Suggestions for after school programs needed

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am about to give a karate/martial arts program a couple times a month for a local after-school program. It would be about 40 minutes long and would be for 5-10 kids all in the age range of 6-12 years old.

I would love to hear suggestions from everyone on what I should do with the group. I have some ideas, but want to hear some different approaches to this class. I want it to be a martial arts program, but I want it to be more focused on fun and recreation rather than a rigid curriculum based program.
Ideas?

AoG

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure they know that is only for self defense, fighting for real is a no-no. Add some other more spiritual aspects, just little philosophies to make 'em think. That kinda thing. Games are good too. I think there was thread on this subject started awhile ago. That might have some other ideas if you have an hour or so to kill. It was a big thread, and was started...maybe a year ago. Something like that.

Good luck

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
for that age group, it's a good idea to switch activities frequently: even if you work kata for 10 minutes, have a new kata game every 3-5 minutes or so. keep the energy level high.

also (and you probably know this), your warmup should always include counting in unison. it's amazing how much starting class with a minute or so of this will really improve the discipline level.