Backwards Roll help

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know of any video clips online that shows proper technique for backwards rolls. I have a mental and physical block at the moment and would love to see a video clip that I can study.

Just do not have proper placement of arms or what direction the head needs to turn and I just am not doing it right.

Wanted to study before next class.

Thanks

Tom

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not aware of any videos. Don't you have a teacher that can show you?

One thing that has helped me a lot is to forcefully exhale when I roll. It seems to help loosen up my back. That's after you get the proper pacement of your arms and legs of course.

Regardless, it gets easier with practice. I do them almost every day now.

OP
A

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not aware of any videos. Don't you have a teacher that can show you?

One thing that has helped me a lot is to forcefully exhale when I roll. It seems to help loosen up my back. That's after you get the proper pacement of your arms and legs of course.

Regardless, it gets easier with practice. I do them almost every day now.

Yes, I am going to a budo. Was my 1st class about 1.5 weeks ago and there was no class last week so the time separation and all the things they were showing I think I am trying to remember all of them but I guess will just wait til class.

Thanks

tj

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am going to a budo. Was my 1st class about 1.5 weeks ago and there was no class last week so the time separation and all the things they were showing I think I am trying to remember all of them but I guess will just wait til class.

Thanks

tj
That's actually pretty normal...

Your first several classes will overwhelm you with material, and some of it'll stick, but a fair amount won't. I'd encourage you to start making a notebook; if there's a chance, you might be able to write in class, but even if not, you can always write it down afterwards. That'll help you remember more -- and give you a reference during breaks.

OP
A

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's actually pretty normal...

Your first several classes will overwhelm you with material, and some of it'll stick, but a fair amount won't. I'd encourage you to start making a notebook; if there's a chance, you might be able to write in class, but even if not, you can always write it down afterwards. That'll help you remember more -- and give you a reference during breaks.

Yup, that is the plan. I saw a black belt writing notes once in a while and the instructor says he has boatloads of notebooks he had made. I plan on doing this from now on.

Thanks for the great reminder!

tj

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd encourage you to start making a notebook; if there's a chance, you might be able to write in class, but even if not, you can always write it down afterwards.
As often as possible, I try to be the first one class so I can be the last one out of the driveway at the end of class. The extra time waiting for everyone else to move their cars give me time to write notes about the material while it's still the most fresh in my mind.

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
You could just have someone push you down a lot. You'll figure it out. :)

But seriously, backrolls took me a while. I haven't done them for quite some time, but when I was doing them, they became easier with practice.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You could just have someone push you down a lot. You'll figure it out. :)

But seriously, backrolls took me a while. I haven't done them for quite some time, but when I was doing them, they became easier with practice.

You may have meant that as a joke, but there's a lot of truth in it. From shizen no kamae, having someone push me down and back, and then repeating that as soon as I can get back up helped a lot. I think the initial momentum helped me until I really figured out how the roll worked and was supposed to feel.

So Tom, if you can get a friend to push you down a lot, it may help you as well.

Nathan

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a very easy way to give it a try. Take you left leg and put it out as you sit backward and down on your bottom. Round out your back as you roll backwards across your spine to your right shoulder. Then continue momentum until you are on your knees and then standing up. Wish I could help more. It is best to go across the spine diagonally thereby protecting your spine. Good luck and try and learn it the way your teacher will show you.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ever try doing a backward roll with your right arm straight out? This might help you understand the concept of rolling diagonally across the spine. Pracitice with safety in mind. In time this will be an easy technique. Until then practice the way your instructor shows you.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to add to what Hawke said about putting your right arm straight out...

At the same time, put your left hand, palm outward (to your right), by the right side of your face. Now, turn your head to the right and drop your chin toward your right shoulder, and just let your weight drop straight down through your hips until your butt hits the ground softly. As soon as that happens, throw your right leg, knee straight, straight over your right shoulder, and keep it going over until the ball of your right foot meets the mat. Then, bend your knee and let it drop until it meets the mat softly (this prevents your knee from hitting first, which would be bad on a real surface). Using the momentum from having kicked your right leg over your head and shoulder, swing your left leg through straight forward (underneath yourself) until your left foot is directly in front of you. Put your left foot on the ground in front of yourself. You should be kneeling on your right knee, and your left knee should be bent at a 90 degree angle. Bring your hands up to guard yourself. Some styles call this a three-point stance.

People who have stiff lower backs or hamstrings usually have trouble with backward rolls. But, if you can touch your toes without bending your knees, you shouldn't have any problems due to a lack of flexibility.

Please note that I do not practice Ninjutsu, so this type of backward roll comes from another style. It's likely that your teacher will show you a way that's at least slightly different. But, the principles are probably going to be very similar. As others have suggested, follow your teacher's instructions.

btw, the suggestion about having sombeody push you down from in front is a very good one. That's one very typical situation in which a backward roll is very appropriate. For forward rolls, have somebody come up behind you and push you from behind.

Best of luck to you...

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
They took me over a decade to do them comfortably, they were my bain and now likely my best roll.

I just fit them into everyday life. When I got changed in the morn and sitting on the bed, I'd backroll over to the dressor drawers to get my socks and backroll back over the bed. That helped.

I also agree that getting pushed into it or brinigng it into practical application will assist your body into getting it

Kirjava

White Belt
Reaction score
If you put your left leg out, bring it over your right shoulder. Have both arms out to the side (like you're a cross or a 't'), and shift your head away from where you are bringing your leg (in this case, shift your head towards the left). The head doesn't necessarily need to be turned, just tilted (don't look left, look forwards but tilt your head to the left so as to stay out of the way).

Latest Discussions