Optional Clothing Training?

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Agreed Still Learning...different shoes, different ground surfaces, they do make a difference.

And your method of speech can be challenging sometimes (at least for me), but it is understandable...the fact that you work hard to express your opinion is impressive.:)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll come at this from the opposite direction. In my class we have no uniforms. Ever. People work out in jeans, in sweats, different kinds of shoes and even barefoot, and in my case sometimes an ankle-length skirt.

Granted, I'm a MA novice so I'm sure that I'm missing a lot here. But if practicing in street clothes is such a great idea ... why use uniforms at all?
Mostly, I think, because I can't afford to have all my clothes jacked up at a self defense class. Buying a uniform that's durable enough for training saves my street clothes for other things.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Steve, that also makes sense. My own solution to that was to hit up the thrift store for some clothes just for MA - one pair of gym pants, one pair of camo pants, a sweatshirt, a couple tee shirts, and the infamous skirt. To each their own.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always been well served by simple white pants with matching white shoes and hat.

Classic look for my dojo, although the "Grand Master" wears red.

:)

Mark

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the thread NICE martial artists wear skirts!:

To return to the original topic - I periodically train in street clothes (those are, after all, what one is most likely to need to defend oneself in), and I teach classes in which my students come in street clothes and train in them, for the same reason. Granted, 90% of the time, street clothes for me means jeans and a t-shirt - but even sneakers can throw off your focus if you're not used to kicking in them. Sandals or dress shoes that come off at the first technique can throw you off - one of the things we practice is kicking your shoes off at the first attack, so as not to be hindered by them if they're likely to fall off anyway. On the other hand, spike heels are a great weapon, especially aimed at the instep following a shin rake.

You will respond as you train - and if you only train in a uniform, or gym clothes, that will likely hamper your response when you try anything else. Training in street clothes is a valuable technique, and I highly recommend it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like this?

I often say "The dojang is for learning to do the techniques in an ideal practice environment, but I don't really own a technique until I can do it in street clothes out of the dojang"

Last edited by a moderator:

rdonovan1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JKS and Letch, I appreciate your responses. My question probably came across as "why do surgeons wear gloves?" But I think that asking obvious questions can be very useful. Someone once told me the invention of the mouse came about when one designer asked why all commands are done via keyboard.

Besides. As a novice, I have an excuse for asking dumb questions. :wink2: I may as well milk it, right?

I may be alone on this, but I personally don't believe that there is a such thing as a stupid question at all.

rdonovan1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't see myself training naked at all. I figure that if I am going to train then it is going to be either in a uniform or in some type of street clothe's as I know that I definitely am not going outside buck naked unless of course I am in some area that is very, very secluded like way out in the wilderness or something like that.

I figure that if I am going to be naked then it will be when I'm either with a girl that I really like or doing something like taking a bath or a shower. That's just me though. Other's may have different attitudes and opinions about the subject.

Latest Discussions