Forum question

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a question related to the forum and wasn't sure where else to put it.
Is it possible to unfollow or remove oneself from a thread so as not to get any new notifications from it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on what you mean. If you mean to not get notifications whenever there's a new post, in the top right there is an "unwatch" button you can click. See below.
1634332312329.png
However, if you mean to not get notifications when someone 'reacts' to your comment or quotes it, that could only happen to my knowledge if you have the person reacting on your ignore list. If you put the thread starter on ignore though, I believe you won't get any notifications of any threads that person starts/started, but then you'd have all their posts on ignore and it would be tougher to find those threads.

You can also turn off those notifications if you're quoted/someone reacts/etc. completely if you click on your name in the top right, then click preferences. Scroll down a bit in the preference bar and you will see this
1634332524604.png
and you can decide what you do/don't want to get alerts about.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible to unfollow or remove oneself from a thread so as not to get any new notifications from it?
I know exactly why you're asking.
Like Monkey Turned Wolf said, Unwatch the thread... and Ignore the offending party (we all know who that is).
I did just that yesterday, and already feel the warm breeze of positivity that comes from 24hrs of not seeing a certain account's posts.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Waaayyyyyy at the bottom of the forum list are various support forums.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean? I don't see any other forums listed at the bottom of preferences.
I was responding to @J. Pickard when he said he "wasn't sure where else to put this". There's two forums that caught my attention:
  1. Under "Martial Talk", there is "Ask the MT Advisory Board"
  2. Under "Martial Talk Member Services Forums", there is a "MartialTalk Site Support Forum."
The only reason I mention this is because he mentioned he wasn't sure where these types of questions can go. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was responding to @J. Pickard when he said he "wasn't sure where else to put this". There's two forums that caught my attention:
  1. Under "Martial Talk", there is "Ask the MT Advisory Board"
  2. Under "Martial Talk Member Services Forums", there is a "MartialTalk Site Support Forum."
The only reason I mention this is because he mentioned he wasn't sure where these types of questions can go. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Wish there was still an informative button. Yes, either of those locations would have been a better place for this question.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wish there was still an informative button. Yes, either of those locations would have been a better place for this question.
I have always been curious about this. Who is on the MT Advisory Board? Or is it just a drop off location for issues such as the one mentioned?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have always been curious about this. Who is on the MT Advisory Board? Or is it just a drop off location for issues such as the one mentioned?
Way back in the before times, when Bob Hubbard owned the forum, there was an actual advisory board. I'm curious if it's still around, too. Last post I saw on the topic includes only one current post:

Our current Advisory Board for 2008 consists of
- GrandMaster/Datu Tim Hartman - Filipino Martial Arts
- GrandMaster Rick Manglinong - Filipino Martial Arts
- Professor Bob White - Kenpo
- Professor Dennis Conatser - Kenpo
- Sabinum Terry Stoker - Korean Martial Arts
- Guro Rich Parsons - Filipino Martial Arts
- Kirk Lawson - Western Martial Arts
Here's what's left of the page: MartialTalk.Com Advisory Board

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Way back in the before times, when Bob Hubbard owned the forum, there was an actual advisory board. I'm curious if it's still around, too. Last post I saw on the topic includes only one current post:

Here's what's left of the page: MartialTalk.Com Advisory Board
There are to my knowledge two people currently on it (there may be others that are just inactive so I haven't seen them), and both are still on that list.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Advisors - People who provide Advise or insight.
Yes I am one.
I have not been a moderator, Senior Moderator, Assistant Admin or Admin in many years and multiple SW versions ago.
So for some of the tool questions the current staff would be and have done a great job providing information.

I also can work behind the scenes at the low levels and provide comments and insight on issues for the forum and other topics.

I usually check the lower forums first when I log in, just for that reason. To see if people are asking for help.
I have even reported a post, not to get people into trouble, yet to bring it to the staff's attention for more information.
The position is mostly another set of eyes to look out for things and provide comments.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a note, the Advisory Board was set up to be some established and credible practitioners in their respective arts to offer authoritative answers regarding those arts... it's not there to offer advice about the forum itself. Just an fyi (not for Rich, of course).

Latest Discussions