Favorite combination?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's like a controlled poke to the eyes. Groin kicks are a self defense technique that have no place in sparring. And no, doing those techniques in sparring does not make you more macho. It just indicates you haven't a clue what good sparring is about.

I know sparring is training to FIGHT

not win some pretty medals

i train to FIGHT

i have no idea what you train to do. And the more you post, the less i care.

5 mile runs on BB tests
black is evil and I dont trust people that wear black
groin kicks are too dangerous.

free advice young man, dont come to texas, you wouldnt like the TKD down here

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't run 5 miles if the forest is on fire.

But to each his own. I am just surprised, since everything is bigger in Texas, that you can even control a kick to the groin....I figured it would interfere at the ankle

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What's your favorite combo for sparring?

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends who I'm sparring, I tend to start off with round, round kicks ... but you have to adjust your technique to your opponent.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Twin Fist,

It's not that groin kicks are too dangerous. It's that there is a much greater chance of hurting the guy with a groin kick. It doesn't take much, and I'm not a big fan of using sparring as an excuse to hurt my partner. If I hurt him, he won't be my partner for long. That's not why we do it. Sparring is not self defense. If you are practicing self defense techniques, then groin kicks are entirely appropriate.

I'd hate to visit your school. Safety does not seem to be a big concern with you.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the way i see it if Twinfist's school uses controled groin strikes -thats the way they do things. when i started in 1980 some tournaments used groin strikes. Heck in the early 90's I competed at a tourn allowing groin kicks. I remember thinking I won't kick there if you won't. .....fortunatley none of the opponets I spareed that day used any.....shew, however in some of the other matches I witnessed folks getting hit in the coco puffs' :btg:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't run 5 miles if the forest is on fire.

But to each his own. I am just surprised, since everything is bigger in Texas, that you can even control a kick to the groin....I figured it would interfere at the ankle

Granfire,

Do you control a side kick in sparring so you can just touch the ribs? Or a roundhouse so you just touch the face? That's the same with stiking for the groin or knee.

Sure I would not advocate it for newbie students, but higher up ones I would expect control and if no-contact or light-contact rules were given during sparring, I'm sure it would be about as safe as most sparring is.

One should be able to make a sidekick touch or break ribs at will. That's control.

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well I have scored a bulls eye on a low spot. And no matter how hard I work, having 2 bodies in motion mistakes happen. Since I don't have the appropriate jewels to hit (and ran square into a rib busting side kick not once, nor twice but 3 times) rendering a fellow useless for the ladies is not my idea of a fun evening in the dojang. Not to mention the back lash should it happen to particular cute male students.... and I am talking about the middle aged peanut gallery! ;) Yes... many reasons to avoid it.

Many things considered....a kick to the groin may or may not incapacitate a guy...blowing out a knee (in SD scenario) is much more effective! Or busting a nose.... you can't breath or see you can't attack.

And since I am planning not to use my knowledge in ernest....no kicks to the groin. I am doing this for fun, and I don't want to bust up my training partners!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was in TKD my favorite combinations where:

Front kick into a round house ( Low- High) followed by a punch

Crescent kick over the shoulder ( outside to inside) into a roundhouse to the mid section

kabute

White Belt
Reaction score
It depends:

For self-defense: Palkup Dollio Chigui (nose) + Dubon Chirugui (stomach) + Bandal Chagui (knee)

For sparring: Bandal Chagui (momtong heigth) + Bandal Chagui (olgul heigth) + Mondolio Nako Chagui (using the turn of the hip from the first bandal)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Twin Fist,

It's not that groin kicks are too dangerous. It's that there is a much greater chance of hurting the guy with a groin kick.

I'd hate to visit your school. Safety does not seem to be a big concern with you.

it's called "control"

a 5th should know of it

and trust me, you are more than invited to come to my school and spar, but no crying afterward, ok?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it's called "control"

a 5th should know of it

and trust me, you are more than invited to come to my school and spar, but no crying afterward, ok?

A 5th also knows the difference between sparring and self defense. Groin kicking is what you do to cover up the fact that you don't know good sparring. Because if you did, you wouldn't need to.

Don't worry about crying. Hasn't been a problem.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A 5th also knows the difference between sparring and self defense. Groin kicking is what you do to cover up the fact that you don't know good sparring. Because if you did, you wouldn't need to.

Don't worry about crying. Hasn't been a problem.

I dont know, you are crying pretty loud here....................

Seriously, I am getting a bit tired of your childish insults.

You practice your way, i will practice mine. You keep telling yourself you are tough, i dont care how delusional you are. You dont effect me, heck, you dont even exist in my world as anything beyond words on a screen, and your 5th dan from the KKW?

couldnt care less about it. Doesnt impress me, and doesnt mean anything to me.

My TKD comes from Jhoon Rhee. You may have heard of him, but i wouldnt be shocked if you hadnt. he was the FIRST TKD master to come to america.

Better yet, you go tell Allen Steen or Pat Burleson that groin kicks means they dont know "real sparring"

lemme know when you wake up afterwards...................

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Twin Fist,

Where do you get that I'm insulting you? Because I disagree with your training ideology? Where do you get that I'm crying? Again, because I disagree with your training ideology? I never said I thought I was tough. Point out to me anywhere I said I was tough. If being tough means that I accept being kicked in the groin as part of sparring, then no I'm not. Only a fool does that willingly.

As far as Jhoon Rhee, of course I know who he is. The fact that I'm Kukkiwon certified does not mean I'm unfamiliar with non-Kukkiwon instructors. I respect tremendously what he did. He came to America to teach an art nobody had ever heard of.

Unlike you, I respect organizations even if I'm not part of them. You don't belong to the Kukkiwon. Fine. Don't belittle an organization millions of people do belong to. It just makes you look like a jerk. It doesn't bother us.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my all time fav's is opening with a head high twist kick followed by back leg round kick.

or

front leg round kick followed by spinning twist kick

or

front leg stomp kick followed by back leg twist kick

I know I am my fathers son. This twist kick is one of his all time fav's. Although he still has a damn good side kick that I wouldn't want to be a recieptient to.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine is really simple, but then, I like simple....

I like to start off by throwing several spin hookkicks at different times and intervals, just to get the opponent used to the style of my attack.

After throwing about 3 or 4 of them, and/or after I feel that they're used to seeing how my body pivots for the attack, I'll act like I'm going to use the spin by shifting my wieght to my back leg while pivoting to a 45 degree angle from where I was standing as if I'm about to spin. Instead of following through with the spin, though, I lean back on my back leg and side kick to either the midsection or face, as it should be unprotected, ready for the hookkick to come from either the right or left side.

It's a lot harder to describe than it is to actually do the move. It's technically not even a combo, but you could certainly follow it up with virtually any move after that. It's easy enough that I haven't missed with it yet, and I've used it for a while.