has anyone here survived multiple attackers , stabbing or shooting due to your MA training

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did you wield it with your chin-fist? I'd pay money to see that.
No, sadly. Twas clean shaven at that time.

Tis a scientific fact that chin fists can only be developed with the addition of a full beard, an evolutionary trait that prevents one from suffering in mating rituals, as exposed chin fists generally are unattractive.

While ladies generally cannot develop the coveted chin fist, they do influence how many men can. Not only that, ladies usually have innate verbal Kung-fu that gents must develop after the fact and generally never attain the level that the ladies can.

That and ladies are smart enough not to go striking people with their chins.:)

Daniel

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
speak on it ... :whip:
I survived a gang attack. There were 14 of them. Relentless. I had to use everything I had been taught, and some totally unorthodox stuff too, you know: triangle, triangle, square, R1, R1.. oh no.. hang on a second, that was Tekken, sorry.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I survived a gang attack. There were 14 of them. Relentless. I had to use everything I had been taught, and some totally unorthodox stuff too, you know: triangle, triangle, square, R1, R1.. oh no.. hang on a second, that was Tekken, sorry.
Ha ha ha...good one!!!:rofl:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was high-school age I was attacked by two guys one of whom had a knife. I used my MA training to survive the attack.

I knew one of the guys and knew that he was a stupid violent psycho. I also knew that the only people who would hang out with him would have to be even stupider violent psychos.

Here is what I did: As soon as the two guys walked up to me and one pulled a knife... I turn and ran to my bike and rode away as fast as I could. They chased me on their bikes for about a block. I rode on a main street and they stopped chasing me.

I exited -- exactly as my instructors had taught me.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
took a heavy beating once from more than 6 people as far as i could tell. Because of my nimbleness, they could not hurt me much even as i took countless blows and joint attacks. The next day people that witnessed the ordeal could not believe that i wasn't injured. Had to get head xrays and all, nothing. The gun in my face was pretty freaky and on my knees being told that i would die that night. I escaped but was captured again by motorcycle and held at gunpoint. Fortunately the cops arrived when they did and took us all in. This was in manila.

j

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I play Soul Calibur, so at least the multiple attackers have the good taste to go one at a time.:)

Daniel

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.

A fella' once tried to rob me at knife point. I remember being disappointed afterward and thinking, "Wow...all that training and I basically dropped him with a yellow belt technique....sigh."

Funny thing is you have all these scenarios planned out in your head (and you know you have) that when the moment calls for it you'll do all this fancy-schmancy stuff...well......I didnt'. LOL

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts training, an intrest in warfare sense I was a little kid, a " I;m not going down because of these lowlifes!" attitude and plain old dumb luck has all contributed to why I am still here with my arms, legs, brains (well kinda?) and anal virginity intact. (It was not unheard of in South Florida for gangs to beat people to a pulp and them rape them, male and female. 1 situation started with a member of Zulu 3 saying "We're gonna $#$# your $#$ Cracker.")

I have been in several fights with multiple attackers of varring degrees of danger, MA has helped so has luck but a couple of those situations were because my friends were in scraps and I jumped in to help. In almost every one of those situations I was not unscaved. Fighting hurts and causes damge.

I have been shot at, it was a Gangbanger about 50 feet away who just started shooting at us as he screamed in spanish. Ziiging, zagging and diving for cover along with it being a small caliber pistol, held by an idiot who probably never was taught how to shot helped out as noone else got hit.

I was robbed at gunpoint once, but there were 2 of them and they had distence so I gave them my wallet and said "Come on man, I know it's just buisiness, take the money and leave my wallet." He did.

An idiot tried to pull a gun on me in a club. I grabbed his gun hand as he was pulling it out and hit him in the face, at the same time my finger felt the trigger and I pulled it (Hopeing it would blow off his balls as he had it front of pants carry.) but it did not go off. he went down and I ran like Hell.

When I was 11 a buddy pointed his Dad's shotgun in my face, I snapped into a disarm my WW2 vet Step Gramps had shown me and butt stroked him in the gut. He was not out to kill me, just stupid.

Never disarmed a knife from anyone other than my little brother and a girlfriend but I have faced broken bottles and screwdrivers.

I am not going to push my kids into full on MA training but there is a certian amount of Hand to hand that I will compel them to learn because of things that I have been through. I also hope they wont run with some of the types I used to.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny thing is you have all these scenarios planned out in your head (and you know you have) that when the moment calls for it you'll do all this fancy-schmancy stuff...well......I didnt'. LOL

*short tangent*

Indeed! One person tried to load me up on his hip once (from a hug). When it was all over I realized I had just dropped my weight a little, used a pressure-point grip on the side of his neck, took the slack out of the other wrist and locked his elbow across my shoulders and dropped my hips down into a kneeling stance.

Not a formal technique, but I utilized several basic principles. It worked! The table came down underneath him!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the book, 'Leviathan' by Thomas Hobbes, he famously said:

"...the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short"

I take martial arts training, and I hope never to put it to use. I will if I must, which is why I train. But I will still consider my life a success if I am able to avoid ever having to injure or kill another human being. Even the ones who seem to so desperately be in need of killing.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes.

A fella' once tried to rob me at knife point. I remember being disappointed afterward and thinking, "Wow...all that training and I basically dropped him with a yellow belt technique....sigh."

Which technique, Crippler?

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I parked my car in a dodgy area in Philly one night. When I came back someone was trying to steal it. When I approached he pulled a gun. No kung fu, the situation was diffused via verbal skills and some street savvy.

Knives pulled on me 5 or 6 times. All but one of these was handled verbally as well. The other was handled by speed of action, I saw him move to draw the blade, and I went after him preemptively with everything I had.

Three multiple attacker situations. One of which I got a couple of shots in but was beat pretty soundly. Another I handled extremely aggressively, which ended well for me, I think it is posted here on a "multi-attacker thread".

Scariest time was in Glasgow, Scotland. A smack head pulled a needle on me... told me it was HIV positive and who knows what else, I gave him my stuff right away, not messing with that.

EDIT: yes, the situations that ended with a fight, MA training came into play and was definately a huge help, however, I am confident that if any of them were caught on film, it would look really, really sloppy. The cleanest technique I ever used on a person in real life was actually on a plane about two years ago lol, and like crippler, it was a yellow belt technique.

Last edited:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know I sitting here reading this stuff and I’m floored by what some of you have experienced. My life thankfully has been boring.

When I was 12 I had an idiot take a swipe at me with a knife after I refused to give him my money, I blocked it with a school text book. I knew the guy and he was, well slow in the head.

I haven’t been in a fight since fourth grade. Dojo and high school wrestling don’t count.

Thankfully you are all still breathing, walking and talking. I honestly hope that none of you have to experience any of these stories again.

jeorf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes. My attackers were multiple surgeries and chemotherapy. I stood my ground, I kept my focus, I did not "fight" them but I stayed in control of the confrontation. They ravaged my body. But ultimately, we worked together and sent cancer on its way. My TKD community all stood behind me.

I used to watch movies and read accounts and wonder how anyone survived intense physical insults to their bodies. Now I know. At the same time as my cancer a friend who had previously studied in our school was raped. As different as our experiences were they were the same. The strength within each of us brings us to the current blessings of our lives.

For me, that is the kind of training I want from my martial arts. It made me a better person and a better martial artist.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Before I was in MA, I took a women's self-defense course (2 hours a week for 6 weeks). About a year later, another teenager threatened me (well, my horse, actually) with a knife. I told him to step back--he had the knife near my horse's neck and said he was going to cut his throat--and he refused and moved closer. At that point, I felt like my entire insides turned to ice, and like I was viewing the scene rather than being in it. I punched him hard in the throat and knocked him down; when he got up, I did it again (I figured he was coming back at me). He crawled away, croaking at me to stop (guess I squished his throat pretty good). Then I went and found his father and told him what had happened--the father said, "That's between you and him," and did nothing about the little creep at all. What an irresponsible parent--no wonder his kid was so rotten.

I also used the awareness techniques the SD class taught to avoid a great many other problems when I lived in New Orleans. No one should live in New Orleans without SD training. Scary place.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to all for sharing your stories.

Yes. My attackers were multiple surgeries and chemotherapy. I stood my ground, I kept my focus, I did not "fight" them but I stayed in control of the confrontation. They ravaged my body. But ultimately, we worked together and sent cancer on its way. My TKD community all stood behind me.

I used to watch movies and read accounts and wonder how anyone survived intense physical insults to their bodies. Now I know. At the same time as my cancer a friend who had previously studied in our school was raped. As different as our experiences were they were the same. The strength within each of us brings us to the current blessings of our lives.

For me, that is the kind of training I want from my martial arts. It made me a better person and a better martial artist.

I have two friends and colleagues who have battled cancer since beginning training and both attribute their ability to get through it to their training.

Glad you're with us. :)

Latest Discussions