Non Profit Organization for MA Club?

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations!

Anyone here familiar with starting a non profit martial art club in the USA?

I understand some things are different according to state. I got a few books from the local library and did an internet search.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'll want to have a lawyer look into it. There are some clubs and similar schools (like dance or art academies) that make a successful run as a nonprofit.

When my lawyer analyzed it, it looked like it would cost a couple grand a year just to file the needed paperwork. I decided against it. But perhaps it's different in your state.

Good luck.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I know organazation like the AAU with your club being register can use there non-profit status and the cost is a neer $125.00 a year, so if you do Karate or wrestling or KungFu or TKD you can use them. The next best thing is Nevada they are the cheapest and the least amount of paperwork.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely see a qualified attorney that specializes in non-profit orgs. Many offer a low-cost or no-cost consultation to get you on the right road. The more homework you do ahead of time, the more bang you can get out of your consultation :)

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an extra respect for non-profit schools. I have almost always been trained non-profit and am extremely grateful. We even managed to have all the required equipment because we all pitched in. I find it to be the most traditional method. Even if it's not a TMA. It offers an education for a less fortunate person, often a kid. Though the bills ended up being too much after a while and we couldn't afford it. I think research is of paramount importance. Things can change too.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a Tae Kwon Do school in my area that did that. They teach in a poor area, and many students cann't aford tuition so they did what ever they could to cut costs (like a uniform recylcing program). They ended up going through the red tape to make themselves a none profit organization so they can cut tuition down alot.
They're a good school. We did a demo with them when they opened a new school, they come to a lot of the Cuong Nhu seminars we have also. I recall my sensei said that their was a Tae Kwon Do school trying to use Cuong Nhu knife/gun disarms to help beef up there black belt program, I believe they are the same school.
Also, the over all Cuong Nhu association (Cuong Nhu Oriental Martial Arts Association, or CNOMAA) is a none-profit organization.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an excellent chance that you'll manage to be non-profit without trying... Or even in spite of trying to make a profit.

Oh -- you mean setting your school up as a non-profit organization under the tax codes. You'll need to consult a lawyer; there are both federal and state issues to deal with.

Latest Discussions