Gas pricing

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just heard on the news that the new Fortune 500 was out and that Exxon posted a $40 BILLION PROFIT this year! Their net revenue was over 400 billion. You can't convince me that the little bit more per barrell is costing us that much at the pump when you make that much in profits.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard on the news that the new Fortune 500 was out and that Exxon posted a $40 BILLION PROFIT this year! Their net revenue was over 400 billion. You can't convince me that the little bit more per barrell is costing us that much at the pump when you make that much in profits.

Good points. Its all about the money. I'm surprised nobody is looking into price gouging, because IMO, we're being gouged bigtime!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course Congress is looking into it. They even called a meeting with Big Oil and had them hold out their wrists so they could lightly tap them again. Gas went up again after the meeting.

How Gas Prices Work
http://money.howstuffworks.com/gas-price.htm

I remember reading something about where OPEC itself prefers oil to be around 50-60 a barrel, as that's what they see as the sweet spot. Speculation and the commodities morons are who have driven the costs way up...one guy even sold at a loss so he could brag he was the one to crack the 100/ line.

Saw this, though I think the rates are from 2005.
http://fabulously40.com/article/2171/Price-of-gas-from-around-the-world/

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Typing the word NO would have saved you dozens of keystrokes, and been more honest.
To say No would've been a lie.
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't try to start fights or goad people into it. I have no need for it neither should you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading an article in the paper the other day about the gas prices, and how many people are resorting to riding bicycles to get around. Certainly a good idea and not only will it save gas, but it'll give people some good exercise.

The down side of that is bad weather, and time of day, to name a few things. I work 4pm-12am. I'm not riding a bike at that hour. Its only Apr. 23 and today its supposed to reach 80. :) I love the nice weather, but when its HHH (Hazy, Hot and humid) I'll need a shower by the time I get to my destination.

Small, fuel conservative vehicles? Yes, thats an option too, but not for everyone. Carpooling? Another good option. Public transportation? Another option, but a limited one.

In the end, nothing will happen, the oil companies will get richer, while we pay the price literally. Oh well....

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I expect to see a rush to produce the two person only smart cars that get 50+ mpg

mind you, you get passed by a big rigs and it'll blow you off the road if you are driving one, but for in town driving they are the future.

But like I said, Bush could take gasoline off the commodities market and set the price by executive order.

the only people hurt by this action would be the oil companies.

And they dont vote.

screw them

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To say No would've been a lie.
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't try to start fights or goad people into it. I have no need for it neither should you.
I asked if you cared to prove the assertion you made, you couldn't, that is neither starting a fight, nor goading, unless asking for honesty is belligerence.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked if you cared to prove the assertion you made, you couldn't, that is neither starting a fight, nor goading, unless asking for honesty is belligerence.
Well asking me to be honest is as close to accusing me of just "making stuff up" to gain attention to myself. A preposterous idea.
I could spend hours trying to google for an episode or a transcript that may not exist on line. Frankly I don't have the time for that. Nor do I feel the need to have to prove it. Least of all to you.

You're on my ignore list now.

Apologies to Mods and OP for my part in this off topic nonsense.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, I hope the nastier the pump prices get, more people decide to relocate closer to their jobs, move into city cores, and take alternative modes of transportation.

People will become more fit because they will walk/bicycle everywhere. They will be more aware of their surroundings and that of their neighbors because they feel a camaraderie with them, going through these "tough times." People will care about their city again.

However those "tough times" will simply be a transitional phase into whatever mode of propulsion we come up with that's cost-effective and consumer friendly.

One thing prevents us from doing so, thereby decreasing the demand for petroleum, and loosening the Oil Cartel's noose on the American consumer.

It's called comfort.

We like our SUVs in the suburbs and driving a few blocks to shop at a mall, where we wait in traffic to simply park our vehicle.

Then we buy what's perceived as cheaper food in the form of McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, etc not knowing it's cheaper because even though it costs more to transport, so many people buy it that they can lower the retail costs, thereby screwing the local farmer bringing quality produce/meat to local markets the masses don't even go to anymore.

Americans like comfort and we don't want to give it up.

I suggest ride a bike. Live near work. Form better communities, and throw a few tax-exempt bucks into your nearest non-profit vegetable co-op.

It sounds like a hippie thing to do. I see it as the future.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, very well written.
In my opinion, I hope the nastier the pump prices get, more people decide to relocate closer to their jobs, move into city cores, and take alternative modes of transportation.
There is something to be said about moving up rather than out, but I don't think that will be happening en masse any time soon.
People will become more fit because they will walk/bicycle everywhere. They will be more aware of their surroundings and that of their neighbors because they feel a camaraderie with them, going through these "tough times." People will care about their city again.
"tough time" tend to bind communities together. I'll agree with that. However, over time, that binding tends to lose its strength. Local communities bind together after a tornado, a hurricane, or a disaster. Those don't last long. You get something more long term, like 9/11 or Katrina, do you still feel any national unity?

However those "tough times" will simply be a transitional phase into whatever mode of propulsion we come up with that's cost-effective and consumer friendly.

One thing prevents us from doing so, thereby decreasing the demand for petroleum, and loosening the Oil Cartel's noose on the American consumer.

It's called comfort.
Thats very true.

We like our SUVs in the suburbs and driving a few blocks to shop at a mall, where we wait in traffic to simply park our vehicle.

Then we buy what's perceived as cheaper food in the form of McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, etc not knowing it's cheaper because even though it costs more to transport, so many people buy it that they can lower the retail costs, thereby screwing the local farmer bringing quality produce/meat to local markets the masses don't even go to anymore.

Americans like comfort and we don't want to give it up.
No, I don't think we will. We like the freedom of choice. I like being able to choose between some tiny, non-safe shoebox car and some honking big SUV. If I work my butt off, and can afford that gas, then I should have that right. The more expensive it becomes, the less people will do so though... For me anyways, it comes down to an issue of freedom, and not having government regulate the decisions you make.

I suggest ride a bike. Live near work. Form better communities, and throw a few tax-exempt bucks into your nearest non-profit vegetable co-op.

It sounds like a hippie thing to do. I see it as the future.
Hey man, if thats what you choose to do, more power to you! Out of curiosity, do you do that? I hear tons of politicians saying things like this, but hypocrisy tends to win the day.

I think there are alot of benefits to what you suggest. Healthier people, less cost of living, better environment. I won't debate that. If you make such a decision, please be so kind as to not condemn me for not making the same decision, and please be so kind as to not try and legislate such a decision. If I want that kind of lifestyle, I want it by CHOICE not by FORCE.

Now, will it be the future? That I can't gauge. I doubt we will ever be 100% city centric and bicycle riding, but you never know. Given time and population growth, it may become more important in future centuries to consider this more seriously...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I beleive this just say it all

To our valued customers:

The rising costs of fuel and material have forced our manufacturers to make price increases at the beginning of May. Effective Monday May 5 some of our prices will be adjusted to reflect these industry-wide increases.

Attached, please find a list of the wholesale price changes effective Monday, May 5 2008. Also, please visit our wholesale web site,
http://wholesale.awma.com/, where you can always see the most up-to-date wholesale prices.

As always, Asian World of Martial Arts will continue to provide you with the exceptional personal service you've come to expect from a family business. Thank you once again for your understanding and your continued business.

Even Martial art supplys are going though the roof.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First, very well written.

There is something to be said about moving up rather than out, but I don't think that will be happening en masse any time soon.

"tough time" tend to bind communities together. I'll agree with that. However, over time, that binding tends to lose its strength. Local communities bind together after a tornado, a hurricane, or a disaster. Those don't last long. You get something more long term, like 9/11 or Katrina, do you still feel any national unity?

Thats very true.

No, I don't think we will. We like the freedom of choice. I like being able to choose between some tiny, non-safe shoebox car and some honking big SUV. If I work my butt off, and can afford that gas, then I should have that right. The more expensive it becomes, the less people will do so though... For me anyways, it comes down to an issue of freedom, and not having government regulate the decisions you make.

Hey man, if thats what you choose to do, more power to you! Out of curiosity, do you do that? I hear tons of politicians saying things like this, but hypocrisy tends to win the day.

I think there are alot of benefits to what you suggest. Healthier people, less cost of living, better environment. I won't debate that. If you make such a decision, please be so kind as to not condemn me for not making the same decision, and please be so kind as to not try and legislate such a decision. If I want that kind of lifestyle, I want it by CHOICE not by FORCE.

Now, will it be the future? That I can't gauge. I doubt we will ever be 100% city centric and bicycle riding, but you never know. Given time and population growth, it may become more important in future centuries to consider this more seriously...

I actually work with a few groups that advocate city-centric thinking and alternative modes of transportation from a consumer point of view (weird, huh?).

I try my best to live and work as best as I can to adapt to what I perceive as the future. So yeah, I'm a little biased, and by no means would I condemn those who do not think along my strand of thought.

Americans have choice. That's one of the most beautiful things about the US. However, I wonder if that choice will ever be hampered not by government regulation, but by sheer overindulgence. I have full confidence in humanity's ability to adapt to, say, complete lack of petroleum. I would just hate to see that the transition from fossil fuel to another source as a painful thing for many Americans.

Cheers.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I heard a little of the news article about the gas companies saying that there huge profits were really in line with the type of business they are in. Ok, maybe I can except that....at some point. Here in my city we have raised the sales tax by 1 cent to raise millions of dollars to pay for a new basketball court for the coming sonics basketball team and schools projects. So over a couple of years we raised millions for just Oklahoma city sales tax. So now you take raising gas by 50 cents over 1 year for everybody!! Thats a lot of money even since the gas companies talk with congress. Is there anyway the goverment could be skimming the top for goverment programs. CIA gots to get it's money some how. I myself feel the war has had a direct / indirect cause. How can gas be stable for years and then become so unstable? I have just bought a used 1980's motorcycle. $10 to fill up, ride all week.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The car manufacturers can build an efficient, safe, reliable vehicle. They choose not to. In the 80's when I started looking for a car there was a carburator (not fuel injected) car out there that got 60 MPG. We're not happy to top 30mpg, but 30 years ago we could do 2x that. This wasn't a little paper thin rice burner rust in a weekend car. It was pretty beefy. Don't remember the name though...started with an S.

SUV Hybrids are out, doing 35-40 MPG. No need to drive the 12mpg chuggers.

Here, go get 285 MPG. Prototype? Sure, but if it was at an affordable price, I'd buy one. So what if it's a 2 seater.

Latest Discussions