Fear to strike,punch,kick or watever

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
With all the sorrow it is to me I want to tell you something that piss me off. Don't know why when students put on the gear and do kyorugi they punch and kick like mean it BUT when they do one steps or self defense techs thay don't want to TOUCH (hit with a reasonable force just to make sure the tech is efectiove), grab, twist,lock, sweep or what ever to his/her classmate.

I even ask the students to wear the hogu and helmet to make them confy about to perform the techs the right way, to enough force to make clear the techs can work.

I told the guys we don't need to break an arm or a rib or a nose to make clear the tech works but if we do the techs slopy or lazy or very gently when we need them on the street we can be kill by the agresor because the old saying...As you tarin you fight... as you figh you train....

I really don't get it, the students does not want to put enough in the self defense aplications, when I perfoem the techs with one of them I teach the moves with effort,timing and acuracy using the force enough to maybe just create some disconfort but never to harm.

What's going on with the people these days? I don't want to know what would be of these students if they had to learn tkd with my former sambonim (at Jido Kwan), because my ex-master always used good tech to teach and always demanded control but with force the techs.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My view on this is take of the pads and tell them if they get hit it is there fault and then tell them if they don't punch or kick with a little force and do the techniques correctly you will be demonstrating the proper way to do it on them

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My view on this is take of the pads and tell them if they get hit it is there fault and then tell them if they don't punch or kick with a little force and do the techniques correctly you will be demonstrating the proper way to do it on them
The only problem here is that if you do that the guy may never return. Even an accidental hit can do that. People train for different reasons. In the past guys would train so they could fight. Now it's possibly to train so you don't have to fight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect the problem is that they don't trust themselves to know how much power can be applied. Let them start learning the techniques with little or no power and then gradually build up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I fixed that issue within myself because i wanted to. If they don't want to. I think you are going to struggle.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always preferred to work my self defense techniques without pads and at a super slow pace to build up confidence and to get the correct technique down. Like anything else in the martial arts repetition is your friend, the more that you work it the better you're going to get at it.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some of it boils down to interest in what you are doing. If you started TKD for the sparring then you will always be more interested in sparrring than other aspects of TKD.

Some of it is boredom. If you have been doing the same one steps for months and you feel like you know them your intesity level will come down because there's nothing interesting about it.

If it's laziness, there's nothing you can do; if it's boredom try adding to the exercise to see if you can make it more interesting. Ask the students to come up with their own follow up to the prescribed technique. Introduce multiple attackers so they have to be aware of control and body position.

Just try to make it more fun.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you guys for responding. I would rather prefer not use pads or hogu at all to conduct self defense techs because I know we can use such a force in the drills that we can control de amount of force aplied, as I wrote before we don't need broken noses to delivery an efective palm strike to the face during drills or we don't have to break an arm aplying a lock during drills. Yes I can use gadgets to rise the level of the drill, once I used a woden tanto to simulate a low blow to the gut and I grab the atention of the students all wanted to use the tanto. Maybe I can use a platic wine bottle half filled to mimic a botle in the real life however I think the students don't need to practice self defense because they maybe are not going to usin g it at the streets because we live in a safe enviroment??? Well I have to motivate insome how the students.

Manny

Latest Discussions