Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Administrative Notice

I have temporarily removed this thread from public viewing.

I am doing so for the following reasons:

I have been informed that by having this thread on here, that I may be personally at risk for any comments made in there.

Regarding Joe Foster:
I will be seeking clarification on his 'legal' status. I have been told that he is a convicted child molester, and that he hasn't been convicted at all. I would like to see a copy of some proof. A news clipping, the court case#, conviction information.

Regarding Kanzen Kenpo:
Is this a legitimate art? Does the -art- have anything to do with the 'Joe Foster' case?

Under U.S. Law, the disclosure of known sex offenders is legal.
Community Notification – Megan’s Law allows the States discretion to establish criteria for disclosure, but compels them to make private and personal information on registered sex offenders available to the public.

Community notification:
Assists law enforcement in investigations;
Establishes legal grounds to hold known offenders;
Deters sex offenders from committing new offenses;
Offers citizens information they can use to protect children from victimization.
See http://www.klaaskids.org/pg-legmeg.htm for information.

I will remind those on both sides of this issue the following:
This forum is under U.S. Juristiction.
It is not libel to disclose information related to this issue.
Sex offenders pose a high risk of re-offending after release from custody;

Protecting the public from sex offenders is a primary governmental interest;

The privacy interests of persons convicted of sex offenses are less important than the government’s interest in public safety;

Release of certain information about sex offenders to public agencies and the general public will assist in protecting the public safety.

More information : http://www.forsarah.com

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Regarding Kanzen Kenpo:
Is this a legitimate art? Does the -art- have anything to do with the 'Joe Foster' case?

Depends on what you mean by legitimate?
Kanzen was created by Mr. Foster after training in various other styles, most notably American Kenpo.

If you need more info just PM me.

Rob

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it to be (based on the posts here) a derivative of EPAK.

I'm more concerned with "Does the -art- have anything to do with the 'Joe Foster' case?".

Trying to be fair based on various things in a -very- hot issue.

Note: Anyone wishing to send me a scan of a news clipping, or whatnot:
Send to [email protected]
send only GIF JPG JPEG or PNG files.

PDFs, EXEs, etc will bounce back due to our anti-virus software filtering them.

Thank you to those who have already contacted me about this.
:asian:

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What originally started all this is a certain "stretch" that Mr. Foster used to do to "select" students.

This 'stretch' has nothing to do with Kanzen Kenpo and was only done my Mr. Foster and was not performed by any other than him.

So unfortunately for Kanzen Kenpo the art has to be seperated from the man who created it until the whole mess is sorted out or...the art dies.

Rob

C

Crazy Chihuahua

I'm more concerned with "Does the -art- have anything to do with the 'Joe Foster' case?".

No, not really. The art can be taught by anyone with a valid teaching license, or by those seeking to get their license by working in a franchised school.

P.S. Just wondering, since it's a Canadian case, do the American or Canadian rules apply? (I actually don't know, I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything.)

G

GouRonin

You don't need a license to teach the art if you are not using the names of techniques etc. Motion cannot be copywritten.

The news reported in the USA on Canadian cases doesn't have to follow Canadian laws. (See the bernardo case)

C

Crazy Chihuahua

Originally posted by GouRonin
You don't need a license to teach the art if you are not using the names of techniques etc. Motion cannot be copywritten.

The news reported in the USA on Canadian cases doesn't have to follow Canadina laws. (See the bernardo case)

True, but if you're claiming that it's your own, invented material, that's just dishonest and if you actually know the system and like it enough to teach it, why not use the proper names...?

And thanks for clearing that up on the law thing.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Crazy Chihuahua
True, but if you're claiming that it's your own, invented material, that's just dishonest and if you actually know the system and like it enough to teach it, why not use the proper names...?

I don't think anyone is claiming Kanzen as their own except Joe. Besides, Ed Parker invented the material.

As for teaching it, well, that's a moot point anyway since most everyone involved with the system has a license to teach it. I think it's more than fair that these guys want to help those involved finish up what they started and help them move on.

Originally posted by Crazy Chihuahua
And thanks for clearing that up on the law thing.

No worries.
:D

C

Crazy Chihuahua

As for teaching it, well, that's a moot point anyway since most everyone involved with the system has a license to teach it. I think it's more than fair that these guys want to help those involved finish up what they started and help them move on.
This is true: all current black belts now have a license. I'm not sure what "guys" you're talking about, though, we may not be on exactly the same train of thought. I was just trying to clear up the original inquiry of this thread...

G

GouRonin

KKBB said earlier that there were people who wanted to continue their Kanzen training and finish up their black. I was referring to them.

I imagine that anyone who is involved with the Kanzen group can come and finish up their work but that anyone wishing to start learning will be learning EPAK.

G

GouRonin

I believe it is a Japanese word meaning "Ultimate." I am unsure if it exactly Japanese though and it's exact meaning.

However, if it is Japanese it always struck me as rather odd as EPAK is said to be more Chinese than Japanese. Perhaps when it was being created they had a desire to be working on the Japanese influences more than anything else or just didn't know what they heck they were talking about. Your choice.

In any case, I have been told that the Kanzen refers to this style of Kenpo being the next and superior version, or "Ultimate" version of EPAK's evolution. The rumour mill has it, and I cannot confirm this because no one will admit to stating it although I have heard it numerous times, that Joe Foster claimed to have been working on this version of Kenpo with Mr. Parker together in collaboration. However, anyone I have asked is unable to substantiate it.

It is quite possible that I am wrong on these issues. If anyone else knows more please correct me.
:asian:

J

jeffkyle

The rumour mill has it, and I cannot confirm this because no one will admit to stating it although I have heard it numerous times, that Joe Foster claimed to have been working on this version of Kenpo with Mr. Parker together in collaboration. However, anyone I have asked is unable to substantiate it.

It is quite possible that I am wrong on these issues. If anyone else knows more please correct me.
:asian: [/B]

It is funny how many seemed to be doing that very thing...:shrug: IT is amazing Mr. Parker had time to develop the art as HE saw fit.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think one thing we all seem to forget is Mr. Parker made everyone feel like he or she was right and special. If you take the tailoring concept and stretch it a bit more i think it is easy to see how an individual may have felt like they were working on their own 'style'.

I must state I have never met Mr. Parker. I have not been in Kenpo for very long either, but one thing most seem to agree on is Mr. Parker made every one feel like he/she was important duing the periods they were together.

Salute

JD

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by JD_Nelson
I think one thing we all seem to forget is Mr. Parker made everyone feel like he or she was right and special. If you take the tailoring concept and stretch it a bit more i think it is easy to see how an individual may have felt like they were working on their own 'style'.

I must state I have never met Mr. Parker. I have not been in Kenpo for very long either, but one thing most seem to agree on is Mr. Parker made every one feel like he/she was important duing the periods they were together.

Salute

JD

I would have to agree with that completely! That is what i gather from what I hear about him.

B

brianhunter

That is probably why so many followed Mr. Parker, from the stories you hear about how he made people feel special or gave them all something personal. A great man how knew a lot about people as well as his art.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have removed from public view the 2 threads dealing with Joe Foster, and his Kanzen organization until such time as I can have them reviewed by my corporate legal team. The thread in the Horror Stories forum will remain up indefinitely.

I have done this at the request of Jaybacca and Gou, and not because of some anonymous lamer’s ranting.

I myself feel that the threads would hold up in a court of law due to the legal definitions of various terms, as well as our legal documents here.

I myself have said nothing slanderous, libelous or malicious. I have accurately reported on Joe Fosters published conviction as a sex offender as listed in the "London Free Press", as well as other sources. My listing of that status here is in accordance with US Law relating to the publics right to know outweighing the individuals right to privacy, especially in sex offence cases. I will remind the readers that this is a U.S. based forum, and as such, under United States jurisdiction.

In the event that Mr. Foster gets his conviction overturned, the information will be removed from here.

To serve me papers, please file them in the State of New York, County of Erie, United States of America.

Papers may be served by mail at:
Robert Hubbard
C/O SilverStar WebDesigns Inc.
P.O. Box 1372
Buffalo, NY 14220

and now, some definitions to educate those hot headed butt munches who think they can intimidate this forum and its staff. I also refer you to the first post in this thread for additional legal information.

=====
li·bel n.

A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
The act of presenting such material to the public.
The written claims presented by a plaintiff in an action at admiralty law or to an ecclesiastical court.

de·fame
tr.v. de·famed, de·fam·ing, de·fames
To damage the reputation, character, or good name of by slander or libel. See Synonyms at malign.
Archaic. To disgrace.

slan·der n.
Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

v. slan·dered, slan·der·ing, slan·ders
v. tr.
To utter a slander about. See Synonyms at malign.

ma·lign
tr.v. ma·ligned, ma·lign·ing, ma·ligns
To make evil, harmful, and often untrue statements about; speak evil of.

adj.
Evil in disposition, nature, or intent.
Evil in influence; injurious.
Having or showing malice or ill will; malevolent.
(More definitions at http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=malign )

pred·a·tor
n.
An organism that lives by preying on other organisms.
One that victimizes, plunders, or destroys, especially for one's own gain.

sex·u·al adj.
Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.

Sexual Predator Information
(c/O Florida )http://lcso.leonfl.org/sexpre.htm

Definition of Sexual Predator : http://www.unf.edu/dept/upd/def_predator.pdf
Definition of Sex Offender : http://www.unf.edu/dept/upd/def_offender.pdf

From the MartialTalk Rules : http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314
1: THIRD PARTY CONTENT.
WE ARE A DISTRIBUTOR OF CONTENT SUPPLIED BY THIRD PARTIES AND USERS OF THE BULLETIN BOARDS. ANY OPINIONS, ADVICE, STATEMENTS, SERVICES, OFFERS, OR OTHER INFORMATION OR CONTENT EXPRESSED OR MADE AVAILABLE BY THIRD PARTIES, OR ANY OTHER USER OF THE BULLETIN BOARDS, ARE THOSE OF THE RESPECTIVE AUTHOR(S) OR DISTRIBUTOR(S) AND NOT OF US.
B. THE DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY CONTAINED IN THIS SECTION APPLIES TO ANY DAMAGES OR INJURY CAUSED BY ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DELETION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS, COMMUNICATION LINE FAILURE, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, ALTERATION OF, OR USE OF RECORD, WHETHER FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTUOUS BEHAVIOR, NEGLIGENCE, OR UNDER ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION. EACH USER SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF THIRD PARTIES, SUBSCRIBERS, MEMBERS OR OTHER USERS OF THE BULLETIN BOARDS AND THAT THE RISK OF INJURY FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH EACH USER.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone wants to sue me, they should PM me for service information. I will provide it--no questions asked. I reside in the State of Indiana.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Latest Discussions