Testing your Skill Level ?

I disagree with your comment about "getting in the ring", but overall agree completely with your sentiment.

Tournaments or Sparring does measure more than who is faster, it is who is more knowledgable, who moves better, or has more "ring savvy(sp?)", who has the better timing. The training partner who is bigger, stronger, or quicker, but who has less time in the Art, should be able to be defeated by the person who has more time AT the Art.

Yes, I do know better guys, but lets look at the ideal for a second. Why would any guy who is an adult below normal height and weight get in the Martial Arts. I am assuming it is to learn how to fight bigger opponents and not be a victim. Not that this is everyone's reason, but the hidden insecurities or fears are part of our psyche and an emotional imperative exists to survive, regardless of whether we are aware of it or not.

Test yourself with the Redman suit or FIST makes a good full body suit for training.

Nobody in their right mind should go out and look for fights. I hope this is a purely intellectual discussion and you don't really go out and "test" yourselves this way. It is an increadibly stupid thing to do. You never know when you will run into a gun or knife or slip and fall. If you want an adreniline rush, go jump out of a plane, don't go looking for fights then encourage others to. It is very irresponsible to put this up as a way of "proving" your Art.

Unless you are a bouncer in a bar, or peace officer, unless you compete in a contact sport, like boxing, Muay Thai, etc., you should not be engaging in fights, enless your life is being threatened. Your potential for doing permanent injury to someone goes up as your training continues. It is so easy to slip and really maim or damage someone, once you have spent years and years in some of the heavier contact arts, or more destructive styles.

Think before you post something that a 14 year old boy is going to go try. Geez.

-MB

You're right Mr. Billings, there is skill and other technical issues in sparring other than just luck and speed. But the point I'm trying to make is that you can prove to yourself that you're going to survive out on the streets just because you know how to survive in a ring. The situations are completely different. No one really knows what they're going to do in that type of scenario until they're truely there.

And I completely agree with your statement about giving ideas to others with this thread. But what I see as a good point with this thread is that people were already out there trying to prove something to themselves. Who knows, maybe if they read all these posts, they'll think twice before going out on the streets and getting themselves hurt. Or even worste, hurting someone else.

Mr. Billings,

Think before you post something that a 14 year old boy
is going to go try. Geez.

Who are you directing this comment at?

As for tournaments, I believe they are a good thing... i.e. full-contact type tournaments. I don't really think the regular 'tag game' played are all that helpful, except for perhaps performing 'under pressure'.

And finally, NO ONE should go out looking for fights. The chances you get hurt are way too big, not to mention the legal ramifications of such things.

KG

Getting in the ring is probably the best place to find what works and what doesnt. I'im not talking about doing tournys or point sparring, I'm talking about making some contact, not having so many limits on what you can and cant do, and include some standing grappling as well as on the ground.

Mike

Originally posted by Michael Billings

Why would any guy who is an adult below normal height and weight get in the Martial Arts. I am assuming it is to learn how to fight bigger opponents and not be a victim. Not that this is everyone's reason, but the hidden insecurities or fears are part of our psyche and an emotional imperative exists to survive, regardless of whether we are aware of it or not.

Everybody always has fear inside each of us. Overcoming this fear takes a lot of times and courages.

there is nothing wrong with a person who is NOT tall and NOT big to learn MA.

It is wise to do so. Better be prepared than be a victim.

Bigger doesn't mean better and it also is not a guarantee for every victory.

When you fight with somebody, you will always fight with somebody who is BIGGER and BETTER than you. In some cases, you will fight more than 1 person AT THE SAME TIME

what i try to say is you will always fight UNFAIRLY.

how many of you see a small and skinny bad guy after a BIG and MUSCULAR guy ???

do you see any bad guy come up to the cop and point the gun at the cop for 20 dollars ??

Originally posted by FiveSwords
My instructor tells us a story about something SGM Parker said to one of his students once: (paraphrasing)

"After 6 months of training, you will be able to hold your own against 9 out of 10 guys on the street. But for that 10th guy, you will have to train for the rest of your life."

Moral of the story: You never know who that 10th guy will be. :asian:

I watched Ed Parker working with a guy before a tournament in the sixties. He was showing him a combination. Parker said, "Just give him a one than three." He kept repeating it over and over while demonstrating to the student, "One, three, one, three." Finally the student asked curiously, Mr. Parker what happened to the two?' Mr. Parker smiled and said, "Oh the other guy is going to get hit you with two." the lesson was a simple one. Even if you do everything right, you still get hit. Be prepared for it.

Sadly a lot of schools don't teach that. They teach you to think you are invinsible, when reality is, if you get in a fight, you will most likely get hit. A lot of people live in la la land, but some realize, that the arts just make us more prepared for the situation.

" No matter how good of a swimmer you are, if you swim in a pool of sharks you are bound to get bit".

Or something like that

Originally posted by FiveSwords
My instructor tells us a story about something SGM Parker said to one of his students once: (paraphrasing)

"After 6 months of training, you will be able to hold your own against 9 out of 10 guys on the street. But for that 10th guy, you will have to train for the rest of your life."

Moral of the story: You never know who that 10th guy will be. :asian:

I like that story and it's so true because there is always someone better.

Originally posted by Shiatsu
Sadly a lot of schools don't teach that. They teach you to think you are invinsible, when reality is, if you get in a fight, you will most likely get hit. A lot of people live in la la land, but some realize, that the arts just make us more prepared for the situation.

" No matter how good of a swimmer you are, if you swim in a pool of sharks you are bound to get bit".

Or something like that
You sir, said a mouthful.

I test my skill level by wandering the countryside challenging other martial artists in duels to the death in solitary and aesthetically pleasing locations.:)

Originally posted by Doc
I watched Ed Parker working with a guy before a tournament in the sixties. He was showing him a combination. Parker said, "Just give him a one than three." He kept repeating it over and over while demonstrating to the student, "One, three, one, three." Finally the student asked curiously, Mr. Parker what happened to the two?' Mr. Parker smiled and said, "Oh the other guy is going to get hit you with two." the lesson was a simple one. Even if you do everything right, you still get hit. Be prepared for it.

i wonder why 3 men attack doesn't work in this situation ???. If we get hit, what is the point of learning 3 men attack ?????:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by redfang
I test my skill level by wandering the countryside challenging other martial artists in duels to the death in solitary and aesthetically pleasing locations.:)

I do my challenges on top of a tall building, preferrably in front of a neon sign.:D

Back