Hatsumi Sensei and the Swordwork in the Bujinkan!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay most of you probably do not know that I have had some Filipino and Korean Sword Training as well as currently studying Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido along with the Sword work in Budo Taijutsu. One thing that I enjoy very much about the collective sword training in the Bujinkan is the freedom of movement within our Taijutsu. Sensei continually demonstrates his unique mastery by improvising and changing with what the moment dicatetes. This I personally think is one of the strong suits of Bikenjutsu in the Bujinkan. (oh and I am willing to admit that it can be a weakness as well depending on the individual) Any thoughts?

If you have not picked up Sensei's latest book on Japanese Swordsmanship then I could not recommend it more.

Manzyberranzan

White Belt
Reaction score
We recently had shihan Arnaud Couserque here in Finland, along with shihans Moti Nativ and Pedro Fleitas. Arnaud commented about swordwork that one should not "block and cut" with the sword, absorbing the enemy's attack and intention should instead be the goal. I think this requires exactly the freedom of movement that you Brian described.

Mänzy

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We recently had shihan Arnaud Couserque here in Finland, along with shihans Moti Nativ and Pedro Fleitas. Arnaud commented about swordwork that one should not "block and cut" with the sword, absorbing the enemy's attack and intention should instead be the goal. I think this requires exactly the freedom of movement that you Brian described.

Mänzy

From afar I have always been fond of the way that Shihan Arnaud Couserque moves with the sword. I bet that was a great seminar.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that I enjoy very much about the collective sword training in the Bujinkan is the freedom of movement within our Taijutsu. Sensei continually demonstrates his unique mastery by improvising and changing with what the moment dicatetes.

Hi Brian,

Is this freedom of movement meant as a breakaway from kata training? It sounds as though it is more technique based, vs. the MJER training you do.

To me, there are benefits of both and each has a distinct purpose. Kata training burns in muscle memory and fluid technique training develops spontaneity. I also train in 2 styles that utilize the sword, one that uses Kata, and the other a technique based style. I do not find a conflict in doing both either.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Is this freedom of movement meant as a breakaway from kata training? It sounds as though it is more technique based, vs. the MJER training you do.

To me, there are benefits of both and each has a distinct purpose. Kata training burns in muscle memory and fluid technique training develops spontaneity. I also train in 2 styles that utilize the sword, one that uses Kata, and the other a technique based style. I do not find a conflict in doing both either.

While I would not say a break away from Kata training, that is part of it. Sensei moves within the moment depending on what is happening with his opponent and when doing so his movement will change to what is needed. (flow - nagare) Now I find this type of movment a strength for myself as I have (or so I have been told) good basics. However the weakness part filters in when someones basics are not so good. So kata movement and precision in the Bujinkan is very important but once you have the basics well then the ability to flow within the moment and change is very important. Sensei's movement is just phenomenal in this matter.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I think I see what you are getting at. Would you say that the Nagare is akin to Ma-ai and timing? When practicing paired kata, the combative distance (ma-ai) is never the same each time, nor the timing, and so uchidachi and shidachi must work with each other. Is that the ability you are saying Hatsumi Sensei excells at? Controlling and changing these 2 aspects?

I think you are spot on in saying that the basics must be sound before the rest starts to make sense, or even begins to show itself. I am of course coming from an outsider's perspective with respect to the Bujinkan (I only had a short time training in there) but I see the similarities in what you are saying with respect to the arts I train now.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I think I see what you are getting at. Would you say that the Nagare is akin to Ma-ai and timing? When practicing paired kata, the combative distance (ma-ai) is never the same each time, nor the timing, and so uchidachi and shidachi must work with each other. Is that the ability you are saying Hatsumi Sensei excells at? Controlling and changing these 2 aspects?

I think you are spot on in saying that the basics must be sound before the rest starts to make sense, or even begins to show itself. I am of course coming from an outsider's perspective with respect to the Bujinkan (I only had a short time training in there) but I see the similarities in what you are saying with respect to the arts I train now.

Hey Monadnock, Mai-ai and timing are certainly a part of it and yet with Sensei it goes much further. When moving he is free to explore and create with no restrictions. Coming from a varied background myself and seeing other people do this (high level people mind you) I find myself constantly amazed at how well he does this. You can particularly see this in various daikomyosaid dvd's that are available. For myself I enjoy all of the different sword work that I do. In the Japanese arts I particularly enjoy MJER but also enjoy the freedom of movement within taijutsu in the Bujinkan.

Koryu Rich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Great thread!

Although my experience is limited I thought I’d pop my head in here :angel:

I’m fortunate enough to not only practice MJER, though I’m very new to it just a year under my belt, as well as Bujinkan but also Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjustu.

It’s been in this that I’ve found the flow you develop in the Bujinkan to help a great deal.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Dan why would you be surprised?

If you have seen top tier sword work (outside of the BJK) - then most of what is seen IN the BJK doesn't look all that great.

From what I have seen - he is more "smash" than "subtle" - but again, I haven't had much exposure to be candid. I prefer subtle and accurate when it comes to blade work... subtle and decisive...

YMMV.

-Daniel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have seen top tier sword work (outside of the BJK) - then most of what is seen IN the BJK doesn't look all that great.

From what I have seen - he is more "smash" than "subtle" - but again, I haven't had much exposure to be candid. I prefer subtle and accurate when it comes to blade work... subtle and decisive...

YMMV.

-Daniel
Is it that Bujinkan swordwork is inferior... Or is it just different?

I'm sure that there are plenty of Bujinkan practitioners who have only the bare minimum knowledge and experience with swordwork; it's the same in any system. But, I suspect that there are others who have spent a lot time really mastering the sword.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, there are plenty of Bujinkan Shihan around that have sought out sword instruction outside of the Bujinkan & I think that these are the ones that shine.
Has Arnaud-sensei done any sword work outside of the Booj that anyone knows of?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure that there are plenty of Bujinkan practitioners who have only the bare minimum knowledge and experience with swordwork; it's the same in any system. But, I suspect that there are others who have spent a lot time really mastering the sword.

Agreed. It's not a common focus in the US, however.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it that Bujinkan swordwork is inferior... Or is it just different?

Hm. It is different for sure. Inferior is too hard to quantify.

Considering 6 of the 9 schools are generally accepted to be Samurai schools - we are pretty light on our knowledge of sword (general statement...).

Impressing other BJK folk with sword work isn't such a big deal - impressing people who have been introduced to GOOD kenjutsu... on the other hand...

Anyway...

-Daniel

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly about that Dan as I get to train regularly with MJER people as well as people in other ryu-ha. What they like about Bujinkan sword work is what happens after the draw and the ability to move on angles, etc. They also like the freedom of movement.

I too like subtlety and can see some subtlety in Bujinkan sword work as well.

Maybe you need to work with some of the Bujinkan people that are simply good with a sword or with some different partners.

Latest Discussions