Extremes of temperature when Training

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Further to the topic of summer uniforms, what extremes of temperature does your Dojo have. Ours varies from around 4 degrees Celcius in winter , that was the coldest I can recall, to frequent days around 45 degrees in summer. Only on rare occasions if people start to feel dizzy are we allowed to train in Gi Pants and Tshirt but if this happens we have to take our belts off.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our school just moved.

It strikes me as a place where it was always on the warm side...often uncomfortably warm. The adult class was always the last class of the day. I don't remember a day there when it was below 70. There were many days where we were opening the windows in the dead of winter trying to cool the place down.

It's been over 80 degrees inside on several days. The school is air conditioned, but the AC does not seem to be able to keep up with the heat load.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been cold enough that I've decided to run a street-clothes class so people could put their shoes back on (that day my feet went numb was an experience I have no desire to repeat)... it's been hot enough to need water breaks. Part of the problem is the room we use is a converted racquetball court (turned into a dance studio - great wood floor, wall of mirrors, etc.) - so all the vents are in the ceiling, 2 stories up.

OP
donna

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
We dont have airconditioning, so when it gets to 45C or around 110 F it can be an ordeal to train.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the garage I train in, it was 110 the other day outside, and you definately feel warmer in the garage than outside. I train in a tank top and pair of shorts. The key is to drink water all day before training, and an energy bar 30 minutes before the start of class.

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Even though our winters can get kind of cold, it doesn't usually affect the dojang. However, the summers can get pretty hot, and though I'm not sure what the temperature in the dojang is, it gets hot enough that we have to put in a fan or two if we don't want anybody to faint.
We used to have air conditioning, but I think it broke.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yep! Here in Hawaii we do have tempertures too. It will vary due to the winds. If not blowing it is warmer.

We do have ceiling fans. Do drink lots of water and take lots of breaks if extreme heats hit you guys.

Enjoy your training....Aloha

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sweat it out. Heavyweight gi even in the summer. I love that feeling. I know I had a great workout. But definitely drink lots of water! :)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago during a training session on a very hot, sticky summer afternoon I spoke with Mr. Seiyu Oyata (10th dan, Okinawan Kempo) and asked about training in Okinawa's subtropical climate - which is so HOT and HUMID that it's like breathing hot chicken soup.

He laughed and said that they train either in the early morning or in the evening when it's cooler. Only Americans are crazy enough to train during the hottest part of the day.

"Duh." Oops.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As with most of my answers, I have to go two ways with this:

My instructor's school in PA has a heater for the winter and a heater for the summer...that wasn't a typo. He has been known to turn the heater on in August...sick, sick man (but in such days, we allow tshirts and karategi pants. We run outside regardless of the weather (2 miles on regular days, 4 miles underbelt test and 8-10 miles black belt test).

In Tennessee, the school is much more customer focused. I got in trouble for turning the AC off when it was in the upper 80s outside. But in TN, full karategi, all the time.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah, you betcha. In M'sota, it was 95-97° last week. This week 85, but now we have a cold front, 60-65° absolutely perfect training temperature. They have a saying here, that if you don't like the weather, wait a moment and it will change.

We have heat and airconditioning but neither work well especially when not turned on from the previous night. But today we could throw open the windows and enjoy the fresh air. TW