Feeding the troll

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not sure how many of you know this phrase, "don't feed the troll", but i feel like it applies here. It basically means that you shouldn't "feed", or respond to in an emotional way, to anyone who is a "troll", or someone who posts bs statements on internet forums in order to get those reactions because they find it funny. Most likely most of you know this statement, and may have suspected what I'm going to say next, making me look like a fool. However, since some of you may not, I am posting it anyway.
in this case, the troll is Zenjael (one of the most successful trolls i've ever seen), and for those who don't believe me, ill make a quick list of reasons i believe he is.
-He makes bs and contradicting statements that he either tries to explain after the fact, or just ignore, suggesting he does not know the material (martial arts) as well as he claims.
-He posts things specifically to piss people off and start arguments, with no real reason for this. An example is sharing personal stories he had no reason to share, or asking/telling people what the difference is between a fighter and martial artist, which is obviously a very touchy subject for both, whether or not they even consider it two separate categories.
-In his profile, he just checked off every single martial arts, whether or not it is one he has "claimed" to take.
-He posts "proof" that hes a martial artist through a video that may or may not involve him, but he believes may validate his claims.
-He has specifically stated, many times, he finds our responses to his posts funny.
-When people start catching on to what h's doing, he leaves long enough for people to partially forget about him, then posts similar things again.
-He acts as if he's much better than everyone else here, a clear attempt to (infuriate?instigate? not sure what's the right word, but hopefully you understand what i mean) the people on the forum into replying to his posts.
-He (attempts) to write as properly and scholarly as he can in order to get people to read his posts with the intent of taking them seriously.
-He mentions people constantly, but (unless I missed a post somewhere) does not mention them by name so anyone who may know them can check his story.
By constantly responding angrily to his posts, we are doing exactly what we want. The best way to get rid of a troll is simply to completely ignore whatever they post until they get bored and either stop trolling, or move on to another forum.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few last things-It just occurred to me that it may seem like I'm doing the same thing as far as attempting to write properly and in a scholarly manner; this is the way I normally write, and I understand I've probably made a few grammar mistakes myself. If they bother anyone, I'm sorry. Also, it's completely possible that you guys enjoy these arguments (I won't lie, at some points I enjoy reading them too), if you do, just ignore or delete this thread, or pm me, asking me to delete it/edit it to get rid of the contents of my post. If i get enough pm's about it, I will. Also, if this somehow makes the debates grow bigger, or stops them when you don't want them stopped, I'm sorry.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a lot of people actually get a kick out of dumping on that guy, and most do realize he's most likely just trolling, and probably just a teenage kid. But he really hasn't done anything other than post a lot of silly stuff and get mildly annoying. When everybody gets tired of the game, they'll stop responding. I personally don't see the problem.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same, i really find it amusing, jsut if you guys were seriously getting angry about it, wanted to make sure you knew. Guess i was cautious over nothing:cheers:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anybody takes the little troll remotely seriously.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since i clearly just sound like an idiot, and this thread is taking up unnecessary space, can someone lock/delete it?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why stop posting? I for one don't think Alex is trolling on purpose. I think he has made exaggerated claims and is too embarassed about it to take them back. I believe he wants people to find what he says valuable, but due to ignorance on the subject matter he hasn't been well recieved. I honestly think he wants to contribute something of value, he just doesn't know how and views all attempts to correct him as a personal attack.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find Alex more amusing than annoying but I will confess, Garry R did get under my skin with his ridiculous statements. It does pose a small conundrum though. Someone can pass themselves off as an expert on a forum such as this and others with less experience may well take them seriously. Is that fair? If we discredit them but they keep coming back, do you keep knocking them down? And, is Alex really a troll or a martial artist with a seriously inflated sense of his own ability? Did he think that by telling us he trained in multiple arts and is BB in many of those, we would accept him as a peer. :asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since i clearly just sound like an idiot, and this thread is taking up unnecessary space, can someone lock/delete it?

Not at all, KD. You were just showing concern - there is nothing wrong with that.

In general terms tho', the thing that it is always best to avoid is getting into personality based clashes with other posters. What tends to happen in those circumstances is that those who are offended or annoyed end up being the ones who break the rules of the forum, their emotions overriding their good sense. All too often the cause of their upset therefore scores a 'victory' off them that way.

As you say, not feeding the trolls is the best way - but sadly, we are all human and sometimes slip :D.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think he is really a troll. I think he's a young man who wants to be a martial arts super hero with an inflated view of himself, like many young men. He's looking for praise from the members, and when he gets truth it hurts his feelings and he fades away for a while. I know I made a few similiar mistakes when I was a young man, so don't get too frustrated with his post. He'll figure out that he doesn't really know everything (especially if he keeps sparring boxers) like most kids or he'll wind up being the old gas bag, subpar martial arts instructor we all know at least one of. He's not a malicious kid, just misguided right now.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He has had plenty of time and many many posts to make a turn around. There have been a lot of sparks to ignite the fire of reason within him, but his mind is on a one track mission.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that the kid has some underlying problems that he seriously needs to address before he ends up getting hurt. However, I do believe his delusions need to be exposed for the fantasies they are simply for the sake of maintaining reality. It would not do for inexperienced folks to read his drivel and imagine that it is anything near reality. If his posts are ignored, then, to anyone that doesn't already know better, we are giving our tacit agreement to their contents

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you, pgsmith. Don't let his nonsense go ignored. It is better for other martial artist without the experience do know what he is saying isn't neccesarily right and even better for him.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

On Alex/Zenjael specifically... and I'll preface this with fully admitting that I'm guilty, too! -- Dumping on him is kind of like dumping on the kid who tells wild stories about his vacation because his family is really too poor to go anywhere, and everyone knows it. My read on him is simple: he's a young, inexperienced kid. A spell in the service might do him wonders. Some real work experience might do him some good. Because, for all his talk, he's clearly very short on life experience. And when we dump on him... it just makes us look bad.

On trolls in general... How you respond depends on the nature of the troll. Ignore some, and they just blather and blather, getting more outrageous as they go. Respond and make it no fun for them -- and they go away. Others go away if they're ignored. There's no way to tell which, unfortunately, until you try one approach.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to chime in here.

If they are actually breaking the rules, report them, and let the staff deal with it.
If you 'fire back', 'retaliate', 'spew venom', or 'bitchslap' them, you'll end up running up against the TOS yourself.
So, let our staff deal with things and don't get yourself caught in the middle.

Now, "actually breaking the rules" is the key part.
Being wrong, full of yourself, misguided, and whatnot aren't against our rules.
If for example, someone pops in and claims that Jerry Lawler invented EPAK, he's obviously wrong. Correct him once, then if they keep on with the cranial-rectal inversion, put them on ignore.
If having 'accurate facts apparent' is that important (and I think it is), help us develop solid FAQ's for each section which we will be happy to 'stick' so that all can see and refer to as needed.

It sometimes takes time to see patterns emerge, and we do our best to give people time to 'fit in' here. We want MartialTalk to be an open and inviting site for all levels of interest and experience in the arts. But to do this, we need your help, patience and cooperation.

Thank you.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think anybody takes the little troll remotely seriously.

I don't know. Seems to me that a couple people take him very seriously, judging by the the responses I've seen. I won't mention names, lol. The little nobody seems to piss off a few of you.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Meh. He doesn't really bother me. I remember being his age, and I had all the social graces of a rock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions