Favourite martial art movies

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought it'd be cool to talk about martial art movies that your fans of and see who agrees. I personally right now love blood and bone Michael jai white is just amazing and I personally he's one of the best martial artist right now. I also love the undisputed movies and never back down plus the Bruce lee movies.

Honourable mention to jackie chains movie goregous, the movie itself sucks and is awful but the 2 fights with brad Allen and the training montage in between to me is some of jackie chans best pure martial arts work and to me one of the only times he's looked like a genuine fighter than a stunt man fighting

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mortal kombat. The film adaptation is a masterpiece.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Asides from the obvious favourites, I like Kingdom of Heaven because it's the first big movie to make a specific technical reference (however small) to the European fighting manuals. Posta di Falcone is in Vadi's manual. Princess Bride just name-drops rapier masters, so that doesn't count.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Forbidden Kingdom. Jet Li and Jackie Chan, what's not to love?

A history of Violence. Best practical display of martial arts.

Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Just because.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting Black Kings - Kyokushin propaganda film meets blaxploitation. It helps that Tadashi Nakamura is the founder of the system I'm currently in (Seido), Charles Martin is currently his senior-most student, and William Oliver was as well until a few years before he passed away.

The Last Samurai - I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but this is on of my favorite movies regardless of genre. No cliches, bad acting, or absurd MA stunts that plague MA movies for me.

The Last Dragon - Bruce LeRoy Green. Sho' Nuff. The glow. 'Nuff said.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Forbidden Kingdom. Jet Li and Jackie Chan, what's not to love?

A history of Violence. Best practical display of martial arts.

Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Just because.
Yeah forbidden kingdom is a good movie but I'm not a fan of the martial arts. 2 top martial arts star and they rely on wire work I mean most of jackie chan and jet lis fight was jumping through the air. Surely 2 people who've that much experience could do better than that. The only decent fight to me was the end fight with the kid and the thug. That actually used real martial arts. It's funny how the 2 actors with probably the least amount of skills in the movie had the most real looking fight

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Totally agree.
Dude if you want to follow me and disagree with my post cool no problem I can do the same too. By the way tames I got you in my ignore list so I can't read anything you say, also reported you for harassment.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we can include documentaries, my favorite is Budo.
Check it out - it makes you want to go train, like right now.

and here...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dude if you want to follow me and disagree with my post cool no problem I can do the same too. By the way tames I got you in my ignore list so I can't read anything you say, also reported you for harassment.
Get over yourself dude. I don't follow anyone around, especially you. I utilize the like/dislike function because Martialtalk has it. I like and agree with a lot of peoples posts. It just happens that I don't like some of your posts. Not sure how that is harassment. Get over yourself, please.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally like Ip-man movies (nothing to do with the internet protocol!), or movies starring Donnie Yen

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the first two transporter movies with Jason Statham and the first two Borune movies. Not sure these are pure martial arts movies or more action with martial arts movies.

I also like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Ip man movies. You might expect me to say Bruce Lee, but I am I embarrassed to say I so respect his actual martial arts teachings.. but not so much his movies (forgive me!).

It was recommended for me to watch The Raid.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the first two transporter movies with Jason Statham and the first two Borune movies. Not sure these are pure martial arts movies or more action with martial arts movies.

I also like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Ip man movies. You might expect me to say Bruce Lee, but I am I embarrassed to say I so respect his actual martial arts teachings.. but not so much his movies (forgive me!).

It was recommended for me to watch The Raid.
I have to agree with you about the Bruce Lee movies. They never appealed to me. They are really nothing like the JKD I train. I highly respect BL's fighting method. Just not a fan of his movies.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with you about the Bruce Lee movies. They never appealed to me. They are really nothing like the JKD I train. I highly respect BL's fighting method. Just not a fan of his movies.
I think it was more Kung fu he was showing in his movies not JKD because in fist of fury he was part of a Kung fu school and way of the dragon he called his style Kung fu. Also I mean I could be wrong but from I know of JKD it's very basics stuff. I don't mean that in a disrespectful but I mean it's leg kicks knees elbows eye pokes. Not stuff that looks exciting in movies. Remember he was a Chinese actor and back then all Chinese films were flying through the air cable work his stuff was more realistic Chinese movies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude if you want to follow me and disagree with my post cool no problem I can do the same too. By the way tames my ignore list I got you in so I can't read anything you say, also reported you for harassment.

Ah, you too eh? Mm, been there done it, got the t shirt.