Full Nelson Hold

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious here. How many of you that have been the unfortunate situation to be in this hold. Probably being naughty, but perhaps some of you peeps train this hold. I only know it from the front door, but having mistakenly believed that it banned in the UK, or not, I still don't know. Anyway, how many of you can, or think you can break it. Pretty much a pure lock up from my perspective. And again, I am merely curious :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure where it is banned. We were using it over fifty years ago and I still teach it now. As to escaping, it depends how it is applied. Most people don't apply it properly which gives you the opportunity to escape from what people think is the right technique. Applied properly there is virtually no escape. The secret is to escape before the lock is fully on or even earlier.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where it is banned. We were using it over fifty years ago and I still teach it now. As to escaping, it depends how it is applied. Most people don't apply it properly which gives you the opportunity to escape from what people think is the right technique. Applied properly there is virtually no escape. The secret is to escape before the lock is fully on or even earlier.

Yes, but not many would know that.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly K-man. As with any technique, once locked in and strength applied it is very hard to escape from. We do teach a number of maneuvers depending on the situation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post made both my other half and I smile. We are both of an age to remember Saturday afternoon wrestling on the black and white television when we were kids, nothing like todays pro wrestling other than it was 'theatrical' though we didn't know it then. The full nelson was positively the worst thing that could happen to a wrestler. Oh the agony as they groaned in pain! The wrestlers are all long gone now but 'full nelson' can still evoke those Saturday afternoons.
I had to go and look to see if I could find any of the wrestling on video and found one, it's in colour which surprised me but features Pat Roach who later went into acting, you may remember him from Indiana Jones as the big German fighting under the aircraft. You might enjoy the wrestling though :D Not sure if there's anymore videos showing the 'full nelson' though.

Last edited:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez thanks for that old clip

I have been in the hold and have applied it a couple times but that 2as back in my youth when it was very popular when playing at wrestling in the back yard

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any hold can be broken or escaped from, sometimes. ("sometimes" being the key word in that sentence) But, as has been said, don't get into it in the first place.

Here's something you might like - when they're going for the Full Nelson, just as you feel their arms shooting through under your arm pits - throw one arm over your head like an umbrella, your bicep tight against you ear, at the same time shoot your other arm across your chest and grab the back of your ribs. The hold is thwarted, despite their strength, and their arms are trapped. (obviously, you hold tight and active) From there, it's more fun for you than it is for them.

Go try it, it's nice.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rest assure this is about the last attack that will happen to you on the street. Your big brother or uncle, might get you in the living room, though, so, just shoot both arms straight down.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rest assure this is about the last attack that will happen to you on the street. Your big brother or uncle, might get you in the living room, though, so, just shoot both arms straight down.

You mean Disneyland streets right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be something the boys liked to do when I was in primary school, they'd try it on a girl who was then defended by her friends so exit one boy beaten up by girls.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how many of you can, or think you can break it.
If your opponent can force you to be on the ground and not standing on your feet, he has taken away your defense and counter. So don't let your opponent to stand on his feet is the key. The "leverage" is to make your opponent to bend backward first, you the make him to bend forward, and then take him down.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your opponent can force you to be on the ground and not standing on your feet, he has taken away your defense and counter. So don't let your opponent to stand on his feet is the key. The "leverage" is to make your opponent to bend backward first, you the make him to bend forward, and then take him down.

Er yeah, I have no issues with a full Nelson fella :)

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just curious here. How many of you that have been the unfortunate situation to be in this hold. Probably being naughty, but perhaps some of you peeps train this hold. I only know it from the front door, but having mistakenly believed that it banned in the UK, or not, I still don't know. Anyway, how many of you can, or think you can break it. Pretty much a pure lock up from my perspective. And again, I am merely curious :)

I have been a martial artist for too many years to remember. The full nelson is a dangerous move and even if you know what you're doing, you should not use that move at any time. You could seriously injure the person you do it to. I have had it done to me several times by street thugs and it has injured my spine. If you do it to others--stop it! Also do not let others do it to you. Only the smart will hear me.
Sifu

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good full nelson is a neck crank. Hence the danger. Tyrannosaurus arms arms will prevent it.

As far as escaping a good one. Not sure. You can drop out of a lazy one.

Mabye some sort of sep out?

Latest Discussions