Gas pricing

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If Bush wants to go out with the same popularity rating that he held a few days after 9/11 then he'd need to do something about these gas prices and quick.
Such as?
I'm not even going to think about any assistance from Cheney since he's openly admit that he doesn't care about the country at all
Another baseless accusation? Don't you get tired of making them?
But a summit I think with China that focuses on the fuel costs might be in order. China will soon face the same rising costs (if they aren't already) and will affect their economy.
Negotiating with a net importer of fuels is not going to bring prices down. Negotiations with EXPORTERS could help.
Together our two countries can (as the largest consumers) or should get the prices down per barrel. The Euros as well can join in the fight to drive the price per barrel down.
How? We cannot refuse to buy it and portions of our government will not allow us to drill for and refine our own oil, so how?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For instance, in 2004 Exxon Mobil earned more money -- $25.33 billion -- than any other company on the Fortune 500 list of largest corporations. But by another measure of profitability, gross profit margin, it ranked No. 127.
Those bastards!
Most financial institutions, such as commercial banks, are routinely more profitable than Exxon Mobil was in its third quarter. For example, Exxon Mobil's gross margin of 9.8 cents of profit for every dollar of revenue pales in comparison to Citigroup Inc.'s 15.7 cents in 2004. By percentage of total revenue, banking is consistently the most profitable industry in America, followed closely by the drug industry.
Lets have a windfall profits tax on banks!
Article
Figure1.gif

Oil Industry Taxes Have Outpaced Oil Industry Profits Since 1977
Remember, ALL costs incurred by corporations are passed on to the consumer in higher prices.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the current price is being driven by the price of crude AND the speculators on the commodities market.

The president could, by emergency order, take gasoline OFF the commodities market.

that would drop the price alot right there. But hte government taxes the crap out of gasoline, they LIKE it when the price is high

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fastest way to drop fuel prices the most precipitously is to kill the fuel tax...both state and federal. 'Course the gubmint wouldn't want to lose their profits any more than anyone else would, I guess.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just paid $4.50 for a pint of Guiness. It is all relative and the price will always go up if we are willing to pay it. :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The price of gas is directly related to the current weakness of the US Dollar. The federal reserve has jacked up inflation with the rate cuts and current economic conditions have people dumping USD like smallpox blankets. Supplies are tightening, but nothing so severe that it would cause these kinds of price hikes.

Oh, and then there is this...some people say that Oil will be trading at $180 dollars a barrel in the near future.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When gas hit $2.00/gal in 1999 (at least here in Michigan) and the price of crude doubled per bbl in just a couple years I gave up getting very emotional about gas prices. I was actually surprised prices fell below $2 for a little while, then I was surprised again years later when it feel back below $3 for a little while. It was supposed to hit $4 a couple years ago for July 4th weekend, then again last Christmas and now again for this July 4th.

I think beliefs like that help the speculators drive up futures prices. I'm hoping that the belief that this pricing bubble is about to explode and the bottom will fall out (like the tech bubble/stock market in 1999) will catch on and this will provide some market correction in the prices.

So don't spread rumors that gas will be $4 by July 4th, start spreading the truth that by July 4th there will be a huge market correction in the price of oil and it's time to short the stuff! ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MA-Caver ;

If Bush wants to go out with the same popularity rating that he held a few days after 9/11 then he'd need to do something about these gas prices and quick.
Such as?
Such as getting the taxes down on gasoline at the pumps. Talking with those exporters as you suggested would be a better idea, though I doubt they'll listen as they probably know the moral of the Golden Goose.
I'm not even going to think about any assistance from Cheney since he's openly admit that he doesn't care about the country's opinion at all
Another baseless accusation? Don't you get tired of making them?
Not really, especially when it comes from the horse's mouth. In a word... "So?"
[yt]0BeFCOUqsWA[/yt]
But a summit I think with China that focuses on the fuel costs might be in order. China will soon face the same rising costs (if they aren't already) and will affect their economy.
Negotiating with a net importer of fuels is not going to bring prices down. Negotiations with EXPORTERS could help.
We could negotiate with the Saudi's but since we've been showing that we are willing to pay already for their excessive pricing already... why would they lower them. They know we are dependent upon them and thus it is political extortion or blackmail knowing that the government will pay and pass the cost down to us the consumers. So why should they? If we won't buy it someone else will. They don't care as long as their coffers are filled they'll keep charging whatever they want.
Together our two countries can (as the largest consumers) or should get the prices down per barrel. The Euros as well can join in the fight to drive the price per barrel down.
How? We cannot refuse to buy it and portions of our government will not allow us to drill for and refine our own oil, so how?
The people of this country at least DO have the power to tell the government what to do. They need to speak up and fight for it. Dunno about China (or India). Truckers are beginning to protest by not driving and making their deliveries late. This may be a small part but I see a beginning. People will eventually get fed up with it. I know I already am.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
carver,
you are using a comment made about opinions on THE WAR and applying it to gas prices?

thats a stretch, by any definition

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not being wholly controlled by polling is bad, according to some. I guess we should elect Hillary, then we can return to a presidency that can't do a damned thing with out an opinion poll.
We do not live in a direct democracy, where every person's opinion about every subject matters. Whining will not change this. That you are complaining that the Vice President of the United States can and does think for himself is interesting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
carver,
you are using a comment made about opinions on THE WAR and applying it to gas prices?

thats a stretch, by any definition

The war is related to gas prices.

by the way there is only 1 r in caver ... at the end.
:wink1:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Truckers are beginning to protest by not driving and making their deliveries late. This may be a small part but I see a beginning.
Independent truckers are history, toast. They just don't know it yet. This is just part of big corporations (in this case, trucking / freight companies) running out small guys.

If I thought the country could make it through another 4 years, I would hope that McCain would win. That way the Dems won't have to inherit the wind. But I seriously don't think we could make it, so the Dems have to take it this time.

And they will, thanks to Cheney and Bush. They have given us two gifts that you get a LOT of mileage out of:

1) unpopular war
2) unpopular economy

You can spin all of the other talk that you want, just keep your center -- you're gonna get awfully dizzy!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the war was already there before 2001 NewGuy, it's just that the presidents before this one didn't fight back
That's because the presidents before didn't have money owed to THEM which they wanted back from Saddam for helping to finance his war against Iran which he lost anyway.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's because the presidents before didn't have money owed to THEM which they wanted back from Saddam for helping to finance his war against Iran which he lost anyway.
Care to prove that assertion?

Latest Discussions