Help needed by fellow Martial Artists

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Martialtalk members

I have previously posted this message in the introduction section on these forums and many kind martial artists have responded to my request for participants in a university study I am carrying out. I am still in need of many more participants so if you have a minute to read the message below and then 10-15 minutes to complete the questionnaire I would be more than grateful.

My name is Alan Buchan. I am from Scotland, a primary school teacher, father of 3, keen martial artist and psychology student in my spare time with the Open University UK. I am a 2nd Dan in Tukido started by Grandmaster HA Teh in Scotland. I am completing my final module as part of my BSc Psychology (Hons) and would really appreciate my fellow martial artists completing the questionnaire about martial arts and personality. It should take about 10-15 minutes to complete. Other martial arts forums have been helpful so far.

I am attempting to gather as many responses from as many styles of martial arts as possible so any help the martialtalk community can give me would be greatly appreciated. This is not phishing or spam and all responses are confidential and require no personal details. The study has received full ethical approval from the Open University UK and all information is confidential and stored securely. My academic supervisors email is available on request.

Many thanks in advance if you take the time to help me out and if not all the best anyway in whatever style you take part in.

Alan

https://openss.qualtrics.com/ SE/?SID=SV_789pvWjHbOc79IN

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've completed the survey, although I struggled with some of the questions, particularly when it comes to other people's opinions of me. I don't tend to ask how people see me so I rarely know how they perceive me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I filled this out the other day when you posted it. For those of us who did, do you want us to fill it out again to because some of the questions have changed, or would that confound the results?

OP
Northface

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe I filled this out the other day when you posted it. For those of us who did, do you want us to fill it out again to because some of the questions have changed, or would that confound the results?

I'm Pretty sure the questions haven't changed and if they have I am not sure why this has happened. I will look into this but thanks for completing it earlier. I will repost if it may require you to complete it again.

Alan

Post script I changed a bit of font but nothing on the questionnaire so your response remains safe. Thanks for pointing that out

Last edited:
OP
Northface

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
I've completed the survey, although I struggled with some of the questions, particularly when it comes to other people's opinions of me. I don't tend to ask how people see me so I rarely know how they perceive me.
Many thanks. It really is massively helpful. If you have friends that may take part then please share.

Alan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In surveys of this type, those kinds of questions are usually designed for you to share your perception of others' perception of you.

OP
Northface

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
Done. I'd love to see the results of the research when you're done.
Hi Gerry
First of all thanks for taking the time to complete the survey. Secondly I will endeavour to post a copy of my findings or leave an email for people to contact me for a copy.

What I have discovered so far from previous research is that they have been limited in the styles they have used (predominantly karate, taekwondo, judo) in their studies and the samples have been quite small. My study is an undergraduate endeavour and very limited as a result but already I have been interested in the numerous styles who have taken the survey. I would really like over a 100 respondents but I realise its not for everyone to take part. However if you know anybody who would like to take the questionnaire then I would appreciate it

Thanks once more

Alan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gerry
First of all thanks for taking the time to complete the survey. Secondly I will endeavour to post a copy of my findings or leave an email for people to contact me for a copy.

What I have discovered so far from previous research is that they have been limited in the styles they have used (predominantly karate, taekwondo, judo) in their studies and the samples have been quite small. My study is an undergraduate endeavour and very limited as a result but already I have been interested in the numerous styles who have taken the survey. I would really like over a 100 respondents but I realise its not for everyone to take part. However if you know anybody who would like to take the questionnaire then I would appreciate it

Thanks once more

Alan
I will share it out to some other folks beyond this forum.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Submitted my entry. The format of the first few questions was a bit limiting, as they seem to assume the survey taker only practices a single art. I kept it down to the arts I am currently most involved with and on the rank question I just listed the highest ranks.

OP
Northface

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
Submitted my entry. The format of the first few questions was a bit limiting, as they seem to assume the survey taker only practices a single art. I kept it down to the arts I am currently most involved with and on the rank question I just listed the highest ranks.
Thanks for the Feedback Tony.

I take that point on board. This will be useful in my discussion section of my final report. As this is an undergraduate dissertation it is limited by time. This study could easily be developed into a PHD and attempt to access multiple styles in multiple countries. Indeed a whole other study could be carried out using participants like yourself with multiple skill sets in various styles.

Thanks again for responding and if you have students over 18 who would be willing to take it I would be appreciative.

All the best

Alan

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Done.
Several of the martial systems I am involved in don't have a 'rank' but I am a certified instructor of them. Also am ranked in a few systems but no longer involved in them so didn't list them.
There many martial artists with high level training in multiple systems/styles. Also there are many systems/styles which have no rank or grade. Similar to boxing one trains and fights or one trains to the point the instructor deems you qualified to instruct or lead your own group. So you become an instructor or coach.
I will forward this to several of my students.

OP
Northface

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Danny. Really appreciate you doing the survey and explaining some of the unique way students are ranked in different styles. It poses a challenge to me in how I compare different styles in my study but it will be interesting.

Thanks again

Alan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Danny. Really appreciate you doing the survey and explaining some of the unique way students are ranked in different styles. It poses a challenge to me in how I compare different styles in my study but it will be interesting.

Thanks again

Alan
On that point, Alan, also remember that ranks don't mean the same thing between styles (and even between associations in the same art, sometimes). For instance, there are many styles where a black belt is normally achievable in 2-3 years, and is considered sort of a starting point for actually digging into the art. There are other arts (mainline NGA is one) where black belt is an instructor rank, and shodan (first degree black belt) usually takes 7-11 years. I don't know how that factors into your analysis, but I wanted to make sure you had it. If nothing else, it probably belongs in the write-up as a problem with researching across multiple arts.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Q1. Please enter your data identifier It will consist of the first three letters of your mother's maiden name and the six numbers which make up your date of birth. For example ell230577

So no, sorry. I'm an IT guy, that's not going to work for me. If I can use a string I made up, then fine.​

OP
Northface

Northface

White Belt
Reaction score
Q1. Please enter your data identifier It will consist of the first three letters of your mother's maiden name and the six numbers which make up your date of birth. For example ell230577

So no, sorry. I'm an IT guy, that's not going to work for me. If I can use a string I made up, then fine.​
Hi Bill
If making a string of letters of your own choice i9s what you want to do and that you can quote back to me if you need your data removed then that is absolutely fine. If its still a problem then there is no pressure to complete the survey although it would help me greatly.

All the best
Alan

Latest Discussions