What To Put In A Heavy Bag

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found this video where they cut open an Everlast punching bag to see what they put inside it.

Anyway, they do sell bags that are empty for you to fill yourself. The bag in the video was filled with mostly all sorts of fluff and old cloth it looked like but Im thinking if you buy an empty bag what would you fill it with? I suppose that would depend on how you want the bag to be, how hard you want it to be, how heavy you want it to be, ect.

You could fill it with sand, the bag in the video had some sand in it but not much. A bag filled with sand entirely would be quite hard and heavy. Im also thinking maybe steel shot, lead shot would be poisonous so I wouldn't fill it with that. Or you could fill it with cloth as the bag in the video was mostly filled with, if you fill it entirely with cloth it would be soft and light.

Thoughts?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We broke tons of bags over the years. It comes with large groups using the bags all the time, especially kicking. Everyone of them looked like what's shown. The ones that didn't tear - the little plastic bags of sand inside would break, and the sand would slowly make it's way to the bottom. In turn it would get packed hard from more kicking.

We bought some unfilled bags. But we never had any success stuffing them them with anything. We'd stuff them, but they were lousy, uneven, had soft spots - they just sucked.

I look forward to hearing about what works for self stuffing. Beats the heck out of me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It was recommended to me to stuff them with the rubber mulch, by someone who use to post here that I trust....I have a heavy bag full of sand that has become concrete hard so I think this summer I am going to give the mulch a try.

My old faithful heavy bag, which is over 40 years old is ripped torn and not long for this world.....they don't make heavy bags like they use to....yup...I'm old...I' allowed to say stuff like that now

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do like a wave bag for most things. The shorter ones be a little light but there is a salient solution you can buy that is about 1-1/2 times the weight of water. They can make a mess if a chain or strap breaks though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah was gonna say, there's probably enough in the heavy bag already, no room for more!
All depends on the form of the "added material", if you know what I mean... Woodchippers can come in handy to assure the proper format of "stuffing material"... Just sayin'

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All depends on the form of the "added material", if you know what I mean... Woodchippers can come in handy to assure the proper format of "stuffing material"... Just sayin'
Kinda messy though. Too much spatter. Trust me ;)

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The “better” companies stuff with cloth. Outslayer for example. The use presses to, well, press the cloth down into the bag. Without the press, there’s no way a 6 ft Thai bag could weigh 100+ lbs and be as firm as it is.

Buying them empty is great for shipping and all, but I’d never fill one myself. I’d rather pick up a bag from a big box store and drive it home or pay the shipping costs if it was within budget.

Outslayer has free shipping on all their bags. If I was going to buy a hanging heavy bag, their 6ft Thai bag is what I’d get. Definitely worth every penny. But bags are such a personal thing; one person’s too firm is another person’s too soft.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You can find a large foam pipe to put into your heavy bag. You can then find more small foam pipes to put into that larger foam pipe.
foam-pipe.jpg

small-foam-pipe.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You can find a large foam pipe to put into your heavy bag. You can then find more small foam pipes to put into that larger foam pipe.
foam-pipe.jpg

small-foam-pipe.jpg
Century uses something similar for their kids’ bags. While a great idea, I doubt they’ll last any worthwhile amount of time. The squeeze probably won’t be worth the juice.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Century uses something similar for their kids’ bags. While a great idea, I doubt they’ll last any worthwhile amount of time. The squeeze probably won’t be worth the juice.
The advantage of this design is the bag won't be heavy at the bottom and light on the top.

The more small foam pipes that you put into the big form pipe, the stronger respond the bag can be. If it's still not strong enough, you can always fill in those small foam pipes with filling material.

How to keep a heavy bag with the same density from the top to the bottom is also an issue. The foam pipes design can solve that problem. The filling mater won't all sink down to the bottom.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shredded cloth is great.
At one point I had (14) 6ft bags, (4) 4 ft bags and ( 2) 7 foot pole bags.
We filled them with cloth and packed them by standing in the bags and jumping up and down to compress the fill.
The bags weighed in from 120-130 lbs.
When a bag was split from use. I'd get a new bag and transfer the stuffing from one to the other again packing them by standing in the bag and jumping on the stuffing.

Latest Discussions