has anyone here survived multiple attackers , stabbing or shooting due to your MA training

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, ALL of us. Because we are a combination of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing the ones who say "no" won't be replying to this thread for obvious reasons :D

You're gonna get a biased sample here.

Peace,
Erik

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well ... the question was a shooting or stabbing and because of martial arts training. I've been on the wrong side of a gun and a knife but was never struck with a bullet or the blade and it was before my MA training, so ....

Curious what you mean by biased sample?

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
what ! all dojo warriors ... this cant be true :toilclaw: just dont hurt those retarded homeless people on video cause its no joke.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've survived multiple attackers twice and a stabbing once... to go into the stories of each would take a while... (I have a proclivity for being a detailed writer)... but I lived thanks to the MA training I had at the time... that and just plain street smarts.

Honestly I thank my MA training for my life but I would NOT want to go through those experiences again.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well ... the question was a shooting or stabbing and because of martial arts training. I've been on the wrong side of a gun and a knife but was never struck with a bullet or the blade and it was before my MA training, so ....

By the nature of the question, people will either never have faced that situation if faced with that situaion survived. Anyone who didn't survive won't be able to tell us about it.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've survived multiple attackers twice and a stabbing once... to go into the stories of each would take a while... (I have a proclivity for being a detailed writer)... but I lived thanks to the MA training I had at the time... that and just plain street smarts.

Honestly I thank my MA training for my life but I would NOT want to go through those experiences again.

no doubt.

live long cause you only live once :supcool:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what ! all dojo warriors ... this cant be true :toilclaw: just dont hurt those retarded homeless people on video cause its no joke.

So ... what's the real purpose in your question, then, in posing a question and 22 minutes later posting this? :rolleyes:

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
it wasnt directed towards you. for a second it seemed like my post was about to be boycotted thats all no disrespect.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I have been in the unfortunate circumstance of facing multiple attackers on one ocassion. I've described it elsewhere on this board when talking about it helped to illuminate a serious discussion point. I'm not proud of it and I'd really rather it had never happened.

Having to use the physical side of my art only occured because I failed in the much more important use of intelligent observation and decision making (aka 'street smarts).

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i failed in that so many times before myself , just the other day while taking my young bambina to mickey d´s dude in the parking lot gave a dirty look and with in his look almost challenged me to give him a dirty look back - i avoided the confrontation but started immediatly checking all my surroundings , sord of like a mental mechnism went off telling me what you gonna do if this happens or if that happens - nothing happend but best believe i was on it. :wavey:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have also been shot at, but they missed. Not sure if my MA training had anything to do with me standing perfectly still as I saw the flash and heard the bang in front of and behind me at the same time where it impacted into a wood wall.

I have been stabbed and cut a coupld of times before and after my training began.

Well, if the Dojo warrior has used what he ahs learned to avoid being in a situation in the first place to avoid the physical violence is that not learning for the real streets?

I take offense to Retarded and Homeless comments. :( You disappoint me yet again.

I agree I would not go looking for those experiences again, but I did survive them, inlcuding lots of multiple attackers or crowd fights.

I have explained a few here on this site as well.

So ... what's the real purpose in your question, then, in posing a question and 22 minutes later posting this? :rolleyes:

I was wonder the same, or if he was making a comment about the Honor Student who could spell and speak coherently that was killed in Chicago for being on the wrong street at the wrong time.

Aye, I have been in the unfortunate circumstance of facing multiple attackers on one ocassion. I've described it elsewhere on this board when talking about it helped to illuminate a serious discussion point. I'm not proud of it and I'd really rather it had never happened.

Having to use the physical side of my art only occured because I failed in the much more important use of intelligent observation and decision making (aka 'street smarts).

I agree with the above as I stated, if one uses what they have learned to avoid physical confrontation then is that not self defense?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I use to work at Domino's Pizza as a store manager in LA California in my 20's, and have been robbed at gun point 7 times. 2 out of the 7 I dissarmed the gun man and held him until the police arrived. For each of those times I was once suspended and once fired for doing so. There is a policy in place to cooperate with any robber for saftey reasons. I did not understand back then but now I do.

Also been in multiple fights in high school where I had to fight off more than a one on one situation.

In all cases MA training helped. I would say it helped more with the gun man than with the high school fights. I was able to remain calm, evaluate the situation and react.

All I can tell anyone is that when you have a gun pointed at your face it is the most terrifying things that you can have happen. You have no ideal of what is about to happen. The gun man is nervious and on edge so anything can set him off and he can pull the trigger at any time. The only thing that gave me an oppertunity to act is that the gun man in each of the two cases where I was able to dissarm him got to close and touched me with the barrel of the gun. There is no way to do anything if they keep any distance what so ever. No amount of training will help if there is even a 2 foot gap between you and him (the gun).

Wow!! I just got shivers thinking about it all again. I really could have been shot and killed. Each time I think about it I get goose bumps.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wonder the same, or if he was making a comment about the Honor Student who could spell and speak coherently that was killed in Chicago for being on the wrong street at the wrong time.

It sounds to me as if he's suggesting that if one hasn't used one's MA to unleash teh d34dly against multiple attackers with weapons, one must be a paper dragon (dojo warrior), and will probably use one's skills to beat up mentally disturbed homeless people as we saw in that video from the school in Virginia.

/Barbara Billingsley in Airplane

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
speak on it ... :whip:
multiple attackers
The last time I had to deal with multiples was in elementary school and I was a white, orange or red (karate, so red was fairly low) and way underweight for my height. I pretty much either ran and dealt with them one at a time or got creative. Really no MA training to speak of that was going to help with multiple attackers at that stage.

stabbing
I had a guy pull a knife on me once. I pulled a butterfly knife, and he just stood there with an 'oh man, he has one too, now what?' look on his face. We stared at eachother for about five minutes, broke out laughing and we both walked away. No martial arts training needed.

shooting
Yes. The bullet hit a metal object in the pocket of my leather jacket. The shooter was a kid, no more than fifteen and he was so shocked that I was not bleeding that I was able to take the gun from him. I did use a disarm that had been shown to me in a karate class, so I suppose "yes" to the MA training help, though mostly it was surprise and alarm and a total freezing in action on the part of the attacker that made the difference.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds to me as if he's suggesting that if one hasn't used one's MA to unleash teh d34dly against multiple attackers with weapons, one must be a paper dragon (dojo warrior)
I will have you know that when I delivered newspapers in high school, I was THE paper dragon! Well, tiger in my case, but I will refrain from quibbling.:)

And let me tell you, a rolled up newspaper makes quite a handy improvised weapon!

Daniel

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will have you know that when I delivered newspapers in high school, I was THE paper dragon! Well, tiger in my case, but I will refrain from quibbling.:)

And let me tell you, a rolled up newspaper makes quite a handy improvised weapon!

Daniel

Did you wield it with your chin-fist? I'd pay money to see that.

Latest Discussions