Free standing heavy bag question

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Maybe multiple layers?
Or you might consider something like THIS. Maybe get some of THIS as well. Cut it up to match the base on the hanger, add multiple layers, and use longer mounting bolts.

Its hooked to a steel I-Beam with one of these covered with an inner tube

51aH1jBlDlL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No way of mounting in the garage. And it does not shake the house, it is just the noise vibrating through the steel I-Beam it is mounted on. I admit, because of Xuefu, I am mighty, but not even I, with my extreme Xuefu power, could break that I-beam :D
Ok, maybe the solution is to mount it from some joists instead of on the I-beam. I guess you get a metallic sounding vibration noise that carry’s through the house?

Are the joists in the basement exposed? Take a piece of 3/4 plywood to span the distance between two joists and mount it with two or three screws on each joist. Make the piece maybe two feet long on one side, and the span distance between the joists on the other. Drill a hole in the middle of the plywood and mount a heavy eyescrew in the hole, using a big fat washer on the top side. Use a heavy clip to mount the bag to the eyescrew. I think the wood joists will dampen the noise, it won’t carry through the house like the I-beam does. That’s how I did it when I was a teenager in my parents’ house. The clip and the eyescrew tend to creak a bit, but maybe it’s an improvement.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok, maybe the solution is to mount it from some joists instead of on the I-beam. I guess you get a metallic sounding vibration noise that carry’s through the house?

Are the joists in the basement exposed? Take a piece of 3/4 plywood to span the distance between two joists and mount it with two or three screws on each joist. Make the piece maybe two feet long on one side, and the span distance between the joists on the other. Drill a hole in the middle of the plywood and mount a heavy eyescrew in the hole, using a big fat washer on the top side. Use a heavy clip to mount the bag to the eyescrew. I think the wood joists will dampen the noise, it won’t carry through the house like the I-beam does. That’s how I did it when I was a teenager in my parents’ house. The clip and the eyescrew tend to creak a bit, but maybe it’s an improvement.

My previous house I had something similar mounted to the main support beams. For some reason in that hose they but four 2x8s together as the main beam and I attached something like this to it, but it was a much older version. I shall look at the basement to see what I can do, thanks

16ELSUPRSPDBGSWVLTHR_is

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My previous house I had something similar mounted to the main support beams. For some reason in that hose they but four 2x8s together as the main beam and I attached something like this to it, but it was a much older version. I shall look at the basement to see what I can do, thanks

16ELSUPRSPDBGSWVLTHR_is
Yeah, attach that device to the plywood instead of an eyescrew.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I don't think the plywood is strong enough. I use a 2X12 to span across 6 of the 2 X 12 joists on the ceiling(the floor joists of the second floor). then I mount the heavy bag on the 2X12. Still it really shaking the floor of the upstair. I thought if I spread the weight across 6 joists, it should be better, NO!!! I only use a 70lbs at the time.

One problem is when you punch and kick, the bag actually jumps, like it rise up a little, and then drop down and thereby pull the whole ceiling down a little like as if you jump on the second floor. Only thing I can think of is if you get the kind of heavy bag that actually long enough to droop on the floor, those bag won't jump. But I don't know how those feel when punching and kicking. Never try those, I just saw in some of the boxing gym.

Ha ha, buy a house that don't have living space on top of the garage!!! Problem solved!!! :))

Seriously, It's hard. Just try to hang in the area where you don't have fragile stuffs on the second floor. Or you will have to actually build a separate support beam to support the heavy bag so you don't directly pulling the ceiling. I actually put a support beam for my two heavy bag even though I don't have living space over the garage in this house. It's so good that you don't feel anything in the house, even the noise is not bad. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think the plywood is strong enough. I use a 2X12 to span across 6 of the 2 X 12 joists on the ceiling(the floor joists of the second floor). then I mount the heavy bag on the 2X12. Still it really shaking the floor of the upstair. I thought if I spread the weight across 6 joists, it should be better, NO!!! I only use a 70lbs at the time.

One problem is when you punch and kick, the bag actually jumps, like it rise up a little, and then drop down and thereby pull the whole ceiling down a little like as if you jump on the second floor. Only thing I can think of is if you get the kind of heavy bag that actually long enough to droop on the floor, those bag won't jump. But I don't know how those feel when punching and kicking. Never try those, I just saw in some of the boxing gym.

Ha ha, buy a house that don't have living space on top of the garage!!! Problem solved!!! :))

Seriously, It's hard. Just try to hang in the area where you don't have fragile stuffs on the second floor. Or you will have to actually build a separate support beam to support the heavy bag so you don't directly pulling the ceiling. I actually put a support beam for my two heavy bag even though I don't have living space over the garage in this house. It's so good that you don't feel anything in the house, even the noise is not bad. I'll take a picture tomorrow.
I mounted one as I described, 70 pound bag, and it worked well. The house did shake, but I think that is inevitable to some degree. It never damaged anything.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Already did that with an old innertube
Ancient engineering school knowledge suggests that you might be able to dampen the vibes with rubber jammed between the beam and the crossbeams. Or maybe you should hang the bag on a spring, and let the spring absorb the vibes?

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thought is that people are not suspended or anchored from the top. They have a base, more similar to a free standing bag. The one thing you don’t get on a free stander are knee and lower targets. In the FMA oblique kicks to that target range are common.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ancient engineering school knowledge suggests that you might be able to dampen the vibes with rubber jammed between the beam and the crossbeams. Or maybe you should hang the bag on a spring, and let the spring absorb the vibes?
Thought about the spring, but it already hangs a bit to low, trying to figure out a way to raise it that doesn’t involve cutting chain

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m thinking 3/4 inch plywood, with a 2x4 brace, if I go this route
You can spread the plywood farther than two joists, but I don’t know if it makes a real difference since the swivel mount will be at one spot between two. If you mount the wood to four joists, would that help? I dunno. And actually, maybe go with a full inch plywood.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its hooked to a steel I-Beam with one of these covered with an inner tube
You don't think a multi-spring mount, spanning a couple of beams, with a couple inches of rubber isolation might work better?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You don't think a multi-spring mount, spanning a couple of beams, with a couple inches of rubber isolation might work better?

No couple of beams close.. there is a central i-beam going the length of the house and then 2 going across one at one end of the house and one at the other

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you bridge between a couple of wooden beams, and then mount to that?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is what I have, I don't know whether this can work for you. In the current house, I don't even hang on the ceiling. I put the load on the side wall of the house and a horizontal beam that one side rest on a second wall and I put in a vertical beam to support the horizontal beam. The two bags are hanged on a 2X12 anchor one side directly onto the wall and the other side on the horizontal beam as shown in the pictures.
70lbs bag hanging.jpg

1) Is the vertical beam from floor to support the horizontal beam(2).
2) Horizontal beam comprises of two 4X6 bolted on the existing 2X4 on the ceiling.
3) This is the wall of the house. I did put 1/2" plywood under the sheetrock for earthquake improvement.
4) I put a cross wood board to ensure the force spread across the whole width of the 2X12 beam. You can see, the bag is NOT hanging on the ceiling at all. You can see I bolted a 2X8 onto the wall and the 2X12 is rested on the 2X8.

100lbs bag hanging.jpg

5) the 2X12 is rested on the 2X8 beam that bolted onto the wall.
6) the horizontal bean is resting on the side wall.
7) The same horizontal beam in (2).

Vertical horizontal beam.jpg

8) another view of the horizontal beam.

Horizontal beam.jpg

The other side of the beam that rest on the side wall of the garage.

Now, this is only working for me, You have to look at your garage to see what can you do. As I said before, I don't have living space above the garage, I don't know how well this work. But this is physics, it got to be better if you hang directly onto the ceiling. You can see the way I put all the weight onto the side walls and a vertical beam that are much stiffer than the floor joists. I have been using this for 15years, works great.

I don't use fancy swiffle, I just use the one comes with the bag and just hang with an "O" ring as shown. In my 30+years or hard use, never have one failed yet. Always the bag cracked or holes that I had to replace them.

This is only one possibility, I'll keep thinking.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
basically this is how mine is hooked up now, just a different bracket
41t87sTN0pL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Which makes me wonder if a newer bracket would be better..... this is the bracket I currently have

6723844c-6d15-4c6b-8c40-3f97f1931fda_1.bf3dc1d12f73c0cb7b9b479f642d722c.jpeg

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
basically this is how mine is hooked up now, just a different bracket
41t87sTN0pL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Which makes me wonder if a newer bracket would be better..... this is the bracket I currently have

6723844c-6d15-4c6b-8c40-3f97f1931fda_1.bf3dc1d12f73c0cb7b9b479f642d722c.jpeg
I don't think the bracket is the issue, the question is how do you hang your I-beam. If you fix it on the ceiling, it might not be that effective. I think the same concept like what I do, if you fix your I-beam on the side wall, that might be a lot more effective.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't think the bracket is the issue, the question is how do you hang your I-beam. If you fix it on the ceiling, it might not be that effective. I think the same concept like what I do, if you fix your I-beam on the side wall, that might be a lot more effective.
I didn’t fit it, it is part of the construction of the house, in the foundation, as are 2 others

Latest Discussions