Why is martial arts movies less popular today?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There’s more science and research behind my response. Yours is a gut response.

Wait…what…you’re using science a logic in an Internet forum discussion…..WHAT ARE YOU THINKING MAN!?

You must realize how dangerously close you are to a bunny with a pancake on its head :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
1686973542397.jpeg

Consider this a warning..this is a bunny with a waffle on its head…but keep up this logic and science thing and pancake bunny will appear :D

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The UFC is a platform for MIXED martial arts. MMA is a sport that combines various MA, though the mix is different for each gym the most common ones are Muy Thai, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Wrestling and Boxing. It is this combination of arts and the rigorous training that make it effective. So, it is made up of a combination of the MA that you say are fake. If we follow your logic, does that make MMA fake???
Even though MMA is mixed of all different MA, it only choose the stuffs that work. Let's be honest, MMA mostly taken from Boxing, Muy Thai, wrestling, BJJ and some TKD kicks. Other than TKD where kicks are a little more show-offy, all the others are straight forward and not good looking for movie. I think if not for more rules, TKD kicks might not even be used as much, they will stay with the more practical MuyThai kicking.

Believe me, I am not happy because my training was Bruce Lee days boxing hands with TKD kicks. I have to say Muy Thai kicks are more practical and less prone to injuries. Even TKD kicks are too fancy with high knees, pivot and high kicks for it's own good.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Even though MMA is mixed of all different MA, it only choose the stuffs that work. Let's be honest, MMA mostly taken from Boxing, Muy Thai, wrestling, BJJ and some TKD kicks. Other than TKD where kicks are a little more show-offy, all the others are straight forward and not good looking for movie. I think if not for more rules, TKD kicks might not even be used as much, they will stay with the more practical MuyThai kicking.

Believe me, I am not happy because my training was Bruce Lee days boxing hands with TKD kicks. I have to say Muy Thai kicks are more practical and less prone to injuries. Even TKD kicks are too fancy with high knees, pivot and high kicks for it's own good.
MMA is a name for a sport. Mixing up different techniques from various styles has been happening forever. It is not new.

Movies and TV have a massive influence on the majority of people. You only need track when certain styles become popular and see what was being broadcast on TV or movie screens at the time.

Why are martial arts movies less popular these days?

Most of my martial arts buddies are still fascinated by the kung-fu flicks. Loads of them are into the action films like John Wick. Many TV action-shows nowadays have similar kinds of martial arts choreography. It could be argued that what used to be unique, has now become commonplace.

Is it an actual fact that martial arts movies are less popular in this day and age?

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There’s more science and research behind my response. Yours is a gut response.
So you read peer-reviewed journal articles to come up with your response? Do you have to do the same thing before saying that dogs have four legs?

I'm just stating what's readily observable.

I personally don't care if a man exhibits feminine behavior or whatever, I'm not going to look down on him for it. But at the same time, you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that what's considered masculine in another culture would be perceived as feminine here. In the page or two of discussing this, if that existed, someone would have named the culture or country by now.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA is a name for a sport. Mixing up different techniques from various styles has been happening forever. It is not new.

Movies and TV have a massive influence on the majority of people. You only need track when certain styles become popular and see what was being broadcast on TV or movie screens at the time.

Why are martial arts movies less popular these days?

Most of my martial arts buddies are still fascinated by the kung-fu flicks. Loads of them are into the action films like John Wick. Many TV action-shows nowadays have similar kinds of martial arts choreography. It could be argued that what used to be unique, has now become commonplace.

Is it an actual fact that martial arts movies are less popular in this day and age?
You make a good point. Look at movies prior to the heyday of martial arts movies. Most of the fight choreography was crap. Some at least got the scrappy kind of fighting right (I remember some decent choreography in some westerns), but most of the fighting seen was weak. That started to change (not necessarily being more realistic, just more interesting to look at) as MA entered the movies. And after a generation grew up on that choreo, other movies had to pick up their game to keep us watching. And now the choreo in action movies is generally at a very high level, and much of it looks like an update of MA movies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you read peer-reviewed journal articles to come up with your response? Do you have to do the same thing before saying that dogs have four legs?

I'm just stating what's readily observable.

I personally don't care if a man exhibits feminine behavior or whatever, I'm not going to look down on him for it. But at the same time, you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that what's considered masculine in another culture would be perceived as feminine here. In the page or two of discussing this, if that existed, someone would have named the culture or country by now.
My background is actually in psychology. So, yes, I've read a few peer-reviewed journals in my days. I still do, because that's how you get beyond confirmation bias and other observation issues. "Readily observable" is pretty subjective. Give me almost any easily disprovable claim, and I can show you examples of that claim looking true, if I only look for evidence supporting it.

For instance, here's a picture of some 3-legged dogs. Readily observable.

1687004445883.jpeg

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My background is actually in psychology. So, yes, I've read a few peer-reviewed journals in my days. I still do, because that's how you get beyond confirmation bias and other observation issues.
Yeah, but you were talking sociology, not psychology.

"Readily observable" is pretty subjective. Give me almost any easily disprovable claim, and I can show you examples of that claim looking true, if I only look for evidence supporting it.

View attachment 29869
What you just said here is what this meme was meant for:

Attachments

• DpQ9YJl.jpg
    DpQ9YJl.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After watching UFC eating all the MA for breakfast, people know it's all FAKE.

Even though MMA is mixed of all different MA, it only choose the stuffs that work
So MA is not "all fake", there's stuff "that works"? Seems like you're contradicting yourself here. Which is it?

The answer here is of course, some (T)MA works. This should be qualified by saying some TMA works within the rule set of the UFC and MMA in general. There are TMA techniques that work in street that don't work in the UFC such as strikes to the eyes, throat, joints and groin.

No judgements on any art here, just putting your comments in the correct perspective.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA killed the suspension of disbelief necessary to enjoy the fight scenes in martial arts movies.
Nonsense. If that were true, then the Fast movies, which completely ignore the laws of physics, would be even less enjoyable than they are.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nonsense. If that were true, then the Fast movies, which completely ignore the laws of physics, would be even less enjoyable than they are.
I've never seen any of those movies. But did things happen in those movies that people initially believed to be real, only to be disproven by something that became popular later? Or did people know that it was unrealistic from the start?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
My background is actually in psychology. So, yes, I've read a few peer-reviewed journals in my days. I still do, because that's how you get beyond confirmation bias and other observation issues. "Readily observable" is pretty subjective. Give me almost any easily disprovable claim, and I can show you examples of that claim looking true, if I only look for evidence supporting it.

View attachment 29869
Well played, sir!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished watching extraction 2 on Netflix.

I think the genre has changed a bit from the stylised martial arts to the more integrated gun style of tactical nerdary

I did notice one of the modern staples of ma flies who's name I don't know. The giga chad looking dude.

Edit.
daniel bernhardt Who has been in every martial arts flick ever apparently.

Anyway. Part of this whole integrate fighting to guns alpha male stuff that exites people.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen any of those movies. But did things happen in those movies that people initially believed to be real, only to be disproven by something that became popular later? Or did people know that it was unrealistic from the start?
People knew the Wire-Fu stuff in movies was unrealistic from the start. Except for those with the same mindset as the Fast who think that nonsense is realistic.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Movies, Martial Arts, two of my all-time favorite subjects!

I think they're less popular because of the crazy amount of content that's available to the general public today. For most people, you can watch a movie any time of the day or night, and have the choice of many movies to pick from.

Latest Discussions