Apology and Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ronhughen

"There have been a bunch of high profile people leave the Kan. This is an issue that should be looked at seriously and not dismissed as them not being able to handle it, dishonest people, bad hearts whatever."

I agree. Its easy for those "good ol' boys" to sit back and say why someone decided to split, but why not ask the ones leaving. Ralph has been very up-front about his reasons . . . I think basically he feels that the ranking in the BJK is based more on politics and payments than the skills and the knowledge the rank is supposed to represent. My guess would be that Ralph is not the only one to become fed up with such baloney, such puckey.

You know, such a big deal has been made about Ralph Shihan not having a shidoshikai card. He has certificates and personal letters from Hatsumi sensi, but he does not hand out BJK dojo ranks . . . I’m raked under Ralph but I’m not in the BJK . . . it does not matter to me that I’m not in the official BJK. But if you guys are going to get so bent out of shape about Ralph, why are you not also upset by others that ARE handing out BJK ranks but do not have the precious shioshikai card . . . if you are going to play Gestapo of the Bujinkan, you should be consistent and go after all those bad people . . . “I haven't been over to the Kutaki site for some time, as I have let lapse my Shidoshikai card...(beat me now...I have been busy!!)” (Steve Lefebvre, Airyu . . . from the thread “stick techniques”). I’ve heard there are quite a few. Who really cares? If the little card becomes more important than the knowledge then the whole thing becomes silly. I got into training because I developed a personal relationship with someone that could help me with a very troubled life, and now I have overcome most of those troubles (you never completly overcome your *****) . . . and can help others on a similar path. Is that not what it is all about?

R

ronhughen

Jay,

"The Hombu admin stated that Ralph was not a member. If you see issues with this, take it up with him. Killing the messenger isn't helping your cause much."

I'm sorry, but you seem to have missed the point of what I was talking about. In an earlier post I stated that I did not have aproblem with Hatsumi sensei saying that Ralph does not have the card, the problem I have is that people, over the years, have consistently made untrue, undefendable comments about Ralph shihan, people that don't even know him . . . don't even have personal contact with him . . . those are the comments I was referring to.

I was merely asking for those that say negative things about Ralph to justify the basis of where their comments come from or please stop making them . . . so far I've seen two poeple come forward and actually say positive thing . . . YOU saying that we are "Blessed with Ralph", and Dave Gibb saying he likes Ralph BECAUSE he scared the crap out of him . . . I agree with both of you.

So, my question is still: "can anybody that feels Ralph is a bad person . . . or whatever what was meant be 'they know what kind of person he is' defend the implication that statement is making?"

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ronhughen said:
Jay,

"The Hombu admin stated that Ralph was not a member. If you see issues with this, take it up with him. Killing the messenger isn't helping your cause much."

I'm sorry, but you seem to have missed the point of what I was talking about. In an earlier post I stated that I did not have aproblem with Hatsumi sensei saying that Ralph does not have the card, the problem I have is that people, over the years, have consistently made untrue, undefendable comments about Ralph shihan, people that don't even know him . . . don't even have personal contact with him . . . those are the comments I was referring to.

I was merely asking for those that say negative things about Ralph to justify the basis of where their comments come from or please stop making them . . . so far I've seen two poeple come forward and actually say positive thing . . . YOU saying that we are "Blessed with Ralph", and Dave Gibb saying he likes Ralph BECAUSE he scared the crap out of him . . . I agree with both of you.

So, my question is still: "can anybody that feels Ralph is a bad person . . . or whatever what was meant be 'they know what kind of person he is' defend the implication that statement is making?"

The only thing I have to say about this...

And don't take it the wrong way, because I PERSONALLY have never had an unpleasant conversation with Mr Severe, even in our PMs.

However, It seems that he commented much further than just about the politics of ranking, but going so far as to say Hatsumi trains poorly, he doesn't know how to fight, the students in Japan are not being trained well, etc...

He's talking about the "Grandmaster" of the art... I would think that assuming you have "made it better" or have become better, and no longer need to be associated, to the point that you can publicly badmouth him... is folly and arrogance, and that, at the very least, his comments SHOULD be challenged by the students of Hatsumi, in much the same way you are challenging them and Defending Mr. Severe.

I see nothing wrong with leaving for your own reasons, whatever they may be, when you decide to move on. As was stated before, a lot of 'Kan people have done it.

But it's a... hmm, whats a good word... arrogant? thing to then say, "I left because I can do it better" repeatedly in the middle of discussions about him and his training techniques, etc... to the point that the entire conversation in all the threads in the Ninjutsu forum wind up somehow focused on yourself, to the point the owner of the board has to step in and threaten to shut the whole section down. (Granted, Bujinkan members attacking Non-bujinkan members had a lot to do with that also... it went around )

Mr. Severe has he reasons for leaving, has made them painfully obvious, and continually uses abrasive comments and "tones" in many of his posts, where they are not neccessary. The reasons are out... So lets drop it, and talk Ninjutsu. Mr Severe has demonstrated a great deal of knowlage, and I like to gain insight from that...

I asked Don once to please be polite and quit attacking everyone who wasn't Bujinkan so we can learn somthing on this board...

Now I am asking Mr. Severe and his followers to do the same, and quit attacking the Bujinkan so we can set the politics he hates so much aside and learn from each other!

THANKS EVERYBODY!

:asian:

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The funny thing about a few of these post are simple...
I am a Bujinkan member as much as anyone else in the Bujinkan is...
I have not had any other information regarding my membership sent to me by Hatsumi sensei. So?
My personal contact with him says other wise I am in good standing with him.
Funny..
But also I am a student of the Bujinkan arts regardless if I am a member or not.
Next point would be I have never said I was not a member of the Bujinkan or was 'leaving' the Bujinkan.. unless someone misunderstood me.
Ron sensei has a few good questions that seem to be avoided by a few people who made the statements about me.
I asked the same questions many times and didn't get an answer too.
It is normal for many members to lie about what they say on the forum to seem important or above others... in many ways or just to start a written battle for their enjoyment.

I feel Ron sensei is on to something important when honor, respect, integrity and talking behind others backs are concerned.

Next point, being a senior student under Hatsumi sensei I feel it is my right to speak up about something I find incorrect or out-right wrong in the system I train in. This is in the true spirit of the ninpo ikkan...
If I were not ranked by Hatsumi sensei and a long time student of the system, now 23 years.. maybe 24 years.. I wouldn't have that right.
I feel that if you are not a student then what right would you have to ask me not to speak about the system as I do?
I don't feel what I say is politics... NOT AT ALL.
I feel I am speaking from experience.
Seeing and hear someone telling un-truths and something in fact I have experience with and they do not.
Yes yes, this should create fear in those who don't understand or have their bubble broken...
Look at this..
A man gives a raning in a system.. to a willing student...
The student finds out this man doesn't have the experience to pass on the experience he has been confessing to..
I see how this manifest a weakness in the spirit...
It woiuld be a driving instructor giving a lesson in driving when he has never driven a true car before..
I'm sorry if this creates a lot of ill feelings my friends..
It's not my intention to do so..
I'm just doing what Hatsumi sensei asked me to do..

Next point.. sorry.. why not talk about this subject.. why stop having health chats? I see no harm if we are doing it in the best interest of the heart. I personally have no problem with what is being said.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
r.severe said:
. . .

Next point, being a senior student under Hatsumi sensei I feel it is my right to speak up about something I find incorrect or out-right wrong in the system I train in. This is in the true spirit of the ninpo ikkan...
If I were not ranked by Hatsumi sensei and a long time student of the system, now 23 years.. maybe 24 years.. I wouldn't have that right.
I feel that if you are not a student then what right would you have to ask me not to speak about the system as I do?

. . .
I'm just doing what Hatsumi sensei asked me to do..

. . .

ralph severe, kamiyama

Ralph,

No disrespect, I am just clarifying for my own education. Your approach was that of the senior officer on a missions who is to review and give feed back to the senior most officer? Even when your ideas and opinion disagree with the senior most officer present. If so then, I do understand and respect that type of feedback for Hatsumi, as long he has also received the same feedback you have given to others. NOTE: I have no doubt you have given the feedback back Hatsumi.

Later you stated you were only doing what Hatsumi asked of you. As there were many sentences and possible another idea in there as well, I ask if that statement goes with this point.

Thank you

:asian:

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rich, I’m not sure what a ‘senior officer’ is in your question.
Very good question.
But in what I have been told to do as a student of Hatsumi sensei is to go out and play.. this is the basic ‘word” for what he wishes anyone to do, “play”. Play to me is to go to the post, shack things up, test, research, do it, train, and throw it away.
Hatsumi sensei has at no time said do not question him or disagree with him from my knowledge. This of course wouldn’t be ninpo ikkan. I wouldn’t believe he would be against his own teachings would you?
If a teacher, shaman, guide, etc. doesn’t wish for you to disagree or question him then I would be curious ‘why’ they felt that way to begin with.

ralph severe, kamiyama

C

clayton

r.severe said:
Look at this..
A man gives a raning in a system.. to a willing student...
The student finds out this man doesn't have the experience to pass on the experience he has been confessing to..
I see how this manifest a weakness in the spirit...
It woiuld be a driving instructor giving a lesson in driving when he has never driven a true car before..
r.severe said:
The major point is Hatsumi sensei doesn't know fighting..... he has never really fought. He has no history in fighting or experience other than matches in dojo and contest as a young man.
ralph,
i've read your posts and was wondering what your combat/ or real life expierence is, this isn't an attact but i've heard you mention this about hatsumi and was wondering how your expierence differs? prision, military, police, or whatever that put in definate harms way? i've always been interested in peoples backgrounds, i also understand if you chose not to bring this up in a public forum.
-clayton

R

ronhughen

Clayton,

You are asking Mr. Ralph about some of his personal background, yet I noticed on your puplilc profile you supplied NO information . . . who are you? May we know who is asking this question??

-shikoyama

R

ronhughen

Clayton,

I mean . . . most everyone here gives some information so that we konw who we are talking to . . . I, for example use my real name, make my personal website available . . . are you trying to hide who you are?? If so, why?

C

clayton

im not trying to hide anything. my name is clayton lawrence. i train in the bay area cali. father of 2, steady job.
if i was telling john q martial artist that he doesnt train his people for combat because he's never been in said combat on an open forum, then i wouldn't think that my question would be offensive, as im sure mr severe can see. as to a website im just not that cool. im not a godan, and i only teach when my teacher cant make it to class because of work.
oh ya my hobies are collecting knives, cooking, and watching my family grow up safely Ü. i will try to update my profile soon.

R

ronhughen

Thanks for the response . . . it's just nice to talk to real people . . .

:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gentelmen I think this thread is going into areas that have been covered befor. If you wish to start a new thread please feel free to do so but No attacks on one person or his affliation or non afiliation that has already been discussed
as of now this thread should be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.