Get Cheated at the Pump in New Jersey

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A shocking and angry story about how 300 service stations were found to be cheating on the gas prices. http://video.aol.com/video-detail/nj-motorists-allegedly-cheated-at-the-pump/4039190519
Changing the prices or having cheaper gas pumped in at premium pricing and various other scams were found throughout the state.
One wonders if this isn't happening in other states as well. Where I live gas prices can fluctuate daily by two or three cents and as much as ten cents a gallon. One station that I USED to frequent had a 1 day gas increase by as much as .12 cents then two or three days later it goes back down .08 cents then next day it's back up to .03 cents higher per gallon.
After seeing this story I'm beginning to wonder if the owner/managers aren't playing a pricing game themselves.
Today I put $40 in my parents car for 10.47 gallons but watching the digital readout and how the money numbers were almost a blur while the fuel numbers ticked along slowly. It's disheartening to stand there and feel like you're being robbed willingly.
Has anyone else noticed sudden changes in the prices within a 24 hour period or a couple of days, and have you noticed that somehow the math doesn't add up when watching the dollar amount vs the fuel amount being pumped isn't quite what it looks like it should?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of time that's not the individual station's fault. There was an interesting article on Exxon-Mobile franchisees' woes a few days back. The company dictates the wholesale price for gas for each station and neighborhood. Same gas. Same tanker. Same day. Five miles distance. Twenty cents difference in price. The lucky few who "own" the stations are permitted to get eight cents a gallon.

The whole industry is corrupt from OPEC to the oil companies.

Latest Discussions