Now remember it is not our fault

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From NPR

The global average sea level rose at a rate of 1.8 millimeters per year between 1961 and 2003. That rate increased starting in 1993, with the sea level rising about 3.1 millimeters per year. The major contributors to the rising ocean is the expansion of water as the ocean absorbs heat from the atmosphere, and melt water from glaciers and ice caps.

The Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development, an international organization with 30 member countries, including the United States, recently released a report listing 10 cities that face the highest risk from flooding right now: Mumbai, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Miami, Ho Chi Minh City, Calcutta, greater New York City, Osaka-Kibe, Alexandria and New Orleans.

At risk

1) Mumbai
2) Guangzhou
3) Shanghai
4) Miami
5) Ho Chi Minh City
6) Calcutta
7) Greater New York City
8) Osaka-Kibe
9) Alexandria
10) New Orleans.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
New situations require adaptation. Plain and simple.

The possibilities the human mind can create in order to combat nature (and the progeny of the stuff we did to nature) are infinite. It just takes time and lots of money.

On another note, I saw somewhere that Al Gore lives in a mansion that leaves a carbon footprint 60% larger than the average American homeowner when it's all boiled down.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
oh man, not Guangzhou!!! the Miami of China! I hope I can go there before it it swallowed up by the sea.

At 3.1mm per year I probably have some time.

my father in law was trying to prove ... I think he was trying to prove that 'scientists don't know what they are talking about' in an effort to disprove global warming is happening.

He pointed out that 30 years ago 'scientists' where concerned with the 100 year global cooling trend they had observed. Today, they are concerned with a 100-yr global warming trend. Therefore, no such thing as global warming since 30 years ago it was cooling and now it is warming.

I pointed out that, just from a mathematical perspective, if a 100 year cooling trend reversed itself to become a 100 year warming trend in just 30 years, then then warming trend must actually be pretty steep and recent.

That's when he accused me of having been "indoctrinated". yeah I was, by mathematicians, into the cult of algebra LOL.

I have no idea if his facts are even correct they just weren't "adding up".

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool, so Al Gore's a hypocrite. That has what bearing on the reality of global warming, again?

Oh right....none.

sorry about the random fact. I thought this was about sharing.

Your quotation bears no effect on global warming either. But that's okay, because you shared.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sorry about the random fact. I thought this was about sharing.

Your quotation bears no effect on global warming either. But that's okay, because you shared.

I think perhaps the shortness of the remark was brought on by the fact that that particuar 'football' has been kicked around this yard fairly endlessly for quite a few years now. You weren't to know that of course, so no fault on your own head for that. I just wanted to show you weren't being picked on randomly for a comment you made in good faith but rather caught the backwash of many an overheated word-fight.

It seems to me that no matter what path someone publicising environmental issue takes, they're going to take a beating from those who don't want to listen.

Because Mr, Gore has wealth enough to make his voice heard quite well, those who oppose his views seize the most visible handle they can to mock the messenger in the vain hope that that will be sufficient to silence the message.

If he were to renounce his wealth, live a carbon zero lifestyle (and thus not be so effective in getting across the evidence as he sees it) then people would knock him for being a 'loony' and obviously not credible because of that.

No win is possible against those who don't want to hear and who can't formulate an argument based on reason and evidence.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On another note, I saw somewhere that Al Gore lives in a mansion that leaves a carbon footprint 60% larger than the average American homeowner when it's all boiled down.

Actually, I believe he is working to alter this. Yes, the property he purchased is large, and is not particularly "green". But like I said, he purchased it, he did not build it this way himself. However, he has been working to uptdate everything and reduce the energy use and whatnot, to drastically reduce the carbon footprint. I think in good faith, he is doing everything he can to improve the property in this way.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
he's practicing his global warming defense tecniques against a resistant opponent. Good! he will learn what is practical and what is not. Hoepfully he can then pass that on.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool, so Al Gore's a hypocrite. That has what bearing on the reality of global warming, again?

Oh right....none.

And another 50 million people have the same problems so why are they and us not being critisize to death for polluting and causing global warming. Oh yea thats right we don't count we are not famous at all.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And another 50 million people have the same problems so why are they and us not being critisize to death for polluting and causing global warming. Oh yea thats right we don't count we are not famous at all.

Please see my post, #12.

and yes, I believe the rich and famous are often the worst offenders and need to change their ways even more so than the ordinary folks.

In the case of Al Gore, from what I've seen he is doing this.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only got one word for it... dikes!

Absolutely this is one small answer.

On a positive note today I planted a tree with my son's to celebrate earth day.
icon6.gif

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's the thing, Terry. We are being criticized to death for polluting, and usually by folks like Mr. Gore who are leaving a big honkin' footprint that most of us don't have the means to match if we wanted to.

If one wants to get on a soapbox and harangue the working folks into buying, for example, expensive light bulbs for their two- or three-bedroom houses, one has to expect some of them to look askance at one's two- or three-wing home.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting numbers. Average sea level increase of 75.6mm for the 42 years period surveyed. 31mm in the last ten years (1993 to 2003). Interesting, but not surprising. This period has seen the continued high power usage but developed nations and the vast increases in power usuage in India and China.

Some of the predictions that have been made are startling. The Greenland icesheet melting producing a rise of 6m. If sea level increase stays constant that would take 2000 years, but the trend seems to indicate an acceleration in the rate of rise.

Does anyone know what sought of average sea levels would actually put the suggested cities at risk? Is it 30cm or is it 3m?

I have a friend who studies an aspect of this whole process. He is looking at planetary crust rebound after large amounts of ice have been removed and its effect on sea level change. Their conclusions are that the sea level increase is likely to not be as high as some people are claiming, but still significant. Its all about increasing amounts of water and increasing surface area. Very interesting, but way too much complex math for me.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please see my post, #12.

and yes, I believe the rich and famous are often the worst offenders and need to change their ways even more so than the ordinary folks.

In the case of Al Gore, from what I've seen he is doing this.
Not according to this article from the Sun:
The man who is now as much part of the Hollywood Establishment as he was a political player with the Democratic Party is very careful not to upset any of his celebrity friends.

He wouldn’t dream of suggesting that their lavish jet-setting and gas-guzzling lifestyles could be reined in for the good of the environment.
When we point out that David Beckham has recently been given the dubious title of having the worst carbon footprint in history – clocking up enough air miles to fly to the moon and owning 15 gas-guzzling cars, Mr Gore shifts uncomfortably in his seat.
He knows what is coming next.
When asked what he would say to the football icon – a hero to millions – about his impact on the environment, Mr Gore refuses to be drawn.
He gives a huge belly-laugh at the notion that Posh and Becks could invest in an environmentally-friendly hybrid car such as a Toyota Prius.
He careful considers his answer before saying: “I don’t think that’s my place. I don’t want to get into personally criticising anyone.”
To paraphrase: You average people need to buy expensive lightbulbs and hybrids, the rich are exempt.

Latest Discussions