Training at the park

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school hosted Sifu Dan Inosanto today so most of the classes were canceled. Rather than canceling my TKD class, we held it in the park. Hogu drills in 60 degree drizzling rain-it was fun except for the occasional mud in the face.

We train outside in the parking lot of the school frequently during the Summer and at a nearby city park on occasion. I like training outside though sometimes Michigan weather is uncooperative. Rain is okay but I draw the line when lightening is striking. I haven't held class outside in the snow...

Do you train outside? If so, is this a regular occurrence or special training? What do you like about it?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the old school I attended we worked outside quite a lot. Other than the 100+ degree days, I enjoyed working outside. Sometimes it was a pain because of the rube neckers and the yung bucks who wanted to prove themselves by being tough to a guy wearing a kung f uniform. Fortunately the latter didn't happen often.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have training camps on the beach where we camp for 2 or 3 days and have 2 sessions a day on the beach. It is great fun, the sand allows for soft landings when practicing throws and falls. Sparring knee deep in the surf is good when its warm enough and sparring in the soft sand is a good workout for the legs. Other than some sand kicked in the eyes its great fun.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well being in CA we train outside one a week if not twice a week sometimes. We run weekly rain or shine. During those runs we always do training as well.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train outside often in the summer. As ATC said, it's easier to do here. When I lived in Chicago in college (many moons ago) my best friend & I decided to lead "warm-ups" by running barefoot in the ice and snow and freezing temps around the block of the dojang. There were about ten of us. It was awful, but it was quite a bonding experience. And we never did it again. But we can always say, "when I was your age I....." :)

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We train outside at the park every Wednesday from May to September. Too cold in the winter. I absolutely love it. When it gets hot, you work up a good sweat and get real limber. The heat also keeps away those less serious about their training.
Jim

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we never trained outside (lack of outside space) but some days it would have been better than inside in the sweltering heat. At least outside you have a chance of a breeze...

We did do a demo outside once though, that was fun...after we got there we found the stage to be too small for us, so we did it in front on the asphalt. And we do not wear shoes...and the asphalt was not very smooth...

airs.jpg

my streetfighter days...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We some times run in the woods or climb the rocks. Working out on a street surface or that of the countyside is always fun and educational

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Once every blue moon when we have a real big storm I take the class out in the middle of it to do pushups on the sidewalk. Just "because"... when we get back in everyone is drenched (if its summer), frozen (if its winter) and I tell them that the story they tell about it tomorrow will be different than the story they tell about it today and that THAT story will be different than the one they tell about it in 10, 20 or 30 years from now but they will NEVER forget that we went out and did it.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We trained outside yesterday in the drizzle too...local HS football stadium. Laps, sprints, bleacher work, footwork and kicking drills. Competition team practice in prep for JO's/Nationals. We run outside 4 times a week, but regular practice or class outside is pretty rare.

Carl

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in the day when my daughter was on demo team, there was 1 summer when they must have done a demo every weekend. If they could find a few feet of open space at an event, they would. Didn't matter, grass, gravel, dirt, concrete, asphalt, hardwood or mats. With or without shoes.

For the first year of Team X, we practiced on Tim's driveway. 1st several months without mats and then his dad gave us some old used mats that we would throw together and tear down day after day on his driveway. If for some reason the driveway was not available, we would head over to a park.

Outdoor training and demos are great fun.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although not a regular occurrence the places outside I've gotten to train at with previous schools included at the beach and the grass outside the dojo. Usually only went outside during the nice warm summer. Always fun to mix it up a bit (And to not rely on mirrors!)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once every blue moon when we have a real big storm I take the class out in the middle of it to do pushups on the sidewalk. Just "because"... when we get back in everyone is drenched (if its summer), frozen (if its winter) and I tell them that the story they tell about it tomorrow will be different than the story they tell about it today and that THAT story will be different than the one they tell about it in 10, 20 or 30 years from now but they will NEVER forget that we went out and did it.

I would never do anything like that, making people get drenched or frozen, for the point that you are trying to make. But that's just me. Did you learn that from someone or did you come up with that on your own?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we never trained outside (lack of outside space) but some days it would have been better than inside in the sweltering heat. At least outside you have a chance of a breeze...

We did do a demo outside once though, that was fun...after we got there we found the stage to be too small for us, so we did it in front on the asphalt. And we do not wear shoes...and the asphalt was not very smooth...

airs.jpg

my streetfighter days...
Nice pic! Is that you? You sure look different (and not nearly as tall!) in your avatar.

Daniel

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than canceling my TKD class, we held it in the park. Hogu drills in 60 degree drizzling rain-it was fun except for the occasional mud in the face.

We train outside in the parking lot of the school frequently during the Summer and at a nearby city park on occasion. I like training outside though sometimes Michigan weather is uncooperative. Rain is okay but I draw the line when lightening is striking. I haven't held class outside in the snow...

Do you train outside? If so, is this a regular occurrence or special training? What do you like about it?

I'm glad to hear that you provide your students with this type of training. Far too few Dojos/Dojangs provide training outside of the normal. Perhaps sport training can disregard what outdoor training provides, but self-defense training requires it.

We often utilized outdoor training. We would train on asphalt, grass, sidewalks, sloping surfaces, between cars, on stairs, standing, ground, inside a vehicle, inside an elevator, in a bedroom and so forth. Anywhere that a real world altercation could occur we trained.

Often times we trained in street clothing. The student needs to realize the difference between being warmed up/stretched out in a loose fitting uniform and wearing jeans or a dress. They need to feel what it is like to wear sneakers or dress shoes occassionally. Or a jacket. Or a T-shirt and shorts. You get the idea. Simply change it up so that it not only stays fresh and interesting but puts as much realism as possible into the training.

I would also mention training in dim light situations as often as possible since many attackers occur in these conditions. Turn out the lights except for some small backlight source. Just some thoughts :)