Gas pricing

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was just about three months ago gas was an ever rising 2.25 a gallon. I pissed and moaned and pissed and moaned. Now with gas crossing the 3.50 mark here in Texas, I find myself saying good Lord please bring back the 2.25 cents a gallon gas. Funny how a few months and higher prices efeect our daily perspective on life.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gas just went to $3.69 today here in Alma, small town USA. I have to wonder why we are paying 4 billion a month to be in the middle east if gas is going to continue to sky rocket like this.
icon8.gif

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gas just went to $3.69 today here in Alma, small town USA. I have to wonder why we are paying 4 billion a month to be in the middle east if gas is going to continue to sky rocket like this.
icon8.gif

I have to agree, my van cost 72.63 to fill up today and my wife little pontiac took another 27.81 and she had a half of tank of gas. I need a horse and buggy.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yah, gas prices aren't any better here and I recall griping about $2.25 myself but now the BRIGHT side is within a few months or even weeks we'll wish for the $3.60 per gallon prices... :uhyeah: <totally sarcastic> (but not to you Terry!)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yah, gas prices aren't any better here and I recall griping about $2.25 myself but now the BRIGHT side is within a few months or even weeks we'll wish for the $3.60 per gallon prices... :uhyeah: <totally sarcastic> (but not to you Terry!)

I will agree a couple of months and we will be begging for the 3.59 a gallon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We will easily rise above $4.00 a gallon during the summer. I would advise anyone that I know to invest in energy stocks. However, think through these stocks very, very carefully.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree, my van cost 72.63 to fill up today and my wife little pontiac took another 27.81 and she had a half of tank of gas. I need a horse and buggy.

Don't worry Terry. They will find some kind of "turd disposal tax" they can attach to your horse and buggy. You won't even notice the difference :)

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We will easily rise above $4.00 a gallon during the summer. I would advise anyone that I know to invest in energy stocks. However, think through these stocks very, very carefully.

Or manufacturers of paramilitary gear. There will be a big need for that once the police state comes, due to the collapse of our society. Once gas reaches a certain critical price, the distribution of food stuffs will fail. That's when the fun starts -- martial law.

Buy ANYTHING now with US Dollars -- stocks, gold, Euros, anything -- because before long the US Dollars will be worthless -- dump them now.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree, do you have any suggestion at all Brian help a friend. :rofl:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2000 price of crude oil: $27.39 Adjusted for Inflation: $33.39
2001 price of crude oil: $23.00 Adjusted for Inflation: $27.29
2002 price of crude oil: $22.81 Adjusted for Inflation: $26.61
2003 price of crude oil: $27.69 Adjusted for Inflation: $31.62
2004 price of crude oil: $37.66 Adjusted for Inflation: $41.84
2005 price of crude oil: $50.04 Adjusted for Inflation: $53.77
2006 price of crude oil: $58.30 Adjusted for Inflation: $60.73
2007 price of crude oil: $64.20 Adjusted for Inflation: $64.92
2008 price of crude oil: $115+

So, here's my question. Since I'm starting to see people stating that we'll top $4 and maybe even hit $5 a gallon by late summer, and no fall drop back expected, what is the cause?

Oil prices have just about doubled in the last year. That's insane.

Also, gas by year, then rate and inflation adjusted rate info
http://www.fintrend.com/inflation/images/charts/Oil/Gasoline_inflation_chart.htm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
icon8.gif

I drove by 2 stations on my way to work and it was the same price you listed. Another month or so and I'm sure we'll hit $4. :(

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Alma we had two stations selling gas at $3.39. You would have thought that we had a gas ration situation as the lines were how shall we say incredible.

Folks I am a very, very positive person but tough times are coming.
icon9.gif

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I miss my 55 cent fillups on the local indian res. (1998)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going through the glove box of my work truck today as I dropped it off at the shop and found a fuel receipt from July of 2003. Diesel was $1.29 per gallon. I fueled up Friday and paid $4.40 per gallon. I run through about 60 gallons per day at work. That puts me at $1320.00 per week. I just run a local, daily 300 mile run. The guys that own their own rigs, run 4000 miles a week are catching it hard.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going through the glove box of my work truck today as I dropped it off at the shop and found a fuel receipt from July of 2003. Diesel was $1.29 per gallon. I fueled up Friday and paid $4.40 per gallon. I run through about 60 gallons per day at work. That puts me at $1320.00 per week. I just run a local, daily 300 mile run. The guys that own their own rigs, run 4000 miles a week are catching it hard.
Indeed, my older brother drives OTR in a full sized semi/trailer, at an average of 3-4 K miles a week, and he's fortunate at this time not to be an owner/operator, though he at one time considered it, but his company is doing cutbacks on drivers because of these fuel costs.
Funny how Diesel used to be cheaper than gasoline.

If Bush wants to go out with the same popularity rating that he held a few days after 9/11 then he'd need to do something about these gas prices and quick. I'm not even going to think about any assistance from Cheney since he's openly admit that he doesn't care about the country at all, the feeling from me is mutual towards him.
But a summit I think with China that focuses on the fuel costs might be in order. China will soon face the same rising costs (if they aren't already) and will affect their economy.
Together our two countries can (as the largest consumers) or should get the prices down per barrel. The Euros as well can join in the fight to drive the price per barrel down.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep smiling guys. Over £5.50 a gallon here. At two dollars to the pound...
but in my experience you have much better public transportation at least in the cities than over here....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but in my experience you have much better public transportation at least in the cities than over here....
Public transport is good in other countries for one reason: people use it. Weather by choice or by lack of options, public transportation works in other countries because the public uses it. There have been many public transportation ideas in the US that failed for the one simple reason: No one used it.

Latest Discussions