Why is martial arts movies less popular today?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've never seen any of those movies. But did things happen in those movies that people initially believed to be real, only to be disproven by something that became popular later? Or did people know that it was unrealistic from the start?
You’ve never seen them yet you reference them and claim MMA was thier downfall……alrighty then

yet MMA is here and folks still enjoy Shaw brother movies….. huh :confused:

note: there have been several MMA based movies, some did better than others, some not so good and they are not all that popular either, And I don’t believe any did as well as the first Donnie Yen In Man movie

i don’t believe your hypothesis is correct

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You’ve never seen them yet you reference them and claim MMA was thier downfall……alrighty then

yet MMA is here and folks still enjoy Shaw brother movies….. huh :confused:

note: there have been several MMA based movies, some did better than others, some not so good and they are not all that popular either, And I don’t believe any did as well as the first Donnie Yen In Man movie

i don’t believe your hypothesis is correct
It's one thing if a movie is presented as fantasy or sci-fi. Suspension of disbelief is easy in that case.

If a movie is presented as realistic, and then you find out later on that it was BS, you're not going to look at it the same.

Look at professional wrestling. People thought it was real back in the 80's and 90's. And then the general public learned that it wasn't. Now, professional wrestling is not as popular as it was back then, and it never will be again.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No. We didn't.
People were suspicious, but they didn't have the confirmation that it was fake until the 90's. Randy Savage even had problems with his in-laws (Miss Elizabeth's family), because they legitimately thought that he was failing to protect her when she was getting hurt (kayfabe) ringside.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People were suspicious, but they didn't have the confirmation that it was fake until the 90's. Randy Savage even had problems with his in-laws (Miss Elizabeth's family), because they legitimately thought that he was failing to protect her when she was getting hurt (kayfabe) ringside.
Gullible fools existed then, as now, but there were (and are) a minority. I'm guessing this, like the MA movies you claimed people thought were realistic, is also something you didn't experience. Would that be correct?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gullible fools existed then, as now, but there were (and are) a minority. I'm guessing this, like the MA movies you claimed people thought were realistic, is also something you didn't experience. Would that be correct?
First, I don't understand your question. That I didn't experience? I didn't see the Fast & Furious movies. Is there a slippery slope to be made from that?

As far as gullible people that existed then as now, not quite.

In the events following WrestleMania 1, Paul Orndorff turned face after being attacked by Roddy Piper and Bob Orton for getting pinned by Hogan. After becoming a fan favorite, he later turned on Hogan. He later received multiple death threats in the mail because of this.

Jimmy Garvin (face) wanted a title shot against Ric Flair (heel). Flair agreed to it, under the condition that if he won, that he gets one night with Precious (Jimmy Garvin's wife). During the match, when it became clear that Ric Flair was going to win the match an enraged fan who was concerned for Precious entered the ring to attack Flair. Fans storming the ring, while not a common occurrence, did happen back then. It's not a thing now.

And last but not least, the very reason why the industry had to admit it was fake. Someone actually tried to sue the WWF for fixing matches. At that point, they were forced to admit to being fictional entertainment and not subject to laws against fixing matches.

Things you don't see today.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But at the same time, you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that what's considered masculine in another culture would be perceived as feminine here.
Back in 1991, we went down to Mexico for the Eclipse. We stayed for a few days with a young guy in La Paz, straight guy, college student. When it was time to head back, we took a group shot, and decided to act all macho for one shot. So he pulled out his shirt-tail, raised it up, and tied it into a knot, to be muy macho. We told him that, er, it wasn't very macho where we came from. (In one sense.) Like this:

dda519bf568722c8a4170ccf27eb4df1.jpg

Embarrassed, he buttoned up his shirt again, and we all folded our arms or something.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I need to make an edit on storming the wrestling ring: it happens, but they're doing something stupid just to be doing it. They're not trying save their favorite wrestlers from harm or defeat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's one thing if a movie is presented as fantasy or sci-fi. Suspension of disbelief is easy in that case.

If a movie is presented as realistic, and then you find out later on that it was BS, you're not going to look at it the same.

Look at professional wrestling. People thought it was real back in the 80's and 90's. And then the general public learned that it wasn't. Now, professional wrestling is not as popular as it was back then, and it never will be again.
My father and I watched wrestling back in the 70s, and we knew it was fake then. And wrestling now, as fake as it is, is all over tv now, so I don’t know where you get your info, but it does not match with what I saw or what is ar today

MMA has had no effect on MA movies at all

TheTraveleress

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, well what about Kung Fu Panda? ...Seriously though maybe characters like the power rangers are part of the problem. Martial arts training is seen as just kids stuff, an entertaining childhood hobby. It could be a lot of how commercial business requires the training to move at a pace that cheapens the experience. I know a lot of people who drop their kids into a martial arts class like it is some part-time hobby. Programs that reward part-time efforts, I assume as an effort to cover the overhead of a studio, contribute to this... To this generation something serious like true training, something requiring hard work, sacrifice, and personal growth with out immediate rewards is a hard sell. My own kids included! I cant tell you how many pass through our studio and leave before green (6th gup). When I was a kid there were 10+ kids ahead of me that did make it all the way to black . . . here in a tiny little town people have to drive to from other towns. As an adult, I have seen 3 in the last 8 years and 2 of those came from families that already had black belts and the other had the kind of parents who would not allow him to quit. While I do agree for the movie reason that the change in the "manly" stereotype plays a large role... I also agree that there are just not enough serious martial artists to fill the roles if they were their to play.

Also, for the macho argument... all woke culture, male and female are an sociocultural issue. The manly man view regardless of muscles and a guns or martial arts or army gear has always been about being able to handle a life threatening situation while looking cool, calm and in control of the situation. The gear and paint and other accessories were not what these men "heroes". It was that they could fill the current generations visual idea of "tough" and still be men of "honor" or "duty" etc. The woke culture has no definition of honor or duty that has any strength. It care bears without the sound moral values that give them any more value that a bag of soggy old marshmallows.

TheTraveleress

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, well what about Kung Fu Panda? ...Seriously though maybe characters like the power rangers are part of the problem. Martial arts training is seen as just kids stuff, an entertaining childhood hobby. It could be a lot of how commercial business requires the training to move at a pace that cheapens the experience. I know a lot of people who drop their kids into a martial arts class like it is some part-time hobby. Programs that reward part-time efforts, I assume as an effort to cover the overhead of a studio, contribute to this... To this generation something serious like true training, something requiring hard work, sacrifice, and personal growth with out immediate rewards is a hard sell. My own kids included! I cant tell you how many pass through our studio and leave before green (6th gup). When I was a kid there were 10+ kids ahead of me that did make it all the way to black . . . here in a tiny little town people have to drive to from other towns. As an adult, I have seen 3 in the last 8 years and 2 of those came from families that already had black belts and the other had the kind of parents who would not allow him to quit. While I do agree for the movie reason that the change in the "manly" stereotype plays a large role... I also agree that there are just not enough serious martial artists to fill the roles if they were their to play.

Also, for the macho argument... all woke culture, male and female are an sociocultural issue. The manly man view regardless of muscles and a guns or martial arts or army gear has always been about being able to handle a life threatening situation while looking cool, calm and in control of the situation. The gear and paint and other accessories were not what these men "heroes". It was that they could fill the current generations visual idea of "tough" and still be men of "honor" or "duty" etc. The woke culture has no definition of honor or duty that has any strength. It care bears without the sound moral values that give them any more value that a bag of soggy old marshmallows.
Also, for the record, those persons who ascribe to this culture dont usually make it past white belt if they do walk in the door... and never past the second belt...

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, for the record, those persons who ascribe to this culture dont usually make it past white belt if they do walk in the door... and never past the second belt...
Never seen Kung-Fu panda but it is now on my list of must-watch movies. The Last Airbender is another one which has recently been added. Children run the martial arts industry. A lot start young and most instructors I speak with could not run their practice sessions, or school without the children - one instructor even offers and organizes Karate-Parties for their birthdays :)

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Modern Martial arts actually works against the mucho man culture in that it deters mucho men by beating them up. Normally by some skinny acai eating soy boy.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Turn off your tv.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just going to throw this in

I think back in the day the onky place place that people could see martial arts was the movies.

Now with all of the martial arts competition K1, UFC, Bellator etc. People have access to martial arts and maybe expect a little more realism or at least something different in movies.

The styles in John wick, Bounre identity, extraction. Are still martial arts but more gritty.

Also the martial arts in the mainstream thanks to the sport side of thing has done much to dissolve the mysticism of the arts. People maybe are less interested in stories of going to train on a mountain top for 20 years and learning the secrets of the 5 Buddha fist.

That being said... Cobra kai had a big following

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also, for the macho argument... all woke culture, male and female are an sociocultural issue. [...] The woke culture has no definition of honor or duty that has any strength. It care bears without the sound moral values that give them any more value that a bag of soggy old marshmallows.
I think you don't know what "woke" means.

Latest Discussions