Elbow strike to PALM - Why?

Jason E. Messerman

White Belt
Reaction score
In the Taegeuk forms, Why is an elbow strike delivered to the palm (along with crescent kicks, etc.)?

I've researched this online, in my manual, and I don't have an instructor anymore.

I figure it is to get a certain "feeling of impact" and perhaps to prevent some hyper-extension of the muscles.

I have noticed that higher elbow strikes done in-line with the leading leg (for example: left leading leg/ left elbow strike) this is not done.

Could someone tell me what the main significance is and whether it helps prevent "tennis elbow" (pardon the pun.)

Thanks!

Jason

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Two good reasons.
1. Aim and control/feel
2. Actual usage. You are grabbing your opponents neck/head and pulling/holding him in to your strike.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big moves like elbows are generally proceeded my a preparatory move. It could also come from a grappling situation where your hand ends up behind their head and directs their head into your elbow. As your hand goes past their face you could hit with a palm strike to their face rocking their head back, then your hand would end up behind their head and finish with a pull into your elbow. Anyway, it is a simulation of the above movement.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jason,

In the Taeguk forms, the elbow hitting the palm is supposed to be the one arm grabbing the opponent and the other delivering the elbow. The cresent kick (depending on which taeguek) is a backfist first to the head, then the kick to palm.

You can see each form and its application moves; see this here:
http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/viewfront/eng/data/technique_trunk2.jsp

Every movement has a "practical application" that you are performing. Its not just rythmic dancing!

If you want a book, Try this book, http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/9243.htm

or spring the extra loot and get this one
http://www.amazon.com/TAEKWONDO-Textbook-Kukkiwon/dp/B000QG1EMQ

be warned.... its movements and terms are korean, so if you dont know them.....

but the website is free.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. Don't know if the TKD form is the same as the one I know.

We had a form that we did in my Hapkido-Karate training that included the elbow strike to palm. See below. The palm is actually on one side of a person's head when you smack the other side with the elbow.

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 218
  • $2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 212

VinsonTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree with some above. The open hand it showing where your target is (aka you grabbing their head/hair) and pulling it into the strike.

This is sort of similar to Tai knees to the head. The usually grab two hands behind opponents head and pull it into the strike for twice the power (and control).

Plus, in forms, you are demonstrating that you can do certain techniques. So, it's a demonstration of your control and accuracy as well.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Several of the ITF patters have a similar action.

Coong Moo and Toi Gye have an action where you grab the shoulders or behind the head, and then pull down while doing an upward knee strike.

Yul Guk has the same motion you have where you grab the opponent behind the head, and then pull forward and strike with the elbow.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's just a variation on the old classic "grab 'em and hit 'em" strategy. It's all over all teh Shotokan katas and the various TKD poomse/tuls that decended from those katas.

So, like everyone else said. the open palm is holding someting 9proabbl a head) and the elbos strike is smashing something like a face.

For example, in Taeguk 5, the setup is a side kick with a simultaneous punch, (in reality, the kick would be low, most likely benidin g the target over, the punch serves as a grab for the head)...this sets up the subsequent strike to the head quite nicely.

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two good reasons.
1. Aim and control/feel
2. Actual usage. You are grabbing your opponents neck/head and pulling/holding him in to your strike.

That's my sambunim says, you are grabbing/pulling the head of the oponent to smash the elbow on it.

Manny

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you try to deliver an elbow to someone's head, it's pretty easy for the other person to avoid with a small backwards or sideways motion. The other hand on the back of their head/neck (or side, depending on the form) prevents this rather nicely, and greatly enhances the effect of the elbow strike.

Plus, it looks and sounds a lot cooler. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(some 2000 years ago a fly landed on the Masters elbow as he demonstrated the form to his students. He swatted said fly without stopping his form and it has been made part of it ever since)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
(some 2000 years ago a fly landed on the Masters elbow as he demonstrated the form to his students. He swatted said fly without stopping his form and it has been made part of it ever since)

Nice!
When reading about the AAU/USAT drama, I increasingly find myself practicing the 'swat fly on forehead' technique.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another "application" of this combination is found in the Filipino martial arts where the palm is parrying the opponent's punch into your elbow. This is the paradigm shift I learned by cross-training in other arts. If you practice this combination against a punch, make sure the puncher has on heavy boxing gloves because when it is knuckles versus elbow, elbow always wins.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another "application" of this combination is found in the Filipino martial arts where the palm is parrying the opponent's punch into your elbow. This is the paradigm shift I learned by cross-training in other arts. If you practice this combination against a punch, make sure the puncher has on heavy boxing gloves because when it is knuckles versus elbow, elbow always wins.
I have placed my elbow in front of targets before but have never thought of parrying weaopons into my elbow. That sounds way cool.%-}
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I knew there was an explanation, other than my made up legend! :lol: