Favorite combination?

tkd75

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What's your favorite combo for sparring?

The first one I was taught (as an adult student, anyway) was backfist - rv punch - roundhouse. Thanks Kwanjang!

I also very frequently use a bk leg roundhouse into a frnt leg spinning hook. Hehe.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My cant miss combo- I call it that because if you throw it, and do it with the intent to hit someone, one of the shots will land, if not all three.

from your fighting stance, do a front leg roundhouse kick to the groin. if you are not in range, let the kick DRAG you into range.

BEFORE the kick sets down, throw a leading hand backfist to the closest temple, then reverse punch to the ribs.

one or more of these shots will land if you throw it right

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My cant miss combo- I call it that because if you throw it, and do it with the intent to hit someone, one of the shots will land, if not all three.

from your fighting stance, do a front leg roundhouse kick to the groin. if you are not in range, let the kick DRAG you into range.

BEFORE the kick sets down, throw a leading hand backfist to the closest temple, then reverse punch to the ribs.

one or more of these shots will land if you throw it right

ROFLMAO!

Can we keep that in like legal target range?

haven't sparred in a long time....

front leg front/round, back leg spin side...then whatever is needed - I admit to trying to stay out of punching range...having also to add that I never throw prettier punches to the head than when we practice tournament rules where they are off limits....

A skipping kick can close the distance rather nicely...

I also like to do a leg check (back leg round to front leg thigh) or a twist kick - for when a round would get the back though it is blocked like a front, most people have a problem intercepting it...

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have several favorites (although Miyamoto Musashi felt you should not have favorites.)

Offensive:
Strait lead followed with either a reverse punch/cross to the solar plexus and uppercut or a spinning backfist to the jaw reverse punch/cross to solar plexus.

Skipping side kick to the middle followed by either a spinning heal to the head or a stepthrough side kick to the head (depending on what is open to attack.)

Fake snap kick followed by either punch to face or back kick (depending on the range) and then more punchs or kicks if he guy hasn't dropped.

Defensive:
Side step with front leg and simultaneous palm to the nose, followed by a reverse punch/cross to the jaw or ribs and another punch to the ribs or solar plexus. This can be also done with the rear leg side steping to the other side.

High block and simultaneous shovel followed by bolo punch to the solar plexus and then reverse punch/cross to the jaw.

Low block and simultaneous hammer fist to the top of the head, followed by backfist to the jaw and then punch to the solar plexus.

Middle block and side steping while simultaneously hooking to the jaw. Follow through with reverse punch/cross and shovel to the solar plexus.

These are examples of 'One Timing'.

I have others I practice very often, but these click real well with me.

Deaf

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably frt leg roundhouse (head), then bk leg spin back kick (chest), then bk leg spin hook (head), because of the misdirection, they dont see it coming.

Or old trusty, bk leg arc kick, bk fist!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You do groin kicks for sparring? That's a little dangerous don't you think? I can see it for self defense, but not sparring.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One I use alot is a crescent kick into a spinning back kick. Another that I like is a high block with my left hand while at the same time reverse punching with my right.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have many favorite combos. My personal fav. is backfist to the temple, reverse punch to the stomach,"quickly" followed by a roundhouse to the head. (if you do right-they never see the head kick comming) Having said that, I trust highly trained and skilled martial artist's combos flow out naturally, with out really having to think about it. Just concern yourself with striking the target relentlessly.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"You do groin kicks for sparring? That's a little dangerous don't you think? I can see it for self defense, but not sparring."

Fist of all, we do use controll, that being said, we tend to do things rough in texas.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"You do groin kicks for sparring? That's a little dangerous don't you think? I can see it for self defense, but not sparring."

Fist of all, we do use controll, that being said, we tend to do things rough in texas.

That's like a controlled poke to the eyes. Groin kicks are a self defense technique that have no place in sparring. And no, doing those techniques in sparring does not make you more macho. It just indicates you haven't a clue what good sparring is about.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL

you funny.

let me guess, you dont use kicks to the groin in your sparring cuz it is "too deadly" right?

seriously, you are funny.

I am sure you are kidding

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Guys, I've been to shotokan schools that did allow groin kicks. They exepected you to wear a cup and control the power.

Not saying it was fun, but some schools do kick for your jewels.

Deaf

Latest Discussions