training etiquete

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all my life I have only trained without using my dobok or gi twice or three times, I really don't like it.

For me the dojang/dojo is a place that deserves respect as do my sambonim/sensei and fellow students, the way we have to dress is a clean dobok or gi period.

When I get inside the dojo/dojang and see people wearing just the pants and a tshirt (no matter the color of it) I really feel desapointed.

If sambonim show us respect wearing his clean dobok and belt then all the students must wear teir clean dobok and belt, it's a matter of order too.

Uniformity and cleanliness is very importante to me.

Excuses are alot, oh sorry sambonim I wash my dobok yesterday and still wet... sorry my dobok was so dirty that I could not bring it with me..... and so on.

Every student must have at least two doboks/gis so when one of them is dirty or worn or he/she could use the other one.

Maybe I am too cranky but it's my way of thinking.

Manny

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Manny, my approach to this kind of thing is "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". So if it's apparent or communicated that pants and a school t-shirt is OK, then I don't have a problem with that. I prefer to wear the full uniform myself, but at our school (at least in the summer) t-shirts are allowed so I don't let it bother me when I see students show up in just the pants and t-shirt. One adult student rolls his uniform top sleeves up past his elbows. I would never do that personally, but to each his own I guess.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our club is pretty much no uniform = no training. On the very odd occasion I saw someone wear a shirt and they stand at the back and do not line up in their normal rank order. I like it because of the uniformity, Id have no problem with shirts if everyone wore a shirt but I do believe all students should be in the same uniform.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would prefer everyone show up in a uniform also, but if they can't, they can't.

As a teacher, I'd rather have someone come to class and learn even if they aren't wearing the traditional garb. And if their only uniform is dirty and smelly, well, let me say that a t-shirt and sweatpants would be a GREAT alternative. :)

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach at a YMCA, and I have students on scholarship to the Y. They can't afford a dobak. We've always had students that way. In the past head instructors have been able to afford helping such students, but I'm not able to do that. I also have an advanced belt that hit a growth spurt and doesn't fit into hers anymore. Her parents haven't bought her a new one yet, so my highest green belt wears sweat pants and a t-shirt. It's just something we deal with.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We train in full uniform in our formal classes. Once in a while, a child will have lost all or part of his or her gi and will wear other clothing; we allow that, but they are expected to find it or get another by the next week. They aren't required to buy them from us, but they can.

In informal workout get-togethers, and demo team practice, we wear gi pants and t-shirts. Outdoors, we wear gym clothes.

Anyone giving a test or judging at a tournament is required to wear full gi. I like that; I think it looks tacky not to dress in for a formal occasion. YMMV.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I very very rarely wear my dobak top or my belt during summer sparring sessions; a lot of the time my instructor does the same. When I teach, I always wear a full dobak. Judo, I always wear the full gi since so many of our techniques rely on it. Also, as bad as it may sound I have a lot more leeway in the TKD dojang than with the Judo guys.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did make it a rule that it's full dobak or gym clothes, no halfway doing it. Which I had to turn around and get on an instructor for breaking the rule the next night.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
During the week, it's full uniform or sit on the bleachers. But we do have "casual" Saturdays, where the students can wear a Taekwondo t-shirt and warmup pants. That's quite clearly posted as part of the school rules.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We take our cue from the teacher, who wears gi bottoms and t-shirts because they are comfortable; the more formal the occasion, the more formal the dress and behavior. We are fortunate in that being a small class, if a student doesn't have the finances to purchase a gi, there are old ones kicking around in closets that can be gifted.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have students wear full dobok, except in the summer time. Then, students can wear the school t-shirt, dobok pants & belt. I rarely wear a t-shirt, I like to wear full dobok, but sometimes I do.

I don't allow my students to wear their dobok top or belt outside of class. I want them to keep their dobok a unique part of their day. It's for a special purpose, not to go to the grocery store with mom.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We talk about TKD etiquete but yet we have very little when it comes to chat rooms, the way I see it what does it say if you have all the etiquete inside your school but lack it everywhere else? I wish people could see how they sound sometimes ina chat room and this includes myself, sometimes it takes someone that does not come here to tell me how insulting it was to read my post. Etiquete as a whole is going by the waist side in this country and probaly the world.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uniforms are required for class, but I do allow school T-shirts and actually prefer they wear them with no belt for sparring. Testing is full dobok only. I myself always wear a fulll dobok.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We talk about TKD etiquete but yet we have very little when it comes to chat rooms, the way I see it what does it say if you have all the etiquete inside your school but lack it everywhere else? I wish people could see how they sound sometimes ina chat room and this includes myself, sometimes it takes someone that does not come here to tell me how insulting it was to read my post. Etiquete as a whole is going by the waist side in this country and probaly the world.
Okay...In 40,000 posts I think I've seen you slip like 3 times. :asian:

It's true that without tone or emotion it can be difficult to get a true reading on intent, but for the most part, I think most here intend respect toward each other. Unlike when you and I became mods, it was pretty unruly here. To your point though, that is not true on all sites.

Latest Discussions