Help Needed with Fliers

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have two or three different fliers that I post arond town at grocery stores and libraries advertising my class. I would like to see different examples of fliers from some of your schools.
I want some new ideas for layout and content. Any help will be appreciated and used.
I would love it if everyone posted them here or email them to me.
:)

AoG
[email protected]
[email protected]

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will post some probably via Rapidshare when I get a chance, but the one that I like and use the most is a simple one done with my word processor.
It has the name of the school at the top, the school logo large (or sometimes a kicker clipart), then a brief description of the program. At the bottom, I usually put about a dozen ripoff tags with the phone and website on it.
Nothing fancy, but the tags get ripped off, so it must work.
I just want something a little fancier or more unique.

AoG

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good job in asking to see other martial art fliers, but for uniqueness I might also suggest that you look at what other industries are putting out. Some of the bigger companies have spent large amounts of resources researching marketing and area specifics and their results (as seen in their mailings and fliers and other advertisings). I have used ideas gleaned from carpet cleaning companies, aviation companies, and a few others especially different layouts and color set ups. Professionalism counts, what you put out represents you and this should be kept in mind. I also suggest that you incorporate some kind of tracking method so you can judge if your message is being effective and heard.

Warmest regards
Brian King

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have two or three different fliers that I post arond town at grocery stores and libraries advertising my class. I would like to see different examples of fliers from some of your schools.
I want some new ideas for layout and content. Any help will be appreciated and used.
I would love it if everyone posted them here or email them to me.
:)

AoG
[email protected]
[email protected]

Having some what of a graphic arts- layout and design background. One thing I can say is; The 10 foot rule. Your flier should be able to be read at ten foot. The four basic rules apply; who, what, where and when. You should, if possible, use color (laser jet is a must) Pics cut out on photo shop is better than a graphic. Only one tpe font is reccommended. It should be something easy to read, like arial or times new roman. Once again, a good laser jet printer is a must. Ink jet cost around 70 cents per page compared to 7 cents per page for laser printer.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't had much luck with fliers plus most places around here don't seem to like them being hung up. I do have trifold brochures that we hand out at events that we do. The brochures mainly give info on why to take martial arts, who we are and how to contact us.

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What a timely topic for me. I will be starting to teach sometime within the next month or so. And just today I was starting to lay out a one page flyer (or design that could be used as a newspaper advert).

Here is my first crack at it. I wanted to avoid any use of color as that drives up cost and really increases the size of the electronic file. By design the only contact details I have is my email. Part of the reason for this is, I do not have a brick and mortar school (I teach in the parks) and I have zero inclination to publish my home phone.

I chose the kind of weird historical graphic (it is from a hand drawn Chinese martial arts manual of the late 1800s) because it was simple, kind of different and ties in with a traditional approach.

I am not super happy with the text, the wording, at this point. But we shall see what I come up with. What would folks suggest?

A friend of mine criticized it saying, never use words in flyers that are not widely known and Guang Ming Li is not widely known. Guang Ming Li is the name of the place where this art was developed here in Taiwan and it is the name of my system but I do see what my friend is saying. Unknown words may equal bad reaction or general disinterest.

My friend also said, "nobody gives a rats *** you write for Kung Fu Taichi magazine, drop that too". He maybe right about that.

The Ten Foot rule is interesting, let me ponder that overnight. What it basically means though is name, phone number, one graphic?

In any event here is the first draft:

guangmingliposterthird.jpg

take care,
Brian

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not abig fan of fliers, just my two cents. You do better do some type of demo or free lady se;f defense class and then get signs up that way.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seeing as I work in the print industry and sales planning. I would highly reconsider using black and white fliers. At least use a color paper with black print. White paper with color ink is the best but more expensive. You need to remember that color increases retention and readership. SOmetimes up to 75% more than jsut Black and White. A good idea is to look at your junk mail ? What catches you eye? Chances are it won't be anything that is Black and White. If you are going to invest in advertising spend the extra few $$$ and make it a good return on your investment. Just my advice.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you offer either a free trial membership of a reduced price trial membership? Why not put those offers on a long coupon, and give the coupons to your existing students? Since word-of-mouth is always the best advertising, you can get a higly-targeted personal invitation to those people your students know and think will also make good, interested students. If you use card stock for the coupons, you can print 3 or 4 coupons from a single sheet. Also, if you have your student sign the back of the coupon, then you can give the student a credit (towards lessons, supplies, or 'points' in a contest) for each coupon they hand out that is redeemed.

This has worked well for our school, as do demonstrations (there is alawys a surge in new interest rigth after a competition or demonstration). The other thing that has worked very well is to offer a beginner's class (8 to 10 weeks) through the local Parks and Rec. office. They advertise, you establish the appropriate fees, students get a sample taste of your art and style, and many continue with the regular class after the P&R class is over.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not abig fan of fliers, just my two cents. You do better do some type of demo or free lady se;f defense class and then get signs up that way.

If someone sees your name in more than one place they start to remember it. I do not do a lot of fliers.. maybe once a year but after a few years people came in with their kids. I asked how they heard of my school and they said they had recalled the name awhile back and it just popped out at them. Also instead of a Women's self-defense possibly try a family self defense course. 2 kids, 2 parents.. maybe one sign up.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never had much luck with fliers, they seem to be torn down in this area.
My suggestion would be keep it simple, and to the point. Give the name, location, and a very brief description of what your school is about. If you offer special self defense, woman’s, or children classes list them.
Leave a phone number and email address and that would be about it.
Titles like Summer Special, or Fall enrolment open also catch the eye

Latest Discussions