Martial Arts vs Multiple Attackers

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Semi-related question: are there any combat sports that feature team-on-team instead of individuals?

Football. And no, I'm not joking.

I feel I may have been misunderstood a bit. I was being incredibly literal in my comment that football (regardless of code, actually) is an example of a combat sport featuring team-on-team methods.

In simple terms many (it could even be argued all) sports developed out of tribal warfare and military training. Football is no different. This is a big reason why fans of one team or another get so excited (fanatical...) about their teams successes and failures, as well as any rivalries. It's a throwback to tribal warfare, where the other team is another tribe/village, and to lose is a great hardship on the community. So, the origins of football are based in combative exercises in teamwork, making it (ancestrally, at least) a form of combat sport... and it certainly focuses on team-on-team methodology.

I really wasn't being funny.

jwright11

White Belt
Reaction score
I know that the first step that every martial arts trainer want to teach their student is focus and dedication. If you love their art that means Multiple attackers never win's . martial arts is a form of discipline and if you follow these than it helpful for you in every fighting.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know that the first step that every martial arts trainer want to teach their student is focus and dedication. If you love their art that means Multiple attackers never win's . martial arts is a form of discipline and if you follow these than it helpful for you in every fighting.
Jason, welcome to MT. I take it from your profile where you list 'martial arts' as your primary art, that you don't have an actual style of martial art that you train in. (Perhaps you could go to the 'meet and greet' area and introduce yourself :) )

this thread is really about the techniques that different styles employ, different students learn or different instructors teach to deal with the situation where there are two or more attackers. Now to say multiple attackers never win is obviously far from the real truth. Against multiple attacks there is a real risk you could be severely beaten or worse. Many thugs are only brave when they have their friends about to back them up. In other instances you might have a group of guys who have a culture of violence and just pick on vulnerable individuals. In either case, if you are the lone person being attacked you have a problem and what I would like to know is what strategy would you use to deal with that situation.
:asian:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
most Okinawan Karate instructors do seem to teach multiple attackers from time to time. most kata if you look closely at them are about more then one attacker. that said any time you fight you may die! if you face multiple attackers you are in major trouble! so trust your art and go for the maximum damage possible as quickly as possible.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
most Okinawan Karate instructors do seem to teach multiple attackers from time to time. most kata if you look closely at them are about more then one attacker. that said any time you fight you may die! if you face multiple attackers you are in major trouble! so trust your art and go for the maximum damage possible as quickly as possible.
The only multiple attacker stuff I had as a Goju student was pretty tame. It really was a bit like the sparring video that someone posted earlier, because in those times we didn't have grappling in our training. Then it was, work to the outside, keep one in front of the other etc. What I have found with both Krav and Systema, is a far more explosive style, not necessarily staying with one opponent until they are down but whacking as many as possible as quickly as possible and getting the hell out of there, which is exactly what you are saying.

I have a slightly different view of kata in that I believe it is designed with just one attacker in mind. That is not to say that it doesn't accommodate an attack from behind that would allow the continuation of kata in a different direction.

jwright11

White Belt
Reaction score
Thnks K-man ,

Yes I support you Its not possible to fight with more attackers. Its really a big risk when you fight with more than more but these are training techniques use by most of trainer so that you can learn the basic. these basic help you in real time....:CTF:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only multiple attacker stuff I had as a Goju student was pretty tame. It really was a bit like the sparring video that someone posted earlier, because in those times we didn't have grappling in our training. Then it was, work to the outside, keep one in front of the other etc. What I have found with both Krav and Systema, is a far more explosive style, not necessarily staying with one opponent until they are down but whacking as many as possible as quickly as possible and getting the hell out of there, which is exactly what you are saying.
That's my experience as well. I only have one real multiple attacker story and that's how I did it. It wasn't stack the up and attack one at a time it was hit whoever is the closest as hard and fast as I can.
I have a slightly different view of kata in that I believe it is designed with just one attacker in mind. That is not to say that it doesn't accommodate an attack from behind that would allow the continuation of kata in a different direction.

Thats how i was taught kata as well it was one attacker not multiple.