Reality Kenpo Technique Clips?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any good video clips where kenpo artists are using techniques on "non-compliant" training partners. Most clips we see have very scripted attacks with little or no zealous or resistance/follow-through. If anyone has any good clips, I would love to see them.

Thanks.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to see some kenpo on attackers in FIST or spear suits being uncooperative that way they could go to town and it would certainly show a particular persons kenpo is just a regurgitation of techniques or if they can alter and adjust using the principles of kenpo and maintain the flow and movement without pause to think. This would interest me greatly.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I was anywhere near you and could get hold of a suit I would gladly do it.

CHeers

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
anyone interested and coming to Canada near Montreal, we can do this and hopefully learn from each other.

Respectfully,
Marlon

514-453-0460
514-983-7352

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon do you have a red suit or Hitech?

??
i have a black gi and a white one...if you mean padding though i have access to some good padded suits for anyone to go all out...plus i do not mind getting bruised from hard hits and training...there really, in the end, no other way to say that you train fully and properly, imho

marlon

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
??
i have a black gi and a white one...if you mean padding though i have access to some good padded suits for anyone to go all out...plus i do not mind getting bruised from hard hits and training...there really, in the end, no other way to say that you train fully and properly, imho

marlon

LOL!!! I wasn't referring to the color of your gi. A red suit is century's version of the fully padded suit and Hitech is one used in "reality" training such as Jim Wagners, I believe.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL!!! I wasn't referring to the color of your gi. A red suit is century's version of the fully padded suit and Hitech is one used in "reality" training such as Jim Wagners, I believe.

Well then...i do have access to such suits. Are you coming up so we can do some filming and beat the crap out of each other?
:)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see some kenpo on attackers in FIST or spear suits being uncooperative that way they could go to town and it would certainly show a particular persons kenpo is just a regurgitation of techniques or if they can alter and adjust using the principles of kenpo and maintain the flow and movement without pause to think. This would interest me greatly.

Cheers

Interesting idea, but I fail to see the point. Considering most sophisticated aspects of most traditional arts are NOT supposed to be about blunt force execution. The Red Man, and other versions of the padded adversary are excellent tools in short self-defense courses, that obviously bring a degree of reality to the uninitiated, and have a place with the appropriate objective.

However, as a long term training tool in an art that utilizes the weak points of the body, along with the physical manipulation of body posture through these weak areas, padding the "attacker" would not be demonstrative of the effectiveness of the applications.

It would be akin to checking the effectiveness of a bullet on a particular substance, by protecting the substance you want to test with a bullet resistant material. Pick your objective, and then counter what you're trying to find out so you do not reach the objective, makes no sense.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any good video clips where kenpo artists are using techniques on "non-compliant" training partners.
I believe they call them "fights." :) The idea of a "non-compliant training partner" would be contradictory to full on street execution in any application. How do you go "all out" on a "training partner?" Not that you couldn't, but you probably would only get one opportunity, and run short on training partners rather quickly. :)

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe they call them "fights." :) The idea of a "non-compliant training partner" would be contradictory to full on street execution in any application. How do you go "all out" on a "training partner?" Not that you couldn't, but you probably would only get one opportunity, and run short on training partners rather quickly. :)

Agreed, but I would love to see an atacke other than a slow motion punch (not even directed at person). :)

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting idea, but I fail to see the point. Considering most sophisticated aspects of most traditional arts are NOT supposed to be about blunt force execution. The Red Man, and other versions of the padded adversary are excellent tools in short self-defense courses, that obviously bring a degree of reality to the uninitiated, and have a place with the appropriate objective.

However, as a long term training tool in an art that utilizes the weak points of the body, along with the physical manipulation of body posture through these weak areas, padding the "attacker" would not be demonstrative of the effectiveness of the applications.

It would be akin to checking the effectiveness of a bullet on a particular substance, by protecting the substance you want to test with a bullet resistant material. Pick your objective, and then counter what you're trying to find out so you do not reach the objective, makes no sense.

Fair Call. I can understand that with the SL4 etc but with the motion Kenpo that many practice a lot of the strikes are blunt force and not all strikes/blocks are to vulnerable points.

I would also be interested in the mind lag created when someone behaves unexpectedly and how that mind lag translates to stopping or interrupting the flow of kenpo techniques and how long it takes for a practitioner to change their strategy and resume that flow.

Cheers
Sam :asian:

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Docs post represents what has been nagging at me all weekend about this idea, not that it is a bad idea none the less. No matter the outcome the nay sayers will still be nay sayers and the faithfull will still believe.

But again still a good idea even if only to learn something for ourselves. Marlon I'm with ya buddy we should talk and see what we can work out!! I think we are only 4-6 hours apart.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed, but I would love to see an atacke other than a slow motion punch (not even directed at person). :)

If you go look at Doc's Youtube page, he shows a number of videos where the punches are full-speed. Most of them demonstrate blocking drills, but I think there is one really good one of Mr. Bode doing Attacking mace.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Docs post represents what has been nagging at me all weekend about this idea, not that it is a bad idea none the less. No matter the outcome the nay sayers will still be nay sayers and the faithfull will still believe.

But again still a good idea even if only to learn something for ourselves. Marlon I'm with ya buddy we should talk and see what we can work out!! I think we are only 4-6 hours apart.

sounds good to me!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree wholeheartedly sir. Its all about the objective. If it is to check the effectiveness of the commercial kenpo product, it would not make sense. However, to put things in context and to discover personal issues of your own psyche in conflict, I think its great. They do the same in self-defense courses, and in many ways, you come out of those courses better prepared after the experience because of the level of reality it brings to the emotional aspect of the training..

Latest Discussions