here on another kempo thread started by Mike (MJS) awhile ago, and continuing as of yesterday. But won't hurt me to articulate it here.

There are four areas I want to master (keep peeling away layers in order to see further and further/understand more and more) and pass on to others before I die. The rehearsed components: Techniques in response to particular situations; and Forms, which unfortunately seem to be reduced to padding the content for testing requirements, instead of connected to fighting/self defense. And the unrehearsed components: the Bunkai of those forms, which is to me the primary reason for them in the first place (a lesser reason is conditioning, learning the body can move in ways we didn't previously understand, etc., that is, pure body mechanics and body 'building'); and the use of those techniques in simulated fighting situations. Most systems/schools use sparring for this, but to me there's a disconnect between learning 150-300 empty hand techniques for weapons disarms, defense against an attack, all with an unresisting 'attacker', and then strapping on gloves and headgear to practice against a resisting/fighting-back attacker with kickboxing equipment and point-fighting rules. How does the unrehearsed latter train us to become better at the rehearsed former? Instead, I've gone to the san soo portion of Kung Fu San Soo, where it's free 'fighting' but at maybe 1/4 speed and with lighter (hah!) contact so we don't have too high a body count (for examples, see the Chinese MA section, Southern sub section, where I've posted clips).

So, the end goals of my training would be to become the best I can become in this lifetime at all four of these areas, and in teaching all four of these areas.

shaolin-warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Marlon,
what a great question. Kempo is one of the few arts that allows all skill levels to become proficient at self defense. It really lends to the meaning " It is better to practice one technique a thousand times than one thousand techniques once."
High skill level in Kempo IMO is when you no longer have to think about your reactions but rather react upon instinct. To loose all inhibitions about getting in close and seizing control. Allowing your block to morph into you strike naturally without conscious thought about feet placement or stance or balance. Being able to draw upon your specialized skill sets to know which techniques will work for your body type, whether to go to the inside or work from the outside. All of these things taking place in an instant IMO constitutes high skill level in Kempo.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you consider high level skill in shaolin kempo or any kenpo? Is there a ceiling to increasing skill or not?
Obviously i am not speaking about odd thoughts of being able to beat the crap out of anyone...
Respectfully,
Marlon

Hello - my two cents if you don't mind is high level keeps moving. An average person who does well is advanced around Green.

Yes there is a ceiling to all physical training. Are you hitting the training wall as far as energy or time?